SAIC Technical Writer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SAIC Technical Writer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 2, 2017

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SAIC (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Very relaxed, not intimidating, friendly staff. I was interview by two people, both were program managers. They asked about my education and hobbies, and helped break the ice.

Interview Questions

• How can you help this company?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for SAIC

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SAIC (Oklahoma City, OK) in August 2014.

Interview

After meeting with a headhunter (who interviewed me both over the phone and in person), I met with the project manager. He explained the position and what was expected (to his knowledge). We discussed my relevant work history, ability to work with different people, and reviewed some example documents I brought in my portfolio. He discussed the security and stage of the project, and I supplied my security clearance and a Gantt chart.

Interview Questions

• Why are you the best candidate for this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SAIC (Oklahoma City, OK) in June 2014.

Interview

Very pleasant interviewing process. Was thorough on what was expected in job requirements and very professional interview.
    It did take a while filling out all the necessary paperwork and all the back and forth emails. I suppose that is to be expected if you work for the government and have to have a security clearance.
    The last interview was a little intimidating because they asked me every question in the book about my background and financial history. The lady was very professional and I didn't feel too uncomfortable. I guess those types of experiences are good lessons for future interviews.

Interview Questions

• Actually at the initial interview, I was quite pleased with the interview questions. There was no high-pressured trick questions that some interviewer like to play. I value the respect and consideration of a good interviewer who doesn't play head games.
      It was the final interview that was a little more pressured. They ask everything about your background and financial history. It was a good learning experience, as I had never gone through something quite like that before.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SAIC (San Diego, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Found the job posting online at Glassdoor. Was working contract and knew SAIC as a company I wanted to work for, so I applied and submitted my resume. Took a few months before my name came up for an interview. I was contacted and given more documentation to fill out, including a complete background check by DoD form. Contacted by their nice HR department, which lead to an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have working with the defense department?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SAIC in August 2012.

Interview

I interviewed for a senior Technical Writer position. I initially had a 1:1 interview with my future manager, then a week later was brought back for Round 2. Interview lasted about 90 minutes, and was a group interview with 6 people - the team I'd be working with. The interview room set-up was disconcerting as my interviewers were in a semi circle around me and pinged questions back and forth. I was constantly shifting focus like at a tennis match. Interview itself was fairly standard questions about my experience and background. About 10 minutes into the interview I realized that the job was a much lower level than I had been told. I heard back in a week that they were going with another candidate as I was extremely over-qualified for the position and they were afraid I'd be bored. Since they'd read my resume before the interview and knew this going in, I was annoyed at the time wasted. I was told that I was also being considered for a truly senior writer position that was opening up in a month -- but I never heard anything else about it. In hindsight not getting a job was a good thing as in less than 6 months from my interview SAIC split the company and laid off the manager I would have reported to -- she'd been there 15 years.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult but surprising -- How do you handle competing deadlines, milestones and projects? This is the normal work-life of a Technical Writer. What was even more surprising was their astonishment when I gave examples of successfully doing so. They made it clear that wasn't what they were used to.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SAIC (Charleston, SC) in June 2011.

Interview

Initially had to fill out multiple documents and forms, more than half due to background check and pre-authorization of minimal clearance level.
    Phone Interview was not technical ,more so of general understanding.
    F2F Interview was three to one and not with the program manager I was to interview with, but supposedly with would-be peers, co-workers. No one had a copy of my resume, nor knew my background. Within thirty minutes of questions and requests of explanations of my background, their conversation turned to movies, current ones, what I had seen (which I am not an avid movie person thus not current), then to batman movies. The lead questioner (the one who took over the questioning of all three) actually posed the question: Which batman movie do you like best? Which batman do you consider yourself to be and why?
    (Seriously? I kind of laughed) Serious... since I did not play along the interview was over. I met with the program manager a few minutes later who didn't even have a chair in their office for me to sit in, they gave me their chair and only told me what the interview process was.
    In a second attempt with this firm, the initial phone interview was scheduled with another program manager and when the phone interview came, two people whom worked for them, called me, asking me database and infrastructure questions as they were technical SMEs, then asked me if I used MS Word, PowerPoint, Visio and Project.
    I will never consider, recommend not apply for an SAIC job again, hopefully it’s just the weirdness of Charleston.

Interview Questions

• What was my favorite Batman movie?
      Which Batman did I consider myself to be closest to and why?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SAIC (McLean, VA) in December 2010.

Interview

Got an email to answer questions, sent them back, contacted again by recruiter to arrange interview, came in for face to face interview, had to come back to meet manager, came in for 2nd interview. Made initial offer and then did background/drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't see a need, offer was more than what I asked for. Very nice.