Safeway Deli Clerk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 5, 2018

1.8

59 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Safeway (San Ramon, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was easy. I wanted to work at my local Safeway, applied online, and within a few days I got an email from someone in hiring. I called, and she called back within an hour or two.

Interview Questions

• I was asked for an example of how I worked well in a team.   1 Answer
  • They asked for an example of where I'd provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Safeway

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lacey, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (Lacey, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I interview at safeway they lady was nice and aaked me the beaic questions she said she would call me on tuesday which was a week from them to let me know i didnt hear from her until the following tuesday to ask me if i was still looking for a job and i said yes iam suppost to go in and do paperwork on tuesday does anyone know what paperwork it is? And do they do background checks before they call you and tell you to come in for papers?

Interview Questions

• If someone was buying a cake name 3 items you would suggest   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR).

Interview

Very informal with outdated questions. Felt the interviewer was done for the day, but she had been going through several people before me. Didn't have a good feel that she listened to my qualifications. Of course this was a large hiring and I think they were just looking for warm bodies to get through store opening.

Interview Questions

• If someone bought a cake, what would I recommend them to buy with it   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2012.

Interview

I put in a paper application and submit it to the manager. I kept calling to see if there was an opening and to show my comittment. My interview was performed by a hiring manager. She asked me questions like how would you describe your favorite food. They are big on customer service and descriptive selling. She explained what was important to them and was interested in what my needs were as far as a flexible schedule. Note...if you need hours your availability needs to be open,they will work with you but it might be at the expense of your total hours for the week.

Interview Questions

• Please describe in detail your favorite food.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Arlington, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I was asked a few questions about my ability to perform in the Deli. After which they did a Drug testing, Background check, and review my residency to the United State as I am from another country. I was also require to have a physical done.

Interview Questions

• What was my range of availability?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bristow, VA

Interview

The interviewer ask some basic and easy questions.He write down what I told some basic information it took 30 to 40 mins including work done on computer,He told right away I'm hiring you.

Anonymous Employee in North Bend, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Safeway (North Bend, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

They put me in produce... And I hated it but now I'm checking and work over at the Safe ways gas station. Sometimes I don't like to be moved around, just want to be put on one stop

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Safeway (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied through the website. I got a call back a few days later to set up an interview. It was a very brief interview, very basic. I had to start some paperwork, submit to a drug test, and specify availability. I was told that I was hired and had to come back a couple days later to finalize paperwork. Within a couple days I was in the Safeway I was to work at to meet my manager and immediately begin training/work. From the day I submitted my app online to when I stepped in for training/work it took about 10 days.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Safeway (Newark, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

Quick questions along with a drug test right there (cotton swab). Very easy to pass. Questions were mostly about prior experience and what you would expect on the job. pay rates and union also discussed. My interviewer kept staring at my chest,,,which is odd because I am a man but I did have a sweet pump and also some chest hair. maybe that gave me some points.

Interview Questions

• Did your last manager like you?   1 Answer

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Safeway in August 2017.

Interview

I was called in for a same day interview. The questions I was asked were about my retail and up selling experience and my personal hobbies and home life. And the usual availabilities questions. I enjoyed the interviewer. She was,a very pleasant person.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been in the customer service industry?   1 Answer