S&P Global Market Intelligence Database Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

S&P Global Market Intelligence Database Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence in November 2014.

Interview

Basic question about yourself and past experience. Very detail questions about your project in the resume and also the skills you mentioned in the resume. A phone interview is last for 20 mins.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for S&P Global Market Intelligence

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was quite simple. I applied through my university''s job portal. My resume got shortlisted and I was asked to schedule an interview appointment.
    On the day of the interview, there were two tasks, one was a written test and second was the interview.

Both the tasks were given a time on 30 minutes.

The test was easy but lengthy. So make sure you manage the time well.
    The interview was mostly based on your SQL skillset. The interviewer gave a scenario and asked to design a database for it. And then the whole interview went around the same database design.

Interview Questions

• The questions were quite simple. But they expect you to provide with an optimal solution for the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Horrible, Perplexing Interview Process...Not worth it !

Met these people at the career fair and got a call for 1:1 on-campus interview. They also asked me to schedule a 30-min time-slot for my interview via. the college job board. A day before the interview, I got an email saying that the interview will instead be a 1 hour interview, consisting of a 30 min Test followed by a 30 min (discussion + behavioral) interview. Since I had classes all day long, I was the first person to interview at 9:00 a.m (my originally selected time slot).

On the day of the interview, I arrived around 8:50 AM so that I could settle-in quick. But to my horror, I found the guy waiting outside for me. He told that I was actually supposed to come in at 8:30 a.m, contrary to what their email stated.

I showed him the email chain but they told me that they can't do anything about it since they had their tickets booked at 5:30 p.m and would end up missing the train if they rescheduled me. So, basically I was given 5 mins to complete the test and discuss it with the interviewer.

**S&P Capital IQ has the same set of questions each year (for Interns as well as full-time). They are a mix of Database and Algorithm questions but they really don't care about the Algorithm ones.

1) Draw an ER diagram for: People, Professionals and Companies ( Look up cracking the Code)

2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.
        - Not Exists/ Exists, Group by, Having, Count(*) functional type of queries

3) Function to check if a number is prime or composite

4) Function that prints out all the prime numbers from 2 - 100.

****In reality, they only care about Q2. So, spend all your time on that before doing the rest.

Coming back to my interview, I somehow managed to successfully complete the questions in 5 minutes and then I was asked questions about JOINS, Indexes in the 1:1 interview. Overall, I thought the interview went well and got a positive vibe from it.

Two days later, I got an ambiguous email from the Campus recruiting team saying that they would like to continue the conversation on their Super Day and would get back to me in a few days with the final dates. Since this email didn't look right, I emailed them back asking if it was an invitation for their Super Day to which I got an affirmative reply.

After torturing all the candidates from my college, who got an invite, for more than 6 weeks, I emailed them back asking for confirmation of the Super Day dates, since I had to schedule other interviews, which were going to probably conflict with S&P's self-assumed tentative dates. After a series of ignored emails, I had to seek out an acquaintance within S&P to get the HR to reply to my emails.

AND to my inexplicable surprise, instead of a date, I ended up getting a reject along with everyone from my college, for all the positions. Upon sending her the earlier email chain to the HR, I was ignored and then told that they are pretty busy to handle my case because of their meetings.

At the end of the day, they hesitantly called me and told that they do not have any more openings and the usual HR routine. Total waste of time as they're MS-SQL specific and I ended up wasting a month learning the subtle differences in the DBMS.

Hope this helps !

Interview Questions

• 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied through our college website and got a call. First round was written test and then the personal interview. Written test was pretty much easy. First question was to design a schema. second was to write few queries for the given data. Third question was to write an algorithm to print the number of prime numbers between a given range

Interview Questions

• First question was to design a schema. second was to write few queries for the given data. Third question was to write an algorithm to print the number of prime numbers between a given range   Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence in February 2011.

Interview

Presented with a 30-page skills assessment. First exercise was on database design. Second exercise was an algorithm problem using your language of choice. Third exercise was writing out complicated SQL queries.