Ryan, LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ryan, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2017

2.8

Senior Consultant Interview

Interview

Great interview process. You interview with the team, manager and principal.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC in March 2014.

Interview

Emailed cover letter to manager and was asked to come in for an office interview. First interview was with a manager and a director. Second was a phone interview with principal. Both easy interviews, going through my resume and experience.

Interview Questions

• Walked through my resume, asked why real estate, talked about the company and the position. Was basically a very long conversation more than an interview. Weren't any tough questions.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC (Dallas, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from a recruiter about two weeks later, we set up an interview date about three days later. I filled out some brief information before the interview date. I interviewed with the recruiter for about 30 minutes, then with the principal and director for another hour. The interview was very relaxed and nothing to unusual or difficult.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals and plans during your time consulting. There were a few questions about what I wanted to do as far as my career path and I find some of these questions to be difficult since you don't want to be too forward or aggressive during the interview process.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I met the Ryan recruiters at a career expo and they were very friendly and helpful. After submitting my resume they scheduled a phone interview which took about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with a team member and what did you do to resolve the problem?   Answer Question

Consultant, Sales and Use Tax Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied via my university's job search site. Initial interview was on campus and was relatively easy. Mostly asked just fit and behavioral questions. Lasted about 30 minutes. At least a month later, I got a call from a recruiter asking if I would rather interview in Houston or Dallas. I chose Houston, and they flew me there. I had 3 interviews in their office that morning, 2 with Sales & Use Tax and one with property tax. They extended me an offer about a month later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much negotiating. Was able to negotiate start date, though.

Tax Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The whole process was facilitated by my school.The interview was laid-back- the interviewer had a set of questions that s/he had to ask, and simply jotted down some notes as we went down the list of questions. They were mainly stock questions about teamwork, leadership, strengths and weaknesses, and problem solving. Very similar to "tell me about a time when you..."

Interview Questions

• In what situation did you solve a problem using a technical/analytical skill?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC (Dallas, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

The HR recruiter was a little difficult to reach and hear the status of everything. I almost took another job because of how long the process takes.

The interview itself was very layed back with my, (now) manager and (former) principal. Both were nice, professional and welcoming of my first "big" interview after graduating. No complaints about the interview itself.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions about functioning within a team and working with others. There wasn't a lot to explain about the job process itself because we are a rather specified team.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC (Dallas, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

3 separate interviews. The entire process was not overly difficult, although it was somewhat tedious and unnecessary. Many improvements could be made. There are various areas in which this company can make itself into a top company, however, they aren't there yet.

Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC (Baton Rouge, LA) in November 2013.

Interview

I was called in for a personal interview. I talked with the team leader and the head manager for the division. I was later called by a regional manager and did a phone interview. Very forward thinking and fast paced company. They like to hire young people out of college. You come in and work on your own hours and can even do your work at home if you choose. There is a little bit of traveling involved (probably one trip a month or so).

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions. Describe a time where you were faced with a challenge and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ryan, LLC (Dallas, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied from a job posting at my university. I was given a phone interview and then traveled to Dallas for 5 back-to-back interviews with two teams. I was given an offer after about two weeks. The entire process lasted a little over one month.

Interview Questions

Ryan, LLC Response

Mar 13, 2017 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review of the Interview process!

See What Ryan, LLC Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Team Leader in Dallas, TX

Pros: “In short, Ryan is a great place for high-achievers. If you welcome challenges, are creative, curious, intelligent, and have a strong work ethic, you will be successful. In the early days...”“In short, Ryan is a great place for high-achievers. If you welcome challenges, are creative, curious, intelligent, and have a strong work ethic, you will be successful. In the early days Ryan had a reputation as a sweatshop for young tax consultants. This was evidenced by the Big 4's efforts to poach senior consultants and managers in the early and mid-2000's. Now, Ryan has matured into a firm with a healthy balance of career growth and personal attention that I find refreshing and rare in the consulting / accounting / finance industry. If you are a young college grad you will grow faster and gain more experience with Ryan than with most other firms. If you are experienced and coming from another firm there will be an adjustment period as you become accustomed to Ryan's method of doing business. The long story (my personal story): I joined Ryan’s Dallas office fresh out of college in 2004 as a Finance grad from a Midwestern university. I wasn’t necessarily looking for a career in tax, but the business model and the amount of young talent was attractive. I just happened to join one of the fastest-growing and most successful sales and use tax teams in the firm (my original manager is now a practice leader). I left Ryan after two years primarily for personal and location reasons (my now-spouse lived in a city without a Ryan office), but back then a lot of people left Ryan when they were ready to settle down and start a family. The work environment was difficult to support a work-life balance. I worked in the energy industry for a few years and ended up starting a couple small businesses that provided a handsome living. Still, I had always enjoyed the people at Ryan and enjoyed the work, and after I grew my businesses about as big as they could be I still felt I had more opportunity at Ryan. I started unwinding my businesses in 2013 and re-joined Ryan, winding down my last business in late 2015. What a difference seven years made – Ryan had grown from 250 employees to 2,000 employees and had taken massive steps to improve employee retention through myRyan (go visit the website to read more - it really is unique and a lifesaver for those with kids). I now have my own team and am relocating from Dallas to the Northeast to help build out one of our practices in the region. It is an opportunity to grow both personally and financially that would be rare at a much larger firm such as the Big 4. I am well aware of the opportunities, or lack thereof, at the Big 4 based on numerous friends who work in all four firms - many of whom used to work at Ryan. Being able to view Ryan from the inside as an employee, from afar as an ex-employee, and again as an employee gives me valuable perspective that most Ryan employees do not have, as most of those who joined since 2008 have remained at Ryan. Choose an industry job if you want to work barely 40 hours a week, grow excruciatingly slow in your career, handle compliance issues every month, and decent benefits but mediocre pay. Choose the Big 4 if you want high turnover, decent pay but no life-changing opportunities and the experience of always leaving money on the table for your clients. Choose Ryan if you wish to be financially rewarded for the amount of tax you save your clients, want to work with a young and talented workforce, wish to be promoted based on results rather than seniority, and want a company with much room to grow within the market. I love working at Ryan and would recommend it to anyone who believes their desires align with my experience.” – Full Review