Safeway Starbucks Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

1.8

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Safeway.

Interview

Hiring fair, twenty or so people - the whole thing lasted around 3 hours for me. 3 managers worked interviews starting at noon and didn't get to me till 2:30. The manager that interviewed me was not the one I was assigned at the beginning of the day. The interview was fast, methodical, and semi-relaxed. Was offered a position at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• A customer orders a birthday cake, what are 3 things you would recommend going along with the cake?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Safeway

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pleasant and standard. It is important to first fill out the online application, as it is required in order to move forward. Safeway does have grooming and uniform guidelines that the hiring manager will go over with you in the prescreen phone interview, they also drug screen and background check. The interview style is one-on-one and very low pressure. It a great experience for someone who doesn't have very much experience interviewing or has anxiety.

Interview Questions

• The first question was, "Why do you want to work for Safeway?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gambrills, MD

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Safeway (Gambrills, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

I was taken into the breakroom (not the office, two different places) and was asked a couple quick questions before the assistant manager (not the store manager or kiosk manager) stopped and told me, "No need to be nervous! You already got the job; this interview is just a formality." As a sixteen-year-old desperate for a first, this was awesome to hear. Two years and two jobs later I realize that if an interviewer says this, they are desperate for workers, most likely due to the fact a large number of the staff just quit. And when the staff walks out in large numbers, it is most likely due to management. Overall, the assistant manager was nice enough, I just wish it had been in the office so that we were not repeatedly being interrupted by people walking in and out.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Safeway (Portland, OR) in March 2013.

Interview

I began the process with an online application as well as submitting my resume. In around a week I received a call to come in for an interview. While I was early for my interview, my interviewer was twenty minutes late and seemed to be under stress. Immediately upon starting the interview, she gave me a sheet with my potential job description and pay rate, which despite my extensive prior experience as a Starbucks barista was still 50 cents less than my last job as a barista. Despite having submitted my professional resume detailing my work history (and college degree), the interviewer had not read my resume and was unaware at my previous job as a barista.

I was asked basic retail questions such as "How would you handle a conflict with a colleague," or "How would you handle an upset customer?" Just two days after completion of the interview, I received a call back from the same interviewer, offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• Due to the nature of the job, the questions were fairly straightforward and unsurprising; however, I was caught off guard by one simple question: "If someone came to the bakery and ordered a cake, what would you suggest they also buy?" It is a simple question, but I wasn't expecting it, so I stumbled over my answer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't negotiation; I was told what the flat rate for my position was, rather than getting the chance to explain what my salary requirements were.

Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Safeway (Hayward, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Took a personality test and a drug test. They asked if I had experience. They asked if I could work different shifts and hours. Provided me scenarios of customer service problems and asked me how I would handle them.

Interview Questions

• What was my availability? How did I feel I could provide world class customer service to the customers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Tempe, AZ) in June 2012.

Interview

The whole process was pretty simple. I applied online for a number of different positions and a few days later I received a call and asked if I was still interested and when I could meet for an interview. Scheduled the interview for a few days later at an alternate location because the person who called wasn't going to be there but they had me interview with another person. I was told to go to the customer service desk when I arrived and they told me to go upstairs. The interview was really simple just a few questions about my past experiences and why I wanted to work for Safeway. After the questions she told me that they were going to move forward with me and that I needed to do a drug test and background test. The drug test was simple just had to put a sponge thing in your mouth for a few minutes. My background test came back quickly so they asked how many forms of ID I had which I had my drivers license and my social security card so she was able to do all my paper work while I filled out some tax papers on the computer. After that paper work she gave me a packet of papers I needed to sign and that was it. She asked when I was wanted to start I told her asap, she suggested I take a day so that I could a uniform together and I started training the day after that. Pretty easy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your most recent work experience?   Answer Question
    • What would your last employer/manager say is your best/strongest attribute?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to give excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a customer complaint.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Safeway?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

Filled out the online application and was contacted by the hiring manager at a branch (different than the specific one I applied for). We spent about 30 minutes going over my work history and then was told I would have to pass a drug test and join the Union.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

Received a better offer at a different cafe

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process was easy, everone was nice and helpful. It was only a 20 min interview with easy questions, as it was my fist job. I got to talk to the boss of the store right after the interview which was nice.

Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Safeway (Saskatoon, SK (Canada)) in November 2012.

Interview

Very easy interview, the most important thing is when you are available. Start conversation with positions, wages, and brief introduction of Safeway (Must join the union to be employed). Hired on the spot. Simple questions:
    Which position(s) are you interested in?
    Why you want to work here?
    Describe a time you were in a team?
    How you deal with disagreement?

Be prepare to answer "can you start training today?"

Interview Questions

Negotiation

minimum wage, not negotiable.

Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Safeway (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied for the Starbucks kiosk job on the Safeway website, and a few days later, I was called in for an interview. After reading some of the reviews on here, I was expecting a drug test, numerous "Describe a situation when..." questions, and thus I prepared thoroughly. The actual interview itself was insanely short. It was seriously ten minutes long. The hiring manager asked me a few simple questions and I was hired then and there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

$10.25 an hour (minimum wage). No room for negotiating as it is an entry-level job. But I was happy.