Ryan Homes Sales and Marketing Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 31, 2017

3.4

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ryan Homes (Richmond, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

Apply online, phone screen then move to 4 1 hour back to back interviews. The people here are absolutely great people and fantastic leaders. I unfortunately was not selected to move forward however I do appreciate each and every person I had the privilege of interviewing with. Interviews are personable and behavioral based questions none of which were out of the ordinary. I can honestly admit having not interviewed in 12 years probably did not assist me much as times have really changed. I will say again this is a great company and the sky is the limit with them. Ryan prides itself on putting the right people in the right place and I just was not the right person on that day. I would say overall the process is not long compared to the benefits in the long run. I will retool and come back stronger when permitted to do so. If I had one thing I wish could be different it would be that they would share follow up with you so you could work on the areas of need for other job searches. I do understand though why they choose not to share though.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Ryan Homes

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ryan Homes (Woodbridge, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

This was a short interview given at a job fair. There were three HR supervisors presenting. They met with the applicants before the presentation. I met with the head presenter in the Model Home Library.
    She was to the point, no chit-chat. She questioned everything on my resume and made notes on it when I responded. I felt pretty good after she and I spoke and even better after the group presentation. The next day I recalled every word and realized I'd screwed up and they wouldn't be contacting me. I learned a lot from the experience. I have since made changes to my resume that she
    questioned, to make it more presentable for the next potential employer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ryan Homes (Columbus, OH) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process is long and brutal. Below is a timeline of events:

2/20 - Email from NVR/Ryan Homes
    3/1- Request for more information and documentation
    3/2 Testing and Application reviewed
    3/3 Sent thank you note sent via mail
    3/4 Interview set 3/10 at 9am
    3/10 face to face - 2 interviews (one with each sales manager for an hour each)
    3/16 face to face - 2 interviews (one with GM and Regional for an hour each)
    From this point I was told it's about a week holding pattern....

After 4 hours of interviewing, testing, providing documents, and good feedback from each manager I can a very generic thanks for interviewing, however base on the test scores we don't foresee long term success within our company. That's hard to digest when you have 5 plus years experience with one of their biggest competitors. All 4 managers could have said YES hire him, however the test scores are make or break! Seems like a waste of time to the leadership time interviewing and the candidate. With that in mind, don't get your hopes set too high as you move along the interview cycle!

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Based Interviewing

At NVR, we use an interviewing technique called “Behavioral Based Interviewing.” Please read our interviewing style to prepare for your interview. Good luck.

WHAT IS BEHAVIORAL BASED INTERVIEWING?

The behavioral based interview is founded on the premise that the best predictor of future performance is past performance. Rather than asking you directly if you have a particular skill or trait, the interviewer will ask you to provide an example of a time when you demonstrated the skill or trait he/she is seeking. These questions often will begin with phrases such as: “Tell me about a time when…” or “Describe a situation in which…”

HOW CAN I BEST ANSWER BEHAVIOR-BASED QUESTIONS?

An effective response to a behavioral based interview question will possess certain characteristics. It will be specific in describing the example situation or problem. It clearly will spell out the action taken by a candidate to resolve the situation. And it will state the result of that action or intervention.

It is called the STAR technique:

Situation/Task: Describe the situation in which you were involved or the task you need to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand you.

Action: Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did – not the efforts of the team. Don’t tell the interviewer what you might do, tell what you did.

Results: What results did you attain because of your actions? What happened? How did the event end? What did you learn?
      GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF A COMPLETE ‘STAR’ STORY.

A few months ago, a customer called me to say she was canceling her order because of previous late deliveries. I was very concerned because she had been a loyal customer over the years. I immediately called her and scheduled an appointment for us to meet. During our meeting, we spoke about the problem and I admitted that, in the past, we have had some problems that caused late deliveries. I told her I would personally ensure that her future orders would be on time by following up on each one before shipment. Because of the conversation and my promise, she agreed to give us another chance! She remained a loyal customer and still does business with the company to this day.

HOW CAN I PREPARE FOR A BEHAVIORAL INTERVIEW?

Analyze the type of position you are applying for. What skills do you think the position requires? Analyze your own background. What skills do you have that relate to your job objective?

Identify examples from your past experience when you demonstrated those skills. How can you tell a story about your use of particular skills or knowledge? Concentrate on developing complete STAR answers and remember that a good story has a beginning, a midpoint and an end. Wherever possible, quantify your results. Be prepared to provide examples of when results did not turn out as you had planned. What did you do then?

SAMPLE BEHAVIOR BASED QUESTIONS

• Tell me about a time when your work or an idea of yours was criticized. How did you react? How did you handle the situation?

• Describe a situation in which you were required to work under pressure and how you reacted?

• Describe a time when you showed initiative.

• Describe a difficult problem that you’ve had to deal with and how you resolved it.

• Describe a situation that illustrates you ability to think on your feet.

• How do you schedule your time during a typical day/week?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ryan Homes.

Interview

Phone interview with an in house recruiter that was in another state following a skills online assessment with a personality portion and a math/ problem
    Solving portion. References were requested. A face to face interview followed. A second round of in person interviews followed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you used a creative strategy or plan to increase sales. Tell me about a time you were in a stressful situation at work and how did you positively turn it around? Tell me about a time you were asked to
      Do something at work that went against your judgement. Tell me how your friends would describe you. Tell me specific ways you prioritize tasks at work.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ryan Homes in January 2016.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter and we set up a phone interview. Four days after the phone interview, I received a series of emails asking for me to upload my resume, complete a questionnaire, and take a personality test, and the management team would review. Upon completion, I heard back four days later that I would not believing forward with a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• What accomplishments are you most proud of? What books and magazines did you last read?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ryan Homes (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview process started by their recruiter finding my resume online. She emailed and requested an interview. Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. The recruiter was very nice and gave a great insight to the position, hours, pay and benefits. She gave me clear next steps! We agreed she would send my information to the hiring managers after I completed the online application and testing. The testing took about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Within a few days we set an interview to meet with two managers in my market. I interviewed with two managers, separately. Both managers were very different but equally informative and thorough. We talked about my experience as well as their goals for our market. They were not intimidating whatsoever... Two of the nicest, most experienced managers I've talked to in years (they sincerely are looking for the right fit for both parties). Within a week I was offered a position. The process was professional and overall an amazingly positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness? What would your current manager say to you if they were to give you feedback on your work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ryan Homes (Norfolk, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received request for phone interview about a week later. I was asked to give a quick summary of resume, then asked several scenario based questions. Not very difficult. Once you are passed that phase you take an online test (some math, some personality questions, some "what is the best answer" questions. Waiting to schedule interview with managers next.

Interview Questions

• Describe a scenario in which you had a difficult client. How did you remedy the situation and provide specific examples.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ryan Homes (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

The interview process started with a phone interview. This was followed by a one-on-one interview. During this interview we discussed land position, availability in regard to location, sales strategies and marketing and income potential. Approximately 1 week later I was aked to complete on-line personality, math, analysis and management Testing. Upon completion of these items I was asked to complete a Drug and Background Check. The job offer was made within a month of the initial phone interview.

Interview Questions

• In your past sales experience, how did you convert a client to buy something, when you did not have what they initially requested?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ryan Homes (Tampa, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Filled out initial application online, was contacted next day via email to do a phone interview. Scheduled it online with special credentials given in email to access calendar. Set it up for the following morning.

The phone interview lasted a little over 30 minutes and went through a pre-planned agenda of reviewing my resume and then a battery of questions followed with the opportunity to ask questions to the interviewer at the end.

Interviewer was very willing to answer questions and share information about the company.

I was asked to go to level 2 of the hiring process, which was to fill out section 2 of the online application (only accessible after a successful phone interview) and to do a 2 hour online behavioral test. I just finished those items and am awaiting their response.

Interview Questions

• What was one of your biggest challenges with a client and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ryan Homes (Cleveland, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

first you submit a resume, then you take a battery of tests which takes approximately 2 hours, then if you pass, they call you anywhere from 1-3 weeks later for a 2-3 hour interview. They then wait another 1-2 weeks until they either make an offer or send the canned thanks but no thanks letter.

Interview Questions

• what would you do to drive business to the models   1 Answer