SEI Investments Fund Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SEI Investments Fund Analyst Interview Questions

2.1

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SEI Investments (Oaks, PA) in November 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was contacted very quickly, probably 24-36 hours later. I was then scheduled for a phone interview with someone from HR and the interview took about 45 minutes. The HR person had no idea about finance investments and seemed to be reading from a script. They were very nice and said that they would be in contact in at least a week.

I was then contacted by another HR person to schedule a time to come interview at the office in Oaks, PA. I do not live in Pennsylvania and was kind of surprised that they did not offer to bring me in for the interview but rather expected me to get there myself. For such a large firm this was very surprising.

I arrived for my in-person interview and met with the fund manager of the strategy for about 1.5 hours. The manager was not as impressive as I expected given the AUM of the fund and didn't seem very comfortable in an interview situation, which is strange since the vast majority of the job is interviewing external fund managers. None of the questions were surprising or unexpected but getting a response from the interviewing manager was very difficult. I then spoke with the HR partner for the division and he asked me very similar questions, which again is strange coming from an HR person that doesn't have any investment responsibility. We then discussed the area, the office, etc. before ending the interview.

The most memorable thing from the entire process was that everyone, and I mean everyone, asked about salary. They wanted tax documents to ensure you weren't lying about your previous salary and demanded to know what your target salary was. This was very off-putting. I have no problem discussing my salary targets/demands but their insistence on tax records for my previous salary rubbed me the wrong way. They are a massive company and the strategy has multi-billion AUM, and yet it seemed like their only goal was to determine the lowest possible amount of salary they would have to offer. That's a big red flag to me as talent and experience should be paramount but that did not seem to be the case.

Interview Questions

• Describe why you like a particular fund manager.   Answer Question
    • How do you evaluate fund managers?   Answer Question
    • What is/was your previous salary and bonus (be exact) and what is the lowest amount you would accept?   Answer Question

Hedge Fund Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oaks, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at SEI Investments (Oaks, PA) in February 2013.

Interview

Interview Process was easy. Interview date and time is established by HR. Upon arriving you are greeted and the HR Manager provides a short tour. Interview was with direct supervisor and manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oaks, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SEI Investments (Oaks, PA) in November 2012.

Interview

I went through a local recruiter. SEI uses recruiters for most of their back office positions (mutual fund analyst, accounting analyst, trade settlement analyst...). My resume was then forwarded to their HR group. You'll have a standard phone interview with HR, and if they think you are a good fit they will invite you for an interview on site. I declined to further be considered with SEI after an initial phone interview.

I thought SEI lacks commitment and appreciation for their employees. First, their compensation is far below industry averages. For these positions they only hire on a temp or temp-to-hire basis even if you have similar past experiences. For temp positions, SEI pays $12 /hr, and for temp-to-hire, SEI pays $34k. Additionally, compensation is not negotiable. There are far more prestigious firms in the area that pay a lot more for the same roles (JP Morgan in Wilmington, Morgan Stanley in Baltimore and Goldman Sachs in Jersey City... not to forget NYC). I would recommend going elsewhere.

Additionally, from what I was told and what I've read through my research, there is high turnover and don't expect to be promoted within. Recruiters have told me candidates go there for 2-3 years to gain experience then move on elsewhere afterward. Furthermore, I found through research the investment side roles are filled using recruiters as well so don't expect promotion from within.

Overall, there are far more prestigious firms in the area that will pay more, offer better career development, and give you a stronger name for your resume. I highly recommend looking elsewhere.

Fund Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oaks, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SEI Investments (Oaks, PA) in March 2012.

Interview

1st Phone Interview with HR then they bring you in for interview with several supervisors/managers. It was 4 interview 20-25 minutes each. The interview itself is easy. They're trying to know whether you're the right fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, How will you handle deadline, etc   Answer Question

No matter how you cut it, $35k for a recent graduate is low. Instead of spending money to make your office looks attractive, offer a better compensation to attract and keep talent. Stop being a rolling door.

Anonymous Employee in Oaks, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SEI Investments (Oaks, PA) in March 2011.

Interview

I had two in office interviews. The first interview was with two supervisors of a team and the second interview was with one supervisor of the team. You never interview with a manager. The supervisors choose who gets hired for there team. Basic questions asked about work experience. Easy interview.

Interview Questions

• Couple questions asked on financial terms such as swaps and bonds.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oaks, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SEI Investments (Oaks, PA) in July 2010.

Interview

It was a joke all said and done, they hire mainly from temps with very few direct hires. My First interview to become a temp had me being interviewed by a several people at the same time for multiple roles. At the end it was mainly choice which one I choose. Most of the questions were basic easy answer questions.

My interview to go full time was purely a formality with almost no questions of relevance.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 15 years.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, they gave me less then a day to accept.

Hedge Fund Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SEI Investments in December 2011.

Interview

Basic Behavioral Based interview. Most questions involved running through your resume.