S&P Global Ratings Interview Questions | Glassdoor

S&P Global Ratings Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2017

2.9

Ratings Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online and heard back several months later they would like to set up a time for interviews. There were three sets of panel interviews that was conducted with video conferencing.

Interview Questions

• General questions to gauge interest in learning the field of finance. The interview felt more conversation based.   Answer Question

Credit Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at S&P Global Ratings.

Interview

In all, it was one phone interview and then two 30 minute video interviews on the computer. The two gentlemen leading the interviews were really nice and made it a laid back interviewing environment.

Interview Questions

• What do we do as a company? Know a lot about current economic conditions worldwide.   Answer Question

Senior Data Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at S&P Global Ratings (Centennial, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screening. Salary range too low for candidate with experience matching job requirement. Recruiter agreed they need to up the salary offer or hire fresh grad with no experience.

S&P Global Ratings CREDit Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at S&P Global Ratings (New York, NY).

Interview

The process lasted about two months and there were three parts in total.

The first part is a simple online interview where you will be asked questions on Standard & Poor's:
    -Why S&P Credit Rating? Your motivation for applying to this programme
    -What do you know about S&P?
    -Which languages do you speak?
    Really simple but work well on your answers and know well what S&P does (not only on Credit Rating but also the other divisions).

The second round of interviews are two phone calls that you will receive which are more technical than the video interview:

-Walking them through your CV and motivation for applying to this role.
    -Questions on the Balance Sheet, how all the three financial statements are connected.
    -The most recent financial crisis: what happened
    -The Euro zone crisis: reasons behind
    -Current financial news: what is happening in Europe? with the ECB/ Federal Reserve?
    -Differences on the economic systems of North Korea and the United States.

The third round is the more difficult and interesting one. This round is in London and you will be gathered among other candidates for the EMEA Credit Programme at S&P. You will have breakfast or lunch (depending on whether your interview is in the morning or afternoon) and you can get to know the candidates and analysts working there better.
    After breakfast/lunch you will be taken to different rooms where the interviewers will be seated.
    Questions are again around your motivation for S&P and situation questions (be ready to give PRECISE examples). Some examples are:
    -A situation where you had to work on a team
    -Situation where you showed leadership
    -Have you worked with programmes to handle data? Which ones? When?

There are also technical question so know your Accounting well. I was also asked again for the reasons behind the Eurozone crisis/ why was Capital Expenditure important to analyse/ what things would I consider for analysing a country's Sovereign Debt. Get to know the information provided on S&P Credit Rating's webpage on ratings well, it can always be useful in case you are asked this type of questions.

Another important TIP is to ask questions yourself. Really take the chance lo learn more about the analysts that are interviewing you, all of them have incredible insight on the day to day of a Credit Analyst.

Enjoy yourself. Really if you have made it that far for being selected to the third-round I recommend to enjoy the Recruiting Day in London and be yourself.

Interview Questions

• -Walking them through your CV and motivation for applying to this role.
      -The most recent financial crisis: what happened
      -The Euro zone crisis: reasons behind
      -Differences on the economic systems of North Korea and the United States.
      -A situation where you had to work on a team
      -Situation where you showed leadership
      -Have you worked with programmes to handle data? Which ones? When?   Answer Question

Ratings Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at S&P Global Ratings (Denver, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Three weeks after applying online, I received an email from a recruiter asking for my salary requirements and willingness to relocate. As others have experienced, 5 minutes before my scheduled phone interview, I received an email asking if I can push it back an hour due to someone else double-booking the manager's calendar. The manager on the phone was very friendly, but thought I had already spoken to HR about the role. She spoke about the role and emphasized they are looking for someone who is a good communicator, a good team fit, and someone willing to learn, rather than necessarily someone with a finance degree or Excel experience. I was offered an in-person interview the next day.

The manager was running 30 minutes late (seems to be a theme here), so I met with the other 2 team members first (separately). The first question I was asked was "Where are you from?" which is not actually legal, so I would suggest the managers prepare inexperienced team members on how to conduct an interview. The other team member said he had 5 other interviews that day and was too tired to ask me questions so I could ask questions & said that most of the people are in their 20's&30's and they are looking to hire more young workers. Again, I would suggest training your staff on proper interviewing.

The manager didn't ask me too many questions, as it appeared they had already made up their minds on hiring. The manager referred to the team as “the boys." It was very casual, if not too casual for the size of the company, and not very organized. There seemed to be a disconnect between the phone and in-person interview about what they were looking for in a candidate. I never received a courtesy rejection notification.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview (30 mins): Tell me about yourself. What other positions have you applied to? What is your experience with Excel? Do you prefer working in large or small companies?

Interview (1 hr): Tell me about yourself. Why S&P? Why the financial industry? How do you feel about data entry? Do you have experience with VLOOKUP, pivot tables, MicroStrategy, SQL?   Answer Question

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at S&P Global Ratings (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

On Campus Recruiting, Two back-to-back 45 minute interviews with Director level employees from S&P Global. Primarily asked technical questions such as listing efficiency ratios, profitability ratios, etc.that would help make a credit rating. Only real behavioral questions were: Are you good with teamwork? What are you most proud of on your resume?

Interview Questions

• How would a Trump presidency affect interest rates compared to a Clinton presidency?   2 Answers

Ratings Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at S&P Global Ratings (Denver, CO) in May 2016.

Interview

I originally applied for an internship when I was unsure of my graduation date, but turned down an interview when I found out I'd be graduating earlier. They said they'd keep my resume on file and reach out to me if anything came up. Standard HR jargon. But about a month later, a recruiter reached out to me with an actual opening they wanted to interview. This spoke volumes to me about their follow-through and operational proficiency. Throughout the process, the recruiters were very responsive and friendly.

Started with a brief phone interview with my manager's manager, then about a 4-hour in-person interview with a peer, my direct manager, and her peer; separately, about an hour each.

The phone interview was more of a get-to-know-you thing.

With the in-person interview, they seemed to adhere to a pretty standard front-and-back sided 8.5x11" questionnaire with questions about how you handle conflict, your learning style, etc. If you've been through a behavioral-based interview before, you know the type. They wanted examples and experience in relation to my ability to multi-task, handle tough situations, etc.. Additionally, the interview touched on my technical skills as they would relate to the position.

Got an offer 2-3 days later. Very smooth process.

Interview Questions

• Name a type you faced adversity within a group setting and how you overcame it   Answer Question

CREDit Analyst Program Interview

Interview

This is for the CREDit Analyst Program. Here's the numbers - 500 candidate resumes received, 100 phone interviews conducted, 28 candidates invited to super day, 10 spots for each year's analyst class. 1) The phone interviews will ask technicals there's already interview reviews on glassdoor so check them out 2) The day before Super Day is pretty chill. They will set you up a hotel and airline as long as you're not local (aka NYU or Baruch). They had a dinner event for when you arrive while you 'network' with Directors from all major departments. After the dinner they'll have like a small corny teamwork building exercise. 3) The Super Day itself can be pretty intense. You'll be a part of the morning or afternoon interview time. The whole interview REALLY relies on who you'll have. If you have a super chill director from a non-intense team (small local US government - public finance) , then it's easy cruising. If you have a former banker veteran from a bulge bracket bank (JP Morgan, Goldman, etc) that's currently managing multiple teams (corporate) then expect to get hammered on technical questions. To be safe, I'd review all the general accounting questions and review some legit literature from the S&P website that's available publicly. You'll have two or three interviewers and expect it to be 30 minutes each.

Associate Director Ratings Analytical Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at S&P Global Ratings (New York, NY).

Interview

Both product and personality questions. You need to be a good match for the culture and not only know the market. I had many rounds, both phone and in person, one on one and with two people hanging up on me :)

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at S&P Global Ratings (New York, NY).

Interview

Straightforward interview process with first a basic 30 minute interview and then a call back for a half-day series of interviews with managers and staff along with a written case study, interviews focused on if you would be a good fit with the organization and of specific job skills, case study focused on writing skills and basic financial analytical skills