Sage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.8

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sage (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

long and tedious very long and tedious . Did I mention drawn out? The process was strung out for over 6 months. The hiring manager acted very eager to get me placed ..but then warned me that HQ was very deliberate.. and to be prepared for a long wait. He was correct. After 3 telephone interviews .. and calls for references and resume checks< I was then scheduled for a Day of interviews with 3 Department heads.

Interview Questions

• If I had the choice of living on deserted Island for 3 years with no other people around..what 3 things would take with me from my desk.   1 Answer

Technical Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sage (Newcastle, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview, and then an in-person interview. The whole process was really quite laughable.

Firstly, whenever a company hires full-time recruiters, that should tell you something is very wrong with retention etc. They also get in the way of you and the people who want to recruit you and they fill the whole thing with endless amounts of 'process'. With hindsight, given there was no actual role they were recruiting for here this might all have been a recruitment and HR exercise to justify their existence. I'm being cynical, but it happens.

The telephone interview went reasonably well as an initial contact, but when you go to a formal interview you expect a company to have a reasonable idea of what role they would expect you to perform, and you know, actually read your CV. They should have prepared and known where I would fit in in advance. It became pretty clear that they hadn't done either and when that happens interviews usually come off the rails. I was asked a lot of pointless questions that bore little to no relation to what I would actually be doing in the job. I was informed they were hiring 'talent'.

I did think about attempting to get the interview on track by asking some pointed and awkward questions such as "Have you read my CV? The answer is on there if you'd read it" and "Do you know what position you are recruiting for?" but then I realised that was fruitless and I didn't really care at that point. I blundered through the rest of the questions until the end. At that point I had checked out of the role and the company.

On a more basic, and serious level, the interviewers couldn't dress appropriately for an interview. Given the environment things are obviously going to be more casual, but honestly, if you know you're meeting someone you don't know and you are creating an impression of you and the company.......leave the jeans behind for the day? This is high school preparation for the world of work.

I got a garbled voicemail from a recruiter who could barely speak English a couple of days later about 'giving me feedback', but I'd already started looking at other positions by then. A month later (yes, a month!) I then got told by e-mail "At this time we have decided to pursue another candidate for this current open position." This is the usual bunch of virtue signalling you get, and I would hazard a guess they haven't really recruited anyone.

When you see a number of red flags in an interview it normally means there are a lot more rotten things underneath. This company doesn't know it yet but it is already dead and the most likely outcome is a slow death as existing customers ebb away or a takeover by a company or investment group who will then finish it off over the next few years.

I'm sorry to say that if you have a lot of good experience and you actually have 'talent' this is a company to avoid, which is sad because they are missing out on a lot of good people. That will kill them.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a group of people to.....?   1 Answer

Director of Agency Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sage (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I have never experienced such unprofessional people in my life. The Sage recruiter was terrible. Scheduled meetings without confirming times with me and failed to provide information on the people with whom I was interviewing until I asked.

After the initial screen interview I moved on to an in-person, on-site interview with three people. They were fine. A few days later, I received an email asking me to fill out a candidate experience survey. That seemed a bit odd as I was waiting to hear feedback from the in-person interview. So I emailed the Sage recruiter and got an automatic reply saying that she was no longer with the company. Then I sent an email to the VP I interviewed with - no reply. I sent an email to the recruiter's replacement - no reply. I Tweeted Sage Careers - no reply. I sent an email to recruitment at Sage - no reply.

FINALLY the recruiter's replacement called and informed me that before the initial recruiter left, she had marked in the system that I had declined to move forward. WHAAAAT?!? I told recruiter #2 that was completely untrue and she said she'd follow up. An hour later I received a call from some guy who said he was working with recruiter #1. He told me he called me that morning. He didn't. He also told me he sent me an email. He didn't. Then he proceeded to tell me that they had decided not to move forward. I asked for feedback and it was if he was reading off a script. Complete crap. Insulting, disrespectful and a complete cluster. Plus the lying?

Pay attention to the reviews here. Everything Sage says on their website about how they treat candidates is a lie. This is not a good indication of how they treat employees.

Interview Questions

Sage Response

Jul 1, 2016 – Internal & External Communications Specialist, NA

I am sorry to hear that your candidate experience with Sage has not been a good one. We are proud that the vast majority of the candidates we connect with have a positive experience. That being said ... More

Finance Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sage in March 2016.

Interview

I have applied for a finance manager role. I was asked to take a personality test. Then I was asked to take a math test. After passing both I am asked to conduct some type of "digital interview." There is absolutely no instructions. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I am under the impression there will be no "interviewer" as I can do this "digital interview" at any time of the day. This is the most bizarre process I have ever seen. Can I not talk to anybody at this company? If you people are really interested in me when will I get to talk to a person? This is such a huge turnoff. NO THANK YOU!!!!

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sage (Tampa, FL) in August 2010.

Interview

Initial HR guy called me and we did the usual meet and greet. Scheduled a phone screen call with 3 other folks: A director and two managers.

Each asked questions in turn, each with a specific topic: OO Concepts, DB Concepts, and Project Management/Team concepts.

OO Concept questions were such like "Describe polymorphism", and "What is inheritance". Many more questions along these lines.

DB Concepts: "What are primary and foreign keys used for" and "What is the purposes of indices in databases?" etc, etc.

PM/Team concepts: "Describe your understanding of Scrum". And so on.

The group/Panel interview was much different. I went to their location, and they discussed a recent project that I had worked on. This discussion essentially broke down the project so that they could understand how it was architected. They neatly (and respectfully) picked apart every single aspect of the project, asking questions and challenging ideas.

After that, they had me use a greaseboard to demonstrate any piece of that project that I worked on and was proud of. This was further analyzed and questioned.

Finally, there was a challenge in which they wiped the greaseboard clean, and presented me with a simple problem to solve. I was given a simple input and output requirement, and told not to use any existing libraries that I know of but to solve it using logic and pseudocode. This was again analyzed.

The panel interview was grueling, highly technical, and detailed. They expertly identified where I was weak and where I was strong, but they treated me with dignity and respect.

Interview Questions

• Describe an algorithm or class library that you wrote that you are particularly proud of, and help us understand the OO concepts that you implemented in its design.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated for relocation assistance and salary.

I advise others to be absolutely candid and honest. Be prepared to go very, very in depth with your knowledge. Do not bluff these people. Read the requirements carefully, if you are not qualified, don't waste theirs or your time - they will examine you thoroughly and accurately.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sage.

Interview

The process was rather long and involved. The results were good. The selection process is team-based and allows for buy-in from different constituents, which - long term - ensures the health of the team and is a positive. It can, however, create a lengthy process for hiring.

Interview Questions

• Experience with cloud-based software   1 Answer

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sage in January 2015.

Interview

It was extensive, including five different interviews at various levels. It began with a phone interview of my direct manager, followed by a face-to-face interview with him. Then there was a phone interview with his manager, followed by a face-to-face interview with two of his team members and a phone interview with the consulting manager.

Interview Questions

• How to handle channel conflict as a territory manager, as they also sold direct.   1 Answer

Customer Technical Adviser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sage (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

Standard online application via website followed by some role specific questions.

If successful at this stage applicants receive an e-mail invitation to compete video interview answering pre-set questions via webcam. Applicants can complete practice questions and have ample time to think about answers before recording a response.

After this there is usually telephone confirmation from someone in the recruitment team and an invite to an Assessment day with a number of other potential candidates. During the assessment the group with be split and will complete a role specific competency task (which will be PC based in one of the classrooms with several other) whilst the other members will complete a Face to Face interview with 2 members of management. The Assessment day will take approximately 2 hours.

Applicants will then be given a starting date.

Interview Questions

• Mix of confirmation / discussion around CV and work history followed by specific Competency based questions. Interviewer clear about expectations for 2nd part of interview (see below)   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sage in October 2016.

Interview

Recruiter made contact and then we had a call to assess if I was interested in the role, then went through one to one Interviews with 4 people, management and business, that were competency based, followed by personality and other assessments,

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sage (Manchester, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Well organised and structured, welcome is brilliant and questions were out of the box. managers all friendly, and simple straight forward and to the point, friendly, culture was brought and formal but informal at the same time loved it.

Interview Questions

• where i see myself in 5 years   1 Answer