S&P Global Market Intelligence Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

492 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of an on campus written exam followed by two in person interviews. Having passed those, they invited me to a "super-days" interview day at their office in NYC, which consisted of some networking events and three more in-person interviews. In total, I had 5 in-person interviews with 6 different people, two networking events, and an exam.

Interview Questions

• Classic computer science interview questions, asking you to write code, explain resume, time complexity of code solutions, etc. What's the difference between an interface and API?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at the school Career Fair and handed him my resume. Then applied online.

Day 3, I got a call that my resume is picked for first rounds of interview on School campus.

Day 9, First rounds:
    There was a written test, and discussion with two recruiters following it. The exam tests on database design, sql queries and basic algorithm skill.
    I couldn't complete the test on time (we were given only 20 minutes). The interviewers discussed the exam content and helped solving the queries that I did not. They were looking for approach.

Day 16, I got a call for final rounds at office, NY

Day 22: There was a reception with "one employee per every intern candidate" and had very good opportunity to network with all. There were details given and ice-breaker events
    Day 23: There were three rounds of interview(1, 2 and 1 interviewers in each round). All four of them were super cool and helpful. I was even provided manuals for a function I was supposed to use in solving a query. Again, they tested skills on design, knowledge of databases, and Querying

Day 26: I got a call from HR that I got selected. Friday was interview and they updated selection on Monday. It was amazingly quick.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a scenario and normalize. (Realize anomalies and redundancies)
      2. SQL queries (Aggregation, rank, etc.)
      3. Database knowledge (Keys, Indexes, all questions included a "when do you do it or not do it")   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

one phone interview... then followed up with an in office interview. Interviewed by VP then team I was to work with. Mostly behavioral questions, tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, etc

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Went through 6 interviews and then 1 person twice over a 3 month period. I was never called back, I had to call to be told they were going in another direction. Communication from the company was good at first but then when it became clear I wasn't getting the role. all communication stopped. I thought that was unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions, most related to previous employment and background, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence (New York, NY).

Interview

First interview was a phone screen, which covered the basics of object oriented design. Second interview came a couple months later and was on site with three individual engineers. This interview was bit more in debt, it involved 3 questions related to algorithm design, application design and a high level implementation the database objects required to store the applications data with the correct normalization. The questions were quite manageable and came from regular scenarios which would occur in most enterprise solutions. The last interview was over the phone and was strategically focused on the technologies that position required. Mostly focus on SOA and the Microsoft stack which can be used to build these type of solutions.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers asked about database isolation and optimizing a process which will have a high level of concurrency. This was not difficult for me but was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a pending offer and they matched it.

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence in November 2014.

Interview

Basic question about yourself and past experience. Very detail questions about your project in the resume and also the skills you mentioned in the resume. A phone interview is last for 20 mins.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Three interviews:-
    1. First Round(phone) :HR based interviews with general HR questions and provided a coding Quiz(Fraction point).

2. Second Round(phone): Interview with the hiring manager, general questions about my experience and courses taken at school. Discussed about my projects and how I could improve it now, and also went over the quiz.

3. Third Round (on-site) : 3 Round interviews with 4 different people(two in the last round). First round asked general question for 10 mins and provided to a coding quiz to be solved in 45 mins.

It had 4 questions ,all Data structures and OOPS based.
    1.Least Common Ancestor in a BST.
    2. Merging two sorted lists.
    3.How to Designing cache to return data faster (solution-hashtable) and how to improve it with multiple requests(multi-threading..)
    4. How to design vending Machine.

Second Round, the interviewer went over each solution and asked questions around the problem, improvements, and running times.

Third Round, two interviewers went over OOP, Design Patter, multi-threading, etc. Asked me to design and write codes for a Deck of cards for Blackjack, and some features of BlackJack Game(shuffling, players, giving cards to each player, etc).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated starting date.

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was quite simple. I applied through my university''s job portal. My resume got shortlisted and I was asked to schedule an interview appointment.
    On the day of the interview, there were two tasks, one was a written test and second was the interview.

Both the tasks were given a time on 30 minutes.

The test was easy but lengthy. So make sure you manage the time well.
    The interview was mostly based on your SQL skillset. The interviewer gave a scenario and asked to design a database for it. And then the whole interview went around the same database design.

Interview Questions

• The questions were quite simple. But they expect you to provide with an optimal solution for the problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online on my school's Job link. It is an on campus interview and I was asked to finish 4 programming questions in 30 mins. And the interviewer went through those 4 question with me together.

Interview Questions

• Design a Cache to store stock information.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at S&P Global Market Intelligence (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Horrible, Perplexing Interview Process...Not worth it !

Met these people at the career fair and got a call for 1:1 on-campus interview. They also asked me to schedule a 30-min time-slot for my interview via. the college job board. A day before the interview, I got an email saying that the interview will instead be a 1 hour interview, consisting of a 30 min Test followed by a 30 min (discussion + behavioral) interview. Since I had classes all day long, I was the first person to interview at 9:00 a.m (my originally selected time slot).

On the day of the interview, I arrived around 8:50 AM so that I could settle-in quick. But to my horror, I found the guy waiting outside for me. He told that I was actually supposed to come in at 8:30 a.m, contrary to what their email stated.

I showed him the email chain but they told me that they can't do anything about it since they had their tickets booked at 5:30 p.m and would end up missing the train if they rescheduled me. So, basically I was given 5 mins to complete the test and discuss it with the interviewer.

**S&P Capital IQ has the same set of questions each year (for Interns as well as full-time). They are a mix of Database and Algorithm questions but they really don't care about the Algorithm ones.

1) Draw an ER diagram for: People, Professionals and Companies ( Look up cracking the Code)

2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.
        - Not Exists/ Exists, Group by, Having, Count(*) functional type of queries

3) Function to check if a number is prime or composite

4) Function that prints out all the prime numbers from 2 - 100.

****In reality, they only care about Q2. So, spend all your time on that before doing the rest.

Coming back to my interview, I somehow managed to successfully complete the questions in 5 minutes and then I was asked questions about JOINS, Indexes in the 1:1 interview. Overall, I thought the interview went well and got a positive vibe from it.

Two days later, I got an ambiguous email from the Campus recruiting team saying that they would like to continue the conversation on their Super Day and would get back to me in a few days with the final dates. Since this email didn't look right, I emailed them back asking if it was an invitation for their Super Day to which I got an affirmative reply.

After torturing all the candidates from my college, who got an invite, for more than 6 weeks, I emailed them back asking for confirmation of the Super Day dates, since I had to schedule other interviews, which were going to probably conflict with S&P's self-assumed tentative dates. After a series of ignored emails, I had to seek out an acquaintance within S&P to get the HR to reply to my emails.

AND to my inexplicable surprise, instead of a date, I ended up getting a reject along with everyone from my college, for all the positions. Upon sending her the earlier email chain to the HR, I was ignored and then told that they are pretty busy to handle my case because of their meetings.

At the end of the day, they hesitantly called me and told that they do not have any more openings and the usual HR routine. Total waste of time as they're MS-SQL specific and I ended up wasting a month learning the subtle differences in the DBMS.

Hope this helps !

Interview Questions

• 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.   1 Answer