SMOE Interview Questions in Seoul | Glassdoor

2.0

3 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SMOE (Seoul (South Korea)) in August 2012.

Interview

It's first come first serve and if you have the reqs, and you beat the crowd, you're in. Else, having experience is always a plus. What reqs you have and experience will determine your initial pay. I believe it starts off at $1800/month, and it tops off at $3200. But, it's just a phone screen where they make sure you're not a jerk.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach in Korea?   1 Answer

Native Speaking English Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at SMOE (Seoul (South Korea)) in May 2010.

Interview

Requires a phone interview, background check, physical and a TESOL/CELTA certificate for above base pay. The turn around between interview and contract was about 2 months.

It would definitely be easier going through a recruiter/head hunter, but those experiences vary by company. For instance, my recruiter was very good, but the SMOE interviewer was not, there was essentially limited/no communication from their end.

Interview Questions

• None, they don't ask you particularly relevant questions (probably due to the interviewer).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SMOE (Seoul (South Korea)) in May 2009.

Interview

When I first applied, I had to apply through an agency that's working together with SMOE to hire for their fall intake. SMOE has two hiring seasons: April for the August intake, and October for the February intake. When I applied through the agency (based in South Korea), they sent me a list of documents that I must send them via e-mail (Cover letter, Resume, Photo, 3 reference letters). After that, one of their agents contacted me by phone and interviewed me briefly. She mainly asked me why I am interested to teach in Korea and what time is convenient for me to receive an interview call from SMOE. After that she sent me another e-mail with the SMOE application form with instructions that I e-mail them the completed SMOE application form, personal essay, and a copy of a lesson plan. Next she arranged my interview with SMOE. Jon was the one who called me and he was very professional with the questions. I think I was asked about 5 questions? Questions ranged from why am I interested to teach in Korea; what do I know about Korean culture; what will I do if I encounter a class with varying degrees of English level, etc. It was my first phone interview so I was pretty nervous especially when I don't get to see the interviewer's face.

But within 2 weeks, I found out from the agent that I was hired!

Interview Questions

• Most difficult questions would be:

What will you do if your class has students with different English levels? How will you teach such a class?

What will you do if your student sleeps/ fight in class? How would you deal with this situation?   Answer Question