Royal Mail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Mail Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

2.4

Postman/Woman Driver and Delivery Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barnstaple, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Barnstaple, England (UK)).

Interview

Lovely interview with just the manager. Did all the paperwork first and then he read out a set of std questions. .(haven't quoted the questions exactly but there were roughly the same as what everyone else posted on here). I passed interview but didn't get role ..now on waiting list.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Royal Mail as a postwoman?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent team activity at work.   Answer Question
    • Asked about what safety measures I would expect to see or be aware of in work place.   Answer Question
    • Asked me what checks I'd do to the car before leaving on a round.   Answer Question

Postman/Woman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cannock, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Cannock, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of three main parts the first being checking of documents. When invited for interview you are sent information of documents required both originals and copies, make sure you take along the originals .
    The first set of questions are example based based questions - about 6 of these.
    Then following a brief description of the job role and how it works about 3 questions relating to work competency.
    Finally you get the opportunity to ask questions and as you leave you will be asked to read out the registration of a vehicle in the car park.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you have worked in a team, what was your role and the outcome   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you have dealt with a difficult customer, what was the problem, how did you react and handle it, what were your actions and the outcome and how did you feel.   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with change; give an example when you have been asked to change what you are doing at short notice and how you went about this   Answer Question
    • Health and Safety is everyone's responsibility in the workplace, what things would you consider in reviewing this in your workplace and what actions would you take?   1 Answer
    • What checks would you conduct on a vehicle before taking it out?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Consider your home life and if this fits in with you - requirement to work most Saturdays, you won't know until the start of the week what your duties are likely to be the next week and so what day you will have off, so not great if you need to consider long-term childcare provision. There is also the expectation that if you haven't finished you round in the duty time, you will stay on and finish it on overtime, however long it takes -so if you need to finish on time, you need to consider this.

Postman/Postwoman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glastonbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Glastonbury, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Royal Mail website, very straightforward online form where you can upload your CV. After you submit your application you should receive an email to complete an online test to be completed.

The first part of the online test is a personality quiz to see if you align with the values required for the role. The second part is a test of your quality assurance for checking codes/numbers against a set of codes or numbers. This is a timed assessment which I find harder as it went along. And usually timed out for the very last question (8) before I have finished the last line.

After a good couple of weeks you may be contacted for an interview, at this point I had applied for three roles at different times and heard nothing from the first application and after two weeks heard from one. I was invited for an interview and given a window in which I could attend.

The interview was in two stages, the first was to check I had all relevant documents to ensure I was legible to work in the U.K. If you do not have this you will not go forward to the next stage so it is very important that you read the instructions thoroughly. The passport photocopy you should provide the out cover as well as the copy of the picture page.

The second part of the interview was conducted as a competency test, asking various questions to test how you perform in different circumstances, why you want to work at Royal Mail, safety considerations to look out for etc.. These should be answered in the format:
    Situation and Task, explain circumstances and the task at hand
    Action: what action did you take, speak personally 'I did...' rather than 'we...'
    Result: what overall outcome was from what you personally did

After the interview I was notified a couple of days later that other candidates had scored more highly but I could be shortlisted for other roles by using the link in the email they sent me.

Interview Questions

• What vehicle check would you undertake before setting off?   1 Answer
    • Can you think of a time when their was a safety risk at work and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • Royal Mail regard itself highly for a quality service. Can you think of a time when you delivered a high quality service?   Answer Question

Delivery Driver and Postwomen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folkestone, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Folkestone, England (UK)).

Interview

One to one. Relaxed and asked a series of standard questions. I received an email a week later to say I hadn't got the exact job but that I had passed the interview and am now on the waiting list for three months. If another job comes up, then I just apply but will not need to go through the interview process again within the three months.

Interview Questions

• What checks would you make on your vehicle.   1 Answer

Postman/Postwoman With Driving Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Mail in February 2017.

Interview

Informal and straightforward, seen by manager on his own,some questions are difficult dependant upon your background and previous work experience. Emphasis appeared to be on being able to work as a team and flexibility around working overtime, weekends etc . I found the online test more taxing than the interview ! Don't forget all your id documents and photocopies of them. You don't necessarily get turned away but it shows an ability to be organised. Awaiting result of interview

Interview Questions

• Give an occasion when you've had a stressful situation at work and how you've dealt with it   Answer Question
    • Give an occasion when you've made a change to a work related matter and how it improved the organisation.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of your flexibility when working   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working in all weathers particularly very cold and wet conditions   Answer Question
    • What things would you check on a vehicle before you started your round.   Answer Question

Grad Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Mail.

Interview

I had to complete:
    Online application form
    Online Situational Judgement Test, Numerical and Verbal reasoning
    Assessment Centre which involved: 60 min Interview, group exercise, case study and presentation
    Waiting to hear back from them now

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Royal Mail? What motivated you to apply?   8 Answers

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Assessment day was held at a hotel in Swindon. The day started with a presentation they give you about the company and the job role. Two graduates accompany you the whole day, which made the whole experience more enjoyable.
    The day is split into 3 parts:
    Group exercise
    presentation
    interview

Lunch is provided.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Royal Mail (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Hugely unprofessional interview with the person who would be my manager and the person I would be replacing. Spent most of the interview talking amongst themselves about things that had nothing to do with the role, didn't ask any competency questions, despite sending a sheet of more than 20 of them to prepare. Worst of all one of them kept checking his phone. Stopped asking me anything after 20 minutes and left me asking them questions for 10 minutes. Felt like a complete waste of time from start to finish.

Postman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Norwich, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Bit chaotic as busy on the day I was interviewed. Was made to standing in sorting area for about 20mins. The chap doing the interview was very pleasant though and explained that he had to follow the set questions in front of him. Thank god I had thought to check on this website for interview questions to prime myself as I thought it might be less formal and structured.

Interview Questions

• set questions - explain a situation where you displayed resilience at work, why work for Royal Mail, explain where you saw a breach of health and safety at work, explain how you react to change at work, describe a new process you came up with to improve work efficiency.   Answer Question

Delivery Driver and Postwomen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Axminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Axminster, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, completing two Talent Q group tests. One of which was a personality based questionnaire, which was lengthly and repetitive, but fairly easy. My answers focused mainly on positive interaction with people and good attitude. The second of which was a numerical test where you had to check that long strings of numbers match up correctly to each other. I feel I did well in these and received an email saying I had got through to an interview, which was great.

I turned up for my interview at the address and time supplied on the email, however the delivery office was closed as I realised I had been given an interview out of opening hours. I wondered around the 'no public access area' in the delivery area but everywhere was deserted. Whilst I was checking the email incase I had missed any information about where to go or what to do, I luckily bumped into a kind royal mail worker that took me through to a difficult to see entrance to the warehouse and through to a small office. I was then told that I was not expected as the manager wasn't there, and there was someone from a different office covering for him.
    I was then sat down whilst the 'interviewer' looked around for my cv, gave it a quick glance, and then took me through the basics of working for royal mail, which mainly focused on the negatives (bad weather, vicious animals, tiring, hard work etc), but I knew what I was getting myself in for as my brother has been a postman ,and thought I would fit the job well. I was then told that the manager would be in touch in a few days to reschedule another interview. This was slightly disappointing as I had made the effort to prepare for the interview and drive to the location, but they had not made the effort to let me know in advance that the interview would not be happening.

A couple days later I received an automated email telling me 'We are sorry to have to tell you that due to unforeseen circumstances this vacancy has now been withdrawn.' Quite annoying but continued to apply for other Royal Mail jobs.

Then, nearly three weeks later, I received an email saying that the vacancy I had applied for originally had been changed from 30 hours to 24 hours, and that this will be covered with me in an interview. I thought great, as now the process can continue and I will be able to have the interview as I was scheduled for, and waited for them to send me another booking. However, a few days later, I was just sent 'We are sorry to inform you that on this occasion your application has not been successful as you did not meet the criteria for this role.'

I thought this was very unfair as I had successfully completed the application process and was not even given the opportunity of an interview, been messed around and had my time wasted.

The only thing I can think of as to why they decided my application was unsuccessful is that they prejudged me when I came to my interview, perhaps as I am a young female, without ever being given the chance to show that I was capable of enduring difficult physical exercise, lifting and have lots of experience in customer service.

Overall a very poor process!