SEC Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 2, 2017

2.7

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was interviewed by four attorneys and the Chief of the Litigation section. The questions pertained to the laws and the quality of work expected from me. Each person posed a scenario to see how I would handle the situation. I answered each of the questions and then posed questions to them in return.

Interview Questions

• Do I know how to research cases and cite check using WestLaw?   1 Answer

Negotiation

This job was with the US SEC. You do not negotiate with the Federal government. I was interviewed in April 2004 on a Monday and transferred to the position the next week.

Student Honors Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC).

Interview

The whole process took just over six months. I applied online in January, got an email requesting a phone interview in July. The interview was very relaxed and the questions were fairly straightforward. Usually the interviews are conducted with two members of the office. I received a call a few days after the interview with an offer.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Terrible. Revolving door with multiple candidates waiting in the reception area prior to interview. Candidates are rotated through two panel interview teams, one made up of senior managers and the other of Staff Accountants. Each team was limited to asking each candidate the same six (6) questions developed by HR for each panel. These could and should have been done over the phone to screen-out candidates rather than making them all travel to DC on their own dime.

Interview Questions

• They were all basic questions drafted by HR and demonstrated that the person who wrote them knew nothing about the requirements of the position. Many were irrelevant, unrealistic hypothetical scenarios that you would be put in and asked how you would have responded. One of the panel members even apologized for how "stupid" the questions were and for the fact that HR would not let him deviate from the script or the format of the interview.

Q - As a financial reporting investigator how would you respond to an attorney you were assigned to work with who told you he didn't need your help and could handle the accounting issues on his own?
      1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about 3 weeks later for an interview. The interview was two staff attorneys who asked various questions. If you are not from a finance background, you may want to brush up on a few concepts. Mostly it was just why intern for the Securities and Exchange Commission. What makes you drawn to our program? Some of the questions were incredibly challenging as they try to make you answer quickly and off the cuff.

Financial Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Sent an email to their recrutiting address with all of my information, they followed up with a phone interview and then a flyout to present my research. Eventually, after some foot dragging, they made an offer.

Student Honors Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

Short phone interview with two employees. Simple questions, nothing unexpected. They wanted to know about my interest in financial regulation and whether my experience would apply. Overall very straightforward.

Honors Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a short phone interview with two employees. Pretty general questions. It would be a good idea to include the SEC's three-part mission statement and tie in your relevant experience to that. Show that you have an interest in securities law and the markets, generally. They asked about why I wanted to be in the offices that I chose (once you receive an offer, you can change the offices), so have an explanation. Be personable. Smile. Phone interviews are tough but if you smile, you tend to sound happier and more excited. Both of the people I interviewed with were very nice. It became more of a conversation towards the end. At then end of the phone call, they offered me the internship and I accepted. AMAZING place to work! I love the people I work with and the work that I do. Too bad it was just an internship :)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This was an unpaid internship, so really no negotiation. It was the one I really wanted for SEC HQ in D.C. I got offered the job at the end of the phone interview and accepted on the spot.

Senior Special Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

In person interview in the office. I was already working at the SEC in a different office, so I was flexible. Interviewed with 2 current staffers in the applied to office and the office chief. They were all 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why am I choosing to make a transition from my current position to the applied to position?   Answer Question

Division of Ecumenic and Risk Analysis Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Sent in application through website in December and was contacted for an interview in February. Only one interview round and was relatively basic. Overall a good experience as the representatives were very friendly and willing to answer any questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Asked classic interview questions such as Why SEC? Why Division of Economic and Risk Analysis? What are some things happening around the world right now? What is the FED doing?   Answer Question

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SEC (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

It was not a traditional face to face interview. Of course it is the federal government and I had applied for this job in November, 2012. I didn't get called until February, 2013. The hiring manager called me and said she recevied over a 1,000 applications and didn't have time to interview everyone. She said I had the skills she was seeking and asked for references. There were no questions about my background, why I wanted to work at the SEC or anything. Seeing that I had just went through 5 year periodic investigation at my previous employer; it was a breeze coming on board at the SEC.