SMART Technologies Technical Support Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SMART Technologies Technical Support Specialist Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SMART Technologies (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online to their website where they have an complete system set up where you answer questions about yourself, experience, education, etc and they have a rating system that attempts to match you with available jobs.

After applying, a week or two later I recieved an e-mail to complete and "online" interview which consisted of me answering 5 questions online. 3 of the questions were video (webcam) response that also gave me the option of text response if I didn't have access to a webcam. Questions were pretty basic, directed at my experience in the position I was applying for and my salary expectations.

About 1 week after that, I was contacted by the "People Services" department for a phone interview. Again some more basic questions were asked about experience and education. I was then asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview with the department manager and team lead.

This interview was again basic interview questions and scenario based questions based around customer service skills and basic technical knowledge. I was again asked about salary expectations and given a short 10 question skills test. 5 questions on my computer knowledge and 5 on customer support.

After this interview I was asked to come in for a "Team Fit" interview where I met up with two current employees and they asked me some questions about my personal life. Hobbies, interests, free time, etc.
Immediately after I was offered a position by the Manager and Team lead. We discussed benefit package and salary expectations.

An offer package was couriered out to me 3 days later and the next week I was working.

Interview Questions

• Technical quiz was probably the hardest part.
    Questions asked for example were "Maximum length of a USB Cable" or "What is the amperage of a standard USB hub". Questions about where to find user settings in a MAC.
    1 Answer

Negotiation

Although there was an illusion of negotiation, there really isn't much room for it. They don't give you many specifics of their beneift package or any of their bonus plans during the negotiation process. The benefits (health, dental, etc) is lackluster and there is no room for negotiation for entry level positions. Only Management get parking stalls. You have to do a LOT of research about salary in your field. I came in with an offer for average to slightly low, and they came in pretty close to it (just under). After more investigation, I found most employees here are the industry average. Shoot high, if they want you, they'll come in lower, but you might get better than average.

Negotiate your breaks and lunch hour. They only give 30 mins for lunch if you don't negotiate it.