SM Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SM Energy (Midland, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, then they flew me out to the office. Had multiple interviews with individuals and groups of people, including engineers and superintendents. Had a one on one interview with the VP. Interviews were comfortable, we spoke about my experience, and they asked some questions based on technical challenges they were having. Positive experience over all.

Administration Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SM Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied online. Received call from HR in the same week. Phone interview with HR on job description, general job responsibilities, and company history. HR scheduled the office interview. I interviewed with two managers one-on-one. The complete interview process took about two hours. Managers were open to questions and answered them willingly.

Interview Questions

• What is your idea of a good leader? How do you feel about conflict? Tell me about your prior experience.   Answer Question

Senior SQL Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SM Energy (Denver, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

What a weird experience! I interviewed for a SQL DBA position with a manager (whom I actually liked), a BI person, and an "entry level" DBA whom I was told "...has multiple roles here". All of the questions from the entry level were so uncomfortable I had to ask 3 times for him to repeat the question and/or look directly at the Manager to basically repeat clearly what this person was trying to ask. This person made absolutely no eye contact whatsoever and stared at the table or my resume the entire time. A question that should take 10 seconds to ask took him upwards of a solid minute or more. He went off into left field so badly it made my stomach hurt. IT WAS WEIRD! In addition, the BI person played with her phone half way through the interview,....RUDE!

These questions were the equivalent of asking me if I would know how to make a sandwich if I were starving. VERY INSULTING!!! The last question he stood up and starting raising his voice at me while staring at the floor. I had to calm him down by sticking out my hand, shaking his and slowly stating "You are ok, alright? You are OK!". Waste of time for a highly technical talented professional.

Interview Questions

• 1) Are you willing to sit in a meeting to help find out why code is running fast?
      2) If a VM went down, are you willing to help solve it with sysadmins?
      3) Are you willing to work with Microsoft products not related to SQL Server?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Interview

Had a phone interview for 30 minutes. The interviewer seemed impressed and said she would call back in the next day or two. Never called me back. Never said anything. I hear this is a terrible place to work - so I wasn't taking the interview particularly serious.

Interview Questions

• None were difficult. The interviewer just talked endlessly about how fast they were growing - I wanted to laugh because oil is less than $50 a barrel now.   Answer Question

Deskside Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at SM Energy (Denver, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was awesome. It was very relaxed and fun actually. They take into account your personality as well as tech skills. They have the "you cant teach personal skills, but you can teach tech skills" outlook. Also, don't beef up that resume unless you can back it up. It's better to be honest.

Interview Questions

• Active Directory questions, VoIP questions, Dell hardware questions and mild networking questions. They use Cherwell ticketing systems as well as Citrix XenApps. So get familiar with these things to help you out and give you an edge. also, don't be a d-bag! Just be yourself and be honest.   1 Answer

Regional Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SM Energy (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. There was a phone screen with the contract agency first then the manager in coroparte office in Denver. After that it was a in person interview with the office manager and hiring manager over skype. The process has since changed now that the VP of IT is in the Houston office he conducts the in person interview for the Houston office himself.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with stress?   1 Answer

Lease Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SM Energy (Denver, CO) in May 2012.

Interview

Good knowledable HR department, but they tend to over screen poeple who are qualified for certain jobs. The interview process was laid back and a portion of it was a group interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Short and not a lot of give and take