SF State University Assistant Professor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1.0

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I currently possess a full-time faculty position at another school. I applied for a full-time faculty position within a particular college at SFSU. Three references were requested and included with the application. Two weeks after a Skype interview with the search committee, I was invited for an on-campus interview and to teach a sample lesson. The interview seemed to go well (indeed, several students stood and applauded at the end of my sample lecture) and I was told that I would likely be informed of the committee's decision in a couple of weeks, right by the end of the month.

The end of the month came and went with no word. Then at the beginning of the following month, I received a surprise email from a member of the search committee. Apparently, the college's dean requested a reference from my current department chair, who I had not yet informed (as can be common practice in higher education) regarding my search for other employment opportunities. I was surprised at this request, as I had already furnished the committee with the requested three references in my original application (and the original application requirements did not specify that one of the three references had to be from a current supervisor). Further, when I reached out to my academic references for advice, they both concurred that this was a very strange, borderline disrespectful request.

To the SFSU search committee's credit, they did acknowledge the sensitivity of the matter yet insisted that the reference from my current chair was necessary. I was confused, as I had imagined that my application materials and on-campus interview had been sufficient. Indeed, over the years I have been invited to on-campus interviews for close to a dozen other academic positions (when I was making the transition from adjunct to full-time) and had never once been asked for such a thing. I hoped that this meant that I was a finalist for the position, and despite the sensitivity of the situation, I contacted my current department chair who was gracious and understanding enough to write the reference and send it to SFSU.

At the end of that month and into the beginning of the following month (so now we're going on two months since the on-campus interview), I had received no word of any further progress or decisions from the SFSU search committee. I wrote them to inquire and to let them know that in the middle of the month, I had a deadline to sign a contract for another year at my current institution. I was then told that the decision was up to the dean.

The week of my contract deadline at my current institution arrived (this was now over two months since the on-campus interview) and still no word. I sent a polite email to the search committee mere days before my contract deadline requesting advice or information on how to move forward given the tricky timing.

I subsequently received an email from the search committee to inform me that the position had been filled - all I had to show from the entire opaque, mismanaged, disrespectful process. In the years that I sought full-time faculty employment, each search committee behind every interview I had was communicative, respectful, and apparently well-run. SFSU's hiring process was frustratingly cryptic, unforthcoming, and disorganized. I recommend against applying for a faculty position at this institution.

Interview Questions

• Would you furnish the search committee with an additional reference, one from your current department chair?   Answer Question