SAS Institute Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SAS Institute Project Manager Interview Questions

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by email to congratulate me that I had been selected for a phone interview. The process from the phone interview to the on-site presentation on a made up project with the audience of 10+ acting as the made-up customer took less than 2 weeks. An HR contact was never involved with the process. If they had been, I would have shared my opinion of the process directly with them. I honestly felt they were judging more on your ability to act out this made up project update and how you could handle questions posed in a confrontational manner with no direct background to the questions (just really addressing how you can handle confrontational situations on the fly with an upset customer). I would just suggest when you get to the phase of presenting to the "customer", just practice over and over your main lines/messages and be ready for questions like the below. Keep in mind for the questions below they only give you enough info on the project (which you can make up to be whatever subject matter) to ensure you know it is very late and running way over budget.

The most frustrating part of the entire process was absolutely no follow-up. I sent 3 email follow-ups (I did not write a hand written note so may be a negative) to the hiring manager thanking her and requesting she let me know if I could provide any additional information to demonstrate my skill level and interest in the position. I have always thought how wonderful it would be to work for this company, but to be honest just the lack of a follow-up, "Thank you for your interest in the position, but we have selected another candidate" would have been a respective response, Given the interview audience was ~12 individuals at one time for one full hour, this was a significant influence and investment by SAS resources for the process, The last closing step would have left a VERY different opinion of SAS as a company and the brand they represent. I am just sharing this (as someone else indicated this same feedback,(they never received a follow-up at all), so you are not surprised when there is never a follow-up and don't take it personal.

Interview Questions

• "You knew (which there was no where this was provided ) we had a regulation which had to be met by XX date, it is completely unacceptable for us to miss our delivery date and how are "we/SAS" going to hold the date regardless of my excuses?"   2 Answers
  • "We spent $125K on travel already booked to have all our employees fly in for training on XX date and you are now saying this is X months late. How are you going to cover all the expenses on training I have already spent?"   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for SAS Institute

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC).

Interview

The initial phone screen with the manager went very well. After being selected to proceed to the face to face interview, I was given a rather ambiguous assignment to create an email to a client, a slide deck / presentation on the project describing security issues, and a meeting agenda for the client. I'm very glad I had read some of the other reviews on Glassdoor; however, I was still not prepared for what actually occurred.

Honestly, it was the WORST interview experience I ever had in my career. I met with 2 managers, M1 and M2 - who called in. The meeting began with barely any introductions and they proceeded to tear apart the "homework" in a very insulting and berating manner. M2 was very hostile and M1 was nice. It felt like a game of "good manager / bad manager". I understand the 'stress interview' format, however, it was only 30 minutes into the "interview" where they asked if I had any questions that I was informed that this was a preliminary run to review the materials prior to meeting with the team, who would be role playing the customer. Only then did the process make sense. Had I been informed that my materials would be all client facing, I would have drafted them very differently. M2 was angry he didn't understand a basic security issue - which surprised me since that was the assignment I was given.

M2 dropped off at one point and we thought that the call had been dropped; however, he just...vanished. Nothing was said at any point that he had a hard stop or that he had to leave. It surprised M1, who attempted to cover the rudeness. I continued to speak with M1, who was quite pleasant.

I left the interview feeling as if I was bleeding from every orifice and my gut was telling me to run, run, run. If this was typical example of behavior of the company, then no way did I want to work for SAS, although they do have great PR about working there. I sent the Thank You's and such to all parties and that's the last I have heard from SAS.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through Indeed and received an email for a telephone interview about a week later. The telephone interview was scheduled for an hour but took about 30 min. and consisted mainly of PM related questions, questions about my current position and concluded with an opportunity for me to ask questions. The in-person interview required each interviewee to perform a mock client meeting. This includes putting together a slide presentation and then presenting to an audience who played the role of client. Not much information was provided so it was a challenge to create a one slide presentation. The panel members were not that engaged and typed (supposedly taking notes) during the entire interview. The campus was beautiful and overall I'm glad I had the experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a project manager and a consultant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a couple weeks later about setting up a phone interview. The phone interview was about 30 mins and mainly consisted of PM related questions and some time for me to ask questions. I was then contacted the next day about setting up an in person interview which was held the following week. I was given a scenario to prepare for in which I had to host a mock client meeting. The first 30 mins of the interview was general PM related interview questions from about a dozen people. Then I did the client meeting portion which was realistic based on having been in client meetings extensively throughout my career. The final part was a chance for me to ask questions of all the people in the room. The following afternoon I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• In the mock presentation portion there was some discussion about who would pay for a contract change.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation allowed. It was a firm offer from the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in June 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was a screening and I was impressed with the questions asked - not the just the typical "describe your background and why you're suited for the job." They also asked why you wanted the job and why you wanted to work for SAS - and expected a detailed answer.
    The panel interview was difficult - several of the group were obviously unprepared and not experienced enough to ask intelligent questions much less describe their role in the group. Others asked incredibly astute questions and put me to the test on my knowledge. I felt a lot of synergy with the group and was disappointed not to receive the offer. A big con: There was no feedback - even when asked - and no follow-up even though it was promised.

Interview Questions

• Questions about areas of the job I had already admitted I had little experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC) in October 2010.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews, face to face with HR and hiring mgr. and also face to face with many project managers who would be your peers. In addition, at the time had to put together a mock kick-off presentation for a potential SAS client. The experience was quite challenging and the entire process took months from the initial phone interview to getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• SAS OnDemand required each interviewee to perform a mock client kickoff mtg. This includes putting together a slide presentation and then presenting to an audience of 5-10 individuals who played the role of client. It is quite a tough interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very limited. Able to negotiate only additional $2k.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Taipei (Taiwan)) in November 2013.

Interview

2 stages interview. 1st stage is recruiting manager interview. 2nd stage is VP interview. The result is fail in 1st stage interview because recruiting manager try to hire more implement BI project experience candidate.

Interview Questions

• Working background description. Behavioral questions asking. What's most impressing project you has been handled? Have you been implement BI project? How do you handle not cooperated team members who is key person?   Answer Question