SMITH Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SMITH (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online and in about a week I was set up with a phone screen. It went well. Very basic screening questions, just asking about my previous experience and accomplishments.

I was then set up with a 1:1 in-person interview with my potential supervisor. This lasted 1 hour. The potential supervisor asked questions about previous experience with tools, campaigns, collaboration and working with others, etc. The usual stuff. Nothing really stood out to me. I was impressed by the amount of their technical knowledge for their particular role. He was friendly and professional.

A week later I was then set up with a phone call with another manager who couldn't make it into the office. This also lasted about 1 hour. Again, the usual questions but with some more specific tool-based questions. The individual was friendly and professional as well and seemed very impressed by the level of my expertise.

I was then again invited back to the office for yet another interview with my potential supervisor and 2 others. My second interview with my potential supervisor lasted a little bit less than 1 hour and was more or less a repeat of our previous discussion as well as more of discussion about who else I would be meeting with and the company. I later interviewed for about 30 minutes with a potential senior coworker and another potential peer. Both of these went well and again the usual questions about experience and previous campaigns, examples, and results were asked. Both of them were also friendly and professional.

To my surprise, after these two in-person interview sessions so far, I was then invited to present a 30-minute presentation to my potential supervisor and peers and more senior-level staff. As nice and professional as everyone had been so far, I was extremely irked about this presentation as it was (1) a time sink in preparation, (2) about one of their current clients and thus I would be providing them with my own professional insights they could potentially benefit from--for free--and (3) I felt that the interview process had been drawn out long enough at this point.

I heard back about a week later they moved forward with another candidate. The recruiter left a polite and professional voice mail notifying me of this.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a difficult situation you've encountered with a client and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SMITH (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Confirmation of the interview date and time came at 8:30 p.m. the night before the interview.

In short, this was the strangest 1-hour interview of my life. The questions were all intended to plumb how I think with zero questions about experience, skills, and other background. Apparently, all that was of interest was how I thought in the moment. Nearly all questions were thinly sketched out descriptions of an actual job SMITH was working on and, with very little info, how I'd contribute to that job in the role I was applying for.

After the interview, SMITH stopped communicating with me. I never received a response to status requests and certainly never received the professional courtesy of a "thanks but we're pursuing other candidates" email.

Interview Questions

• We're tasked with creating a unified experience for querying dozens of disparate databases. What are the content opportunities?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SMITH (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

I had two initial phone interviews: one with the recruiter and one with the hiring manager. I was then invited in for an in-person, round-robin interview with four folks. I am currently employed and had a prior commitment to their suggested time, but they seemed very accommodating, so an agreed-upon time was found. A couple of hours before the interview one person dropped out so the time pushed back a half hour. OK, that's understandable. When the interview time arrived I sat down with the first person and they seemed a little confused that they were the first. A little lack of communication; I guess I can accept that. Then the second interviewer arrived: not one of the people originally scheduled. He did not seem like he wanted to be there. He kept checking email and looking out the window instead of engaging. OK, now I'm sensing a trend here. Then came time for the third and final interview. They were unavailable and I was practically shoved on the elevator. Was it something I said? Something I didn't say? I don't know and I kind of don't care. I feel like I dodged a bullet. Some of the things I heard in asking the interviewers questions lead me to believe that the reviews I read about upper management and their lack of vision were all too true.

Interview Questions

• No special or out-of-the-ordinary questions to relate. Just be prepared to backup your resume with examples.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer (Contract) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SMITH (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

This was for project-based work, not a full-time position. First was a screening call with their recruiter, then a couple of 1:1 interviews with team members, and 2 phone interviews with directors. The environment is quiet and focused. Most communication happens via email instead of phone, so occasionally some team members may be out of the loop if you don't "reply all."

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you resolved a conflict when a client didn't agree with your recommendations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They agreed to my standard hourly rate, so no negotiation was needed.

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SMITH (Seattle, WA) in July 2014.

Interview

I interviewed for a Sr. Web Dev position at Smith in 2014, and went into the experience knowing full well how poorly reviewed they were but thinking they might all be the exceptions. Nope.

Standard phoner with recruiter, followed by phoner with hiring manager (both of which went well), followed by invitation for an in-person with the team I'd be on. Recruiter offered great pro tips like, "Be sure to wash your hands with cold water beforehand so when you shake their hands yours aren't clammy and sweaty." The in-person went well, nothing too difficult, just the usual agency short on staff and struggling to keep up with work. That and they seemed to be really unhappy with those who worked in the Montreal office who were always taking vacation.

Recruiter followed up two days later asking if I was available to do a phoner with one of their product managers. Sure. The next day, leading up to the phoner with the PM, the recruiter calls asking if I'm still interested, how quick I can give notice and start, etc. I tell her I can't do anything without being able to evaluate a firm job offer. She pressed and I firmly state that I'm not giving notice at my current company without a formal job offer whose terms I've agreed to. I give her the salary range I'm looking for and my start availability and leave things there.

Next day I sit and wait for 45min after the scheduled call from the PM but my phone never rings. I email the recruiter asking what happened. Hours later I hear back that the PM was told I would be coming into the office, which was a mistake and something never brought up in scheduling this. We finally connect a day or two later and the PM wants to know why I wanted to speak with her. "I was told you wanted to speak with me. I'm assuming to help me make up my mind about Smith." She gives a pretty boilerplate talk about how great the company is, how the negative feedback about the company should be ignored, and how bright the future is looking. It feels like a huge waste of time.

Formal offer comes. The job title is listed as Web Dev (no Senior in the title), the start date is a date I can't commit to (which they knew ahead of time), and the salary is for less than what I currently make and the range I gave them. I phone the recruiter with "I have a few questions..." mistakenly thinking that, again, this is just another set of mistakes that can be rectified.

She says they had another candidate besides me they were also interested in and so had to create a new position last minute but could only offer one of us the "Senior" title. "Yes, but I applied for and interviewed for a Sr. Web Dev position and am not interested in a junior role." The recruiter replies with, "The hiring manager told me that you'd understand." Really?! When asked about the low ball salary, the recruiter didn't seem to think I'd mind making less in salary and benefits. I ask her why I'd want to leave a company where I make more in base salary to work for a digital agency who is offering me substantially less pay overall with substantively fewer benefits, no or small bonuses, no options, etc.?

She responds: "So, is it just about the job title then?" And thus begins a surreal phone argument where her answer to everything is, "Is it just about the job title then? If I got the job title changed can you start on Date X?"

After going around and around like a broken record, I give up and tell her how frustrating and unprofessional both she and the whole process has been, and that the whole thing feels to be a pretty obvious bait and switch w/r/t job title, salary, etc.

She then starts yelling (actually yelling), "I don't have time to track down people and arrange schedules..."

I hang up before she could finish the sentence. Thanks but no thanks. She calls back and I don't answer. That evening I sent the hiring manager an email politely explaining what had happened, that I wouldn't be moving forward with the job as it didn't represent what I had applied and interviewed for, along with the unprofessional and dubious behavior of the recruiter. Not surprisingly, I never hear back. I did discover that, three months after what would've been my start date at Smith, the hiring manager left to go to another firm, which also doesn't surprise me.

So very happy I didn't make the mistake of thinking everything that happened to me was random happenstance. There appears to be a very deeply entrenched dysfunctionality at this place, and any potential candidates would do well to heed the poor reviews here.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMITH (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

One month after I submitted my resume via their web site, a recruiter contacted me to schedule a phone interview then did not call and was not reachable at the time of the interview, and never returned my call. Classy!

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SMITH (San Francisco, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

It was a quick process and I was able to interview over the phone, offer all references and continue the conversation based on prior work history.

Interview Questions

• Why did the job have interest to me if It wasn't my industry?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SMITH in June 2012.

Interview

Two initial phone interviews, then invited for an in-person review. Recruiter goave good advice. Behavioral questions and background information. Stopped commmunicating with me after the interview and never received an email afterwards.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SMITH (Bellevue, WA) in June 2011.

Interview

You sit in a room and every senior person (or whomever they can find free) comes in and "interviews" you. Half the people were happy saying change is in the air, it is great and the other half were "here we go again".

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty basic and what you would expect from any company.

Technology Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SMITH (Bellevue, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was really engaguing. I liked the flow and felt they were really tying to get to know me as well as giving me insight to knowning them as a group / company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The recruiter did a great job of doing this up front so it did not waste anyones time when the offer was made. I really liked this process!