Sacramento Municipal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

3.4

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sacramento Municipal (Sacramento, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

1st contact to me was an email from HR asking for supplemental questions to be answered. These were due within one week. I submitted well crafted, thorough answers as well as work samples showing both strategic and tactical planning documentation. I went into great detail outlining my approach to the work function. After I submitted my answers and work product examples, waited one month and an HR rep called and let me know I was selected to come in for a qualifications interview. This is where things turned sour. When I arrived 15 minutes early, the security guard in the lobby was on a personal call and did not put it on hold to help me. He had the call on speakerphone and I could hear everything. He was making some sort of vacation reservation. I waited about 5 minutes, standing in front of him, and he made no attempt to help me, or say anything, so I excused myself to the lobby restroom. Came back out, and he was still on the call! I waited a few more minutes before he helped me, gave me a visitor badge, and starting calling the interviewers. By the time he called the hiring manager, it was one or two minutes past my interview time, making me look late. The interview was a panel interview - hiring director, plus 2 other managers. Expected to walk into a conference room, instead was brought into the director's office, the four of us cramped together sitting around a very small table. Right from the start this made me feel as if they are just going through the motions, and perhaps there is an internal promotion candidate for this position. I thought to myself - I hope I'm not wasting my time here. After all was said and done, I do feel they were just going through the motions, and had intentions of hiring someone from within the company. I was asked a total of 5 questions which were all behavioral - no questions on what did I know about SMUD, why I would want to work there, how could I add value to the department, also no questions about the core functions of the job and how I would tackle them. Even though it was called a qualifications interview, my qualifications for the role were not even discussed, and there were no questions directly related to the job function other than how I would treat problem employees and some other management scenarios. The questions related to about 10% of the job to which I was applying. The supplemental questions which I had previously answered were directly related to the job function, yet the in-person qualifications interview questions were not, and I had to provide specific examples for each question. Without prior knowledge of these specific questions, it would be difficult for anyone to on-the-fly come up with specific examples dug up from your past that you could dazzle the interviewers with. It's as if they wanted to stump you, honestly, I felt like I was being set up to fail this interview. Every question was a "explain a time when..." regarding a specific situation with your subordinates. It made me realize they were only looking for "manager", not a leader, and needed the focus to be on how are you going to handle poor performers. I can only assume this is because they have a problem with low work performance. For this to be so strongly emphasized in the interview was a red flag!
    My first impressions of the interviewers: hiring director - huge ego, very hierarchical style, highly political; 1st manager - know-it-all, squinted her eyes at me as soon as I sat down and literally glared at me the entire interview - I don't know what her intent was, but I can only assume it was that she hoped I'd fail the interview (maybe she has a friend vying for the same position?) and it was clear just by her facial expression that she disliked me, even though I've never met this person; 2nd manager - quiet, didn't talk much, looked like she was heavily medicated, lacked energy to the point of looking like she was barely awake. Interview lasted about an hour, then I was escorted out. I almost withdrew after the qualifications interview it was such a bad experience, worst interview experience I've ever had! The good news is that I am employed in a great position now, I was only exploring new opportunities since my current employer looks to be downsizing. I will look elsewhere, and will never apply to this company again. Word on the street is that this place is no better than working for the State. Once employees pass their probationary period, they are a permanent fixture, don't have to produce, and have to do something extraordinarily egregious to be fired. Also hear that the majority of the workforce only puts in the minimum effort, that it's full of slackers. I'm too much of a go-getter, they could see that and are deathly afraid of me coming in and shaking up their comfortable existence. SMUD is known as the place where people go to die. No thank you!

Interview Questions

• STAR interview method: give an example of how you handled an employee who was performing poorly, describe the situation, how you handled it and the outcome.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sacramento Municipal (Sacramento, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

This is my second chance at interviewing to be an intern at SMUD and I did not know what I was up against. The interview questions are very typical for engineering with technical ones and behaviorals. I have to admit the behaviorals I was not expecting (for a "qualifications exam") and shot myself in the foot over talking about some of my worst failures, given bad circumstances. Rather have a situational ones to demonstrate problem solving :P
    The technical questions were mostly open ended and I was mad at myself post interview because I could have said more very important things and more accurately. I rather solve difficult problems all interview because I after realized there was a lot of competition. I came in what I thought to be prepared knowing the job description and how I would be a great fit to that role but was unable to express the positive sides of myself with behavioral questions that focused on the negative and nothing open ended enough to get in what I prepared. Of course that said, there's no space to add anything outside of the set of specific interview questions. I've worked hard and came a long way since high school and through grad school and still I have to persist to get into the company I had my eyes on since the beginning.

Associate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sacramento Municipal (Sacramento, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

STAR interview questions. Panel with supervisor, human resources, and staff member. Questions were based on the STAR system and may get you off guard if not prepared. Learn about the company and history.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sacramento Municipal in January 2016.

Interview

Hiring process was extensive and your application remains active for 2 years. I had waited over a year prior to being selected for an examination testing that consisted of multiple choice questions filled into a bubbled answer sheet. It had a high emphasize on math problems. Bring a calculator and do not leave any blanks answers. If you have passed the testing, you'll receive an email for another examination process. This process is reading a sheet of paper with all the answers on it, while being on a 'live' call with a customer. The last process is a behavioral interview. The questions highlight on citing examples of how you dealt with working with a difficult person and how did you handle it?

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you had to work with someone who wasn't pulling their weight?   Answer Question

Office Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Sacramento Municipal.

Interview

The interviewers did not want my resume. It was strictly a behavioral analysis interview, therefore, the result if the interview did not take into consideration experience or qualifications. Be prepared for a panel of people, and to go through a packet of questions answering one after another for them for thirty minutes.

Interview Questions

• If you had 3 tasks, and only time to complete 2, which tasks would you choose?
      1. Doing something for your supervisor
      2. booking flights
      3. collecting timecards   1 Answer

Community Engagament Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sacramento Municipal (Sacramento, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Submitted online and within a week or so I received an email with a time to come into SMUD. Three people interviewed me- the immediate supervisor and the person above along with the administrative coordinator. They all took turns asking questions. It was a situational interview and a bit tricky with the way it was worded.

Interview Questions

• If I'd ever worked with employee giving campaign.

How I dealth with a difficult employee that I had to supervise.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sacramento Municipal (Sacramento, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

There is an unnecessarily long selection process that takes place when they are hiring Customer Service Representatives. After taking a written test, being interviewed on the phone and going to their offices to be personally met, I have to say it was a decent experience in terms of the way they organized. Unfortunately I got a very bad impression from them since the person in charge of the appointment messed up the time we were supposed to meet at, which ended up with me being late to my interview. No apologies, instead she refused to accept what happened. I recommend you are very careful, confirm the time of your interview if you get to that point and make sure you have an email that proves you did.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer
    • If we contacted your previous employer, what would they tell us about you in regards to your punctuality and productivity?   Answer Question

Energy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sacramento Municipal (Sacramento, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied for position on company website. I was contacted by an HR representative via email inviting me to an in person interview the next week. Interview was standard structured questions from a panel of three including the hiring supervisor the hr rep. And another member of the business unit. The questions related to job experience and situational behavior. Culture struck me as one in which people are proud and happy to work there and believe applicants should feel the same way.

Interview Questions

• If you had to say what your last supervisor would say was an area where you have opportunity for improvement what would it be?   1 Answer

The jobs advertised salary range was acceptable if the offer would have been made taking into account my being extremely if not overqualified status it would have likely been an accepted offer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

Civil service requires you to take a screening test which is fairly rigorous. If you pass you will be put on a list of qualified candidates for future openings. Then if there is an opening you will be called for a panel interview using the behavioral interviewing technique. You will also have to pass a background check, drug screen, and pre-employment physical.

Interview Questions

I was not pleased with the quality of the interview. It was disorganized and a bit unprofessional. Nothing rude or inappropriate; they just didn't seem to have their ducks in a row. They canceled and rescheduled me, then when I arrived 2 out of the 3 interviewers were late (20+ minutes). Before the late ones arrived the one interviewer asked me if I could possibly reschedule (again!) I said NO, and then the interview eventually took place. I had another offer in hand and I accepted it rather than work for SMUD.