SAS Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SAS Institute Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

6 month hiring process - HR moved slow with limited feedback - benefits are great pay is on low side seems to be very stable place to work great gym and fitness area hiring manager worked to reduce lag time from HR over all positive experience

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a story when things didn't go your way and how it turned out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR moved very slow.

Senior Analytics Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. The interview questions are not difficult. I am not sure what skills they are looking for. The whole process took 4 weeks. No on-site interview though.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge in your most recent project?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Received call from two managers. Easy to talk to, but they did not ask any specific questions nor lead the interview in any direction. They were nice but it was hard to tell what they wanted to know specifically.

Technical Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

I was asked mainly about previous experience and coursework as listed on my resume. Most of the programming questions asked were related to work I had previously done. I was asked details about the languages/technologies I used in the work listed on my resume as well as the percentage of my work done in each technology. Some basic questions not related to the work on my resume were asked as well, related to topics such as exception handling.

R3 Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SAS Institute (New York, NY).

Interview

I had 3 phone interviews; one with a university recruiting coordinator, one with an employee who was previously an R3 intern, and one with a technical manager. The interviews were all less than 30 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• When was a time where you saw something was done inefficiently and changed it?   Answer Question

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in November 2016.

Interview

Initial 30 minute phone screen with HR rep, lightly technical in nature. Follow up call with hiring manager, approximately 30 minutes, primarily discussion about role specifics and resume. Follow up technical interview by telephone, one hour in length. Finally, on-site technical interview consisting of a one hour whiteboard session with the hiring manager, a half-hour technical discussion with a manager one level up from the hiring manager, an approximately 20 minute presentation on a topic of my choosing, and closed with a 30-ish minute discussion with HR rep about benefits at SAS.

Radio silence for about a week and a half. I reached out for an update, and was informed via email that I was no longer being considered for the role.

Interview Questions

• How would you architect a system to do X, as an intermediary between systems Y and Z? Very open-ended.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about Cassandra.   Answer Question

R&D Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in November 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with three people. Very straight forward. Took about 25 minutes. Talked about my skill level,dissertation and resume. Then they asked me for two references later that day and called my references the next day. I got the offer couple of hours after they talked with my references. Everything went very smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Mostly talked about my dissertation and one thing from my resume that they care about.   1 Answer
    • What do you want to do after graduation?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone screening interview from HR about 2-3 weeks later, then another phone interview with a hiring manager about a week later. Final interview was on site and included an hour worth of behavior and background questions. Very positive experience. Most questions are pretty general, but some can range to more technical.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with a customer where you didn't at first know how to assist them   Answer Question

Reception Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC).

Interview

Very friendly staff. They make you feel very welcome. They do a great job of explaining how everything works and what to expect. They are very straight forward which is nice because that leaves no surprises.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a security threat?   2 Answers

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by email to congratulate me that I had been selected for a phone interview. The process from the phone interview to the on-site presentation on a made up project with the audience of 10+ acting as the made-up customer took less than 2 weeks. An HR contact was never involved with the process. If they had been, I would have shared my opinion of the process directly with them. I honestly felt they were judging more on your ability to act out this made up project update and how you could handle questions posed in a confrontational manner with no direct background to the questions (just really addressing how you can handle confrontational situations on the fly with an upset customer). I would just suggest when you get to the phase of presenting to the "customer", just practice over and over your main lines/messages and be ready for questions like the below. Keep in mind for the questions below they only give you enough info on the project (which you can make up to be whatever subject matter) to ensure you know it is very late and running way over budget.

The most frustrating part of the entire process was absolutely no follow-up. I sent 3 email follow-ups (I did not write a hand written note so may be a negative) to the hiring manager thanking her and requesting she let me know if I could provide any additional information to demonstrate my skill level and interest in the position. I have always thought how wonderful it would be to work for this company, but to be honest just the lack of a follow-up, "Thank you for your interest in the position, but we have selected another candidate" would have been a respective response, Given the interview audience was ~12 individuals at one time for one full hour, this was a significant influence and investment by SAS resources for the process, The last closing step would have left a VERY different opinion of SAS as a company and the brand they represent. I am just sharing this (as someone else indicated this same feedback,(they never received a follow-up at all), so you are not surprised when there is never a follow-up and don't take it personal.

Interview Questions

• "You knew (which there was no where this was provided ) we had a regulation which had to be met by XX date, it is completely unacceptable for us to miss our delivery date and how are "we/SAS" going to hold the date regardless of my excuses?"   2 Answers
    • "We spent $125K on travel already booked to have all our employees fly in for training on XX date and you are now saying this is X months late. How are you going to cover all the expenses on training I have already spent?"   1 Answer