Safeway Interview Questions in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Safeway Interview Questions in Portland, OR

2.0

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR).

Interview

Very informal with outdated questions. Felt the interviewer was done for the day, but she had been going through several people before me. Didn't have a good feel that she listened to my qualifications. Of course this was a large hiring and I think they were just looking for warm bodies to get through store opening.

Interview Questions

• If someone bought a cake, what would I recommend them to buy with it   1 Answer

Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pleasant and standard. It is important to first fill out the online application, as it is required in order to move forward. Safeway does have grooming and uniform guidelines that the hiring manager will go over with you in the prescreen phone interview, they also drug screen and background check. The interview style is one-on-one and very low pressure. It a great experience for someone who doesn't have very much experience interviewing or has anxiety.

Interview Questions

• The first question was, "Why do you want to work for Safeway?"   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was pretty standard. Had general questions like what are your goals. My interviewer also read the intend of the questions off the page so the interview seemed more natural. They suggested I apply to cashier because the pay had a higher cap so it had the most future potential. It's better to turn this down so that you don't receive checker training, that way you can do the job you want and not get pulled away to check when they have lines.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to sell my favorite food item to them by describing why it was good.   1 Answer

Retail Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Vancouver, WA).

Interview

I was asked a series of questions about why I wanted to work for Safeway, and if I have any retail experience. I told them about my previous experience with the grocery buisness.

Interview Questions

• What experience do I have with the position I am applying for.   1 Answer

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Vancouver, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

So the interview process is fairly quick, it's been a while but i am pretty sure they asked me about starting four days later right after the interview. It's very much like any interview process you get a call, you come in, and answer questions about how well you are with customers, and your problem-solving skills.

Interview Questions

• Q: A Customer is planning on throwing a party or social event, what three items would you recommend they purchase from our store.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (Milwaukie, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

Sit down and talk with the hiring manager, they give you the drug test which is a sponge on a stick you put under your tongue for a while and then they ask you a bunch of questions. They ask you why you want to work for them, ask you your past experiences and your skills and what not. I got hired right on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What made you apply for this position?   1 Answer

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia City, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Columbia City, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

They were happy to take my application. I wrote that I'm bilingual-Spanish, type 55 wpm, worked in Acct. Rec./Acct. Pay., customer service, translate for school district, courthouse, plus grocery store. I'm a well organized client, worked on Microsoft, windows, input on computers; answered phones, filed, clerical work. Just written tests in group of 8 women. Received a letter in the mail to thank me for applying.

Interview Questions

• Please read and solve problems. Read a story and make corrections on spelling, punctuation, etc. Do a word math problem. Plus, add, subtract, multiply and divide number problems. Solve a percentage problem. Turn papers in and they will contact you.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Beaverton, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

We sat down and had a chat about my likes, dislikes, what I'm doing in school, why I enjoyed previous jobs and why I didn't. I had applied for all open positions, and due to my past work experience, I was offered a job in the Deli. My interviewer was the floral manager and a customer service rep and she was very laid back and nice. I was open about who I am and why I thought I'd make a good fit, and she apparently agreed as she zealously offered me a position right away.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clackamas, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Clackamas, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Basic questions, I applied in person at a Safeway where a relative works, and that manager sent my application over to a nearby store. I got a call a couple of days later, at which time a face-to-face interview was scheduled. We sat at the Starbucks tables where I was asked some basic questions. The weirdest part was when my interviewer said," We have two openings, and I am offering you the position which pays less....do you want it?" I felt compelled to say yes, even though I was a little taken aback, and I believe if I had turned it down, I might have been offered the higher-paying position, but they use your need for a job to their advantage. Also, there were no questions to get to know me as a person, and I felt from the beginning that it was totally about what I could give them, and nothing about how their company could benefit me.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you addressed a difficult situation in the workplace.
      How would your friends or co-workers describe you.
      Why do you want to work for Safeway?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They offered me one position, and I felt it was take it or leave it.

Checker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (Hillsboro, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

A phone interview. I guess they were desperate for a cashier so after the quick phone interview they hired me on the spot. I completed the online application and received the phone call a few days later.

Interview Questions

• How long do you see yourself working for safeway?   1 Answer