Safeway Produce Clerk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

1.5

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Safeway (Burlingame, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Went to the interview, did an oral drug test and was offered the position depending on drug test outcome. Chatted with the interviewer for a few minutes about social issues, nothing drastic.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Safeway?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Safeway

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Safeway (San Jose, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was courteous, not necessarily the most responsive. She asked very typical questions. If you have any experience with interviews and aren't incompetent, then it should be pretty easy and straightforward. Other than that, all the questions could be found on other Glassdoor reviews of Safeway.

Interview Questions

• Q: If a customer was buying a birthday cake what three items would you recommend to them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Discovery Bay, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Safeway (Discovery Bay, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call about a week later and went in for an interview. The hiring manager was very nice and asked simple interview questions. It was over in about 15 minutes. The position I applied for was not open at the time, but they said they would find a place for me. A week later I got a call back and went in for training.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied through Safeway's online job portal; made a profile and submitted it to the store location and specific job. I got a call the next day about a job at a different location and not at all what I applied for. This was fine, but I was unclear as to why I couldn't work at the Safeway down the street from where I lived.
    Once in the 'interview,' it was very informal. Basically, they saw I was breathing, actually showed up, and asked if I wanted the job. I accepted then and there and started the next day with training. Not really an interview at all. I was breathing and that was qualification enough, apparently.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to start?   1 Answer

Produce Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Safeway.

Interview

Pretty basic. Received a call from the store manager, set up an interview with the hiring manager. Interview was very relaxed, the hiring manager did not make me feel nervous or intimidated. Standard questions (what does customer service mean to you, describe a time you made a customer happy, etc.). Shared a few laughs. Overall pretty positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in East Wenatchee, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (East Wenatchee, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

General "Food Clerk" questionnaire. Are you adaptable, I.E. can you run a register and be pulled way from your department to help the staff/team/store? Willingness to work. After the interview you have to concede to a drug test and background check. The drug test comes before the background check and will determine whether or not you are even eligible to work for the company.

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (Puyallup, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Super easy, got hired on the spot. They don't really ask many questions, but you have to bother them everyday about when you'll be actually hired on. It took her 3 weeks to finally get me in the store, she only called me once and I called her every single day. They are friendly but it's not worth the starting off pay.

Interview Questions

• What where your long term goals.   1 Answer

Produce Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Safeway in May 2015.

Interview

A basic interview, asked if I had committed any crimes, do I use drugs, do I have any health issues that could impair my ability to work at that current location. Also had to use a computer to take a bunch of safety related quizzes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Hiring and interview process was easy. Basic questions were asked, very easy to get through. Was a lengthy process also. I felt very invited to the interview and was called very quickly.

Produce Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Safeway in November 2014.

Interview

The interview takes place in the office next to the messy break room, which is sparsely populated with surly unfriendly future co-workers who don't look up or smile. In the office there is a bank of monitors and associated wiring and humming boxes, showing various views around the store where customers might be in need of observance. The video is fuzzy and cheap looking, but a somewhat shocking reminder of our constant lack of privacy in the modern world. The "person in charge" is friendly and relaxed, to the point of yelling at an employee in the break room about an unpleasant odor that she detected, without worrying about the perceptions of her present company--the job seeker. The questions are your standard corporate questions read from a loose leaf notebook, with your answers jotted down as you search your heart for the response they would like to hear. Basically, will you give yourself heart and soul to the company at all hours day and night, weekends and holidays, and ask nothing in return? At some point you are notified that the position is part-time on-call, and that the hourly wage is 10 cents over minimum (company policy) and that you will be required to join the union and pay monthly dues for the privilege. Also that any increase in salary is based on time served and not merit, so no incentive to strain yourself trying to outperform anyone. You will be notified within a week if you dodged a bullet or got the job, and someone from corporate will email you or call to find out how the interview went. --Also, Safeway never forgets. So if you were ever fired or if anyone in the past has had an issue with your attitude or performance, you are exiled forever from the glorious company that is Safeway.

Interview Questions

• Somebody comes in looking for a birthday candle, what are three other items you pester them about buying?   1 Answer