SF State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SF State University

2.3

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I currently possess a full-time faculty position at another school. I applied for a full-time faculty position within a particular college at SFSU. Three references were requested and included with the application. Two weeks after a Skype interview with the search committee, I was invited for an on-campus interview and to teach a sample lesson. The interview seemed to go well (indeed, several students stood and applauded at the end of my sample lecture) and I was told that I would likely be informed of the committee's decision in a couple of weeks, right by the end of the month.

The end of the month came and went with no word. Then at the beginning of the following month, I received a surprise email from a member of the search committee. Apparently, the college's dean requested a reference from my current department chair, who I had not yet informed (as can be common practice in higher education) regarding my search for other employment opportunities. I was surprised at this request, as I had already furnished the committee with the requested three references in my original application (and the original application requirements did not specify that one of the three references had to be from a current supervisor). Further, when I reached out to my academic references for advice, they both concurred that this was a very strange, borderline disrespectful request.

To the SFSU search committee's credit, they did acknowledge the sensitivity of the matter yet insisted that the reference from my current chair was necessary. I was confused, as I had imagined that my application materials and on-campus interview had been sufficient. Indeed, over the years I have been invited to on-campus interviews for close to a dozen other academic positions (when I was making the transition from adjunct to full-time) and had never once been asked for such a thing. I hoped that this meant that I was a finalist for the position, and despite the sensitivity of the situation, I contacted my current department chair who was gracious and understanding enough to write the reference and send it to SFSU.

At the end of that month and into the beginning of the following month (so now we're going on two months since the on-campus interview), I had received no word of any further progress or decisions from the SFSU search committee. I wrote them to inquire and to let them know that in the middle of the month, I had a deadline to sign a contract for another year at my current institution. I was then told that the decision was up to the dean.

The week of my contract deadline at my current institution arrived (this was now over two months since the on-campus interview) and still no word. I sent a polite email to the search committee mere days before my contract deadline requesting advice or information on how to move forward given the tricky timing.

I subsequently received an email from the search committee to inform me that the position had been filled - all I had to show from the entire opaque, mismanaged, disrespectful process. In the years that I sought full-time faculty employment, each search committee behind every interview I had was communicative, respectful, and apparently well-run. SFSU's hiring process was frustratingly cryptic, unforthcoming, and disorganized. I recommend against applying for a faculty position at this institution.

Interview Questions

• Would you furnish the search committee with an additional reference, one from your current department chair?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Went to Circulation desk and met hiring supervisor. We went to her office and she asked some questions and went over a little bit o scheduling that I had submitted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit in the library   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pretty simple and starightforward. I sent in my resume and got an email asking me to fill out a form. Then comes the interview round wherein they ask you questions based on your resume. Prepare for it such that it shows off some skill that you can use at the job as the student assistant. It is a plus if you are referred by someone working there as a student assistant too.

Interview Questions

• Standard tell me a little bit about yourself.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied to the position when a friend referred me to the position. I had a phone screening lasting around 30 minutes and an in-person interview lasting around an hour.

Interview Questions

• They asked basic interview questions such as:
      "Tell me about your self", "How do you manage your time?", etc. as well as situational questions regarding communication with customers: "How well do you communicate with others?", "How do you deal with a disgruntled customer?", etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Easy & straightforward. Just met with the manager 1:1. Asked me a couple of regular questions about my background, skills, etc. Then met with the Chair of the department - same idea. Nothing crazy. Doesn't need any special prep or guidance.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview was technical, required me to write code on the black board. not too formal, there was a panel involved. Its one of the good State institutions to apply to.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Chill and laid back. Very straight forward. Definitely need to be enthusiastic and open minded. You will need to answer scenario questions. Better chance if you were affiliated with at least the director of the program you're applying for. 15mins-30mins tops since all interviewees are after another doing their interview.

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

Easy process, direct interview with your prospect managers. First by phone, then only one round of interview in person. As long as, you get to know the office and job description. If you like the work and who the passion to work there, then you should be fine

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied through the school's job website. They emailed me after I sent in my application and when the interview time came, they asked me the standard questions and hired me. This was during the summer, and I was able to make contacts in another department to get a job through the winter and spring and through the years.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SF State University (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Apply through Gator Jobs and interview with a department lead. If they like you, you will be contacted in about a week or so for an interview. Once you are hired (must be eligible for work study) you will go through some paper work for HR. If you get a job as a student assistant, you will only be paid once a month.