SEC Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.5

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a long but easy process. I applied online and received a screening call a few weeks later. I then received a call a week later to schedule an interview. It was super simple, just 30 minutes with 2 interviewers. They just want to get to know you better, why you want to work there, and your interests.

SEC Summer Honor Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by various divisions. There was one phone interview and it was purely behavioral, they asked me about my experiences and what I like to do for fun. A week later I was informed I received the position.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was interviewed by four attorneys and the Chief of the Litigation section. The questions pertained to the laws and the quality of work expected from me. Each person posed a scenario to see how I would handle the situation. I answered each of the questions and then posed questions to them in return.

Interview Questions

• Do I know how to research cases and cite check using WestLaw?   1 Answer

Negotiation

This job was with the US SEC. You do not negotiate with the Federal government. I was interviewed in April 2004 on a Monday and transferred to the position the next week.

Student Honors Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC).

Interview

The whole process took just over six months. I applied online in January, got an email requesting a phone interview in July. The interview was very relaxed and the questions were fairly straightforward. Usually the interviews are conducted with two members of the office. I received a call a few days after the interview with an offer.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Terrible. Revolving door with multiple candidates waiting in the reception area prior to interview. Candidates are rotated through two panel interview teams, one made up of senior managers and the other of Staff Accountants. Each team was limited to asking each candidate the same six (6) questions developed by HR for each panel. These could and should have been done over the phone to screen-out candidates rather than making them all travel to DC on their own dime.

Interview Questions

• They were all basic questions drafted by HR and demonstrated that the person who wrote them knew nothing about the requirements of the position. Many were irrelevant, unrealistic hypothetical scenarios that you would be put in and asked how you would have responded. One of the panel members even apologized for how "stupid" the questions were and for the fact that HR would not let him deviate from the script or the format of the interview.

Q - As a financial reporting investigator how would you respond to an attorney you were assigned to work with who told you he didn't need your help and could handle the accounting issues on his own?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about 3 weeks later for an interview. The interview was two staff attorneys who asked various questions. If you are not from a finance background, you may want to brush up on a few concepts. Mostly it was just why intern for the Securities and Exchange Commission. What makes you drawn to our program? Some of the questions were incredibly challenging as they try to make you answer quickly and off the cuff.

Financial Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Sent an email to their recrutiting address with all of my information, they followed up with a phone interview and then a flyout to present my research. Eventually, after some foot dragging, they made an offer.

Student Honors Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

Short phone interview with two employees. Simple questions, nothing unexpected. They wanted to know about my interest in financial regulation and whether my experience would apply. Overall very straightforward.

Honors Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a short phone interview with two employees. Pretty general questions. It would be a good idea to include the SEC's three-part mission statement and tie in your relevant experience to that. Show that you have an interest in securities law and the markets, generally. They asked about why I wanted to be in the offices that I chose (once you receive an offer, you can change the offices), so have an explanation. Be personable. Smile. Phone interviews are tough but if you smile, you tend to sound happier and more excited. Both of the people I interviewed with were very nice. It became more of a conversation towards the end. At then end of the phone call, they offered me the internship and I accepted. AMAZING place to work! I love the people I work with and the work that I do. Too bad it was just an internship :)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This was an unpaid internship, so really no negotiation. It was the one I really wanted for SEC HQ in D.C. I got offered the job at the end of the phone interview and accepted on the spot.

SEC Student Honors Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was conducted over the phone with the lead internship coordinator in my division. It was brief - maybe thirty minutes at the most. The questions were challenging, yet fair. Past work experiences and an undergraduate degree in business/accounting/finance is looked upon favorably.

Interview Questions

• Discuss past work experience and any law school related coursework that would translate to assist you in your role as an SEC intern.   Answer Question