Sage Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 7, 2017

3.1

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Development Manager Interview

Interview

Well structured, sessions throughout the day, including interviews, role play, scenario, presentation and lunch! No feedback was ever supplied, so not sure what went wrong on their side.

P2P Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sage.

Interview

Overall quiet nice. Friendly Hr and Manager. They asked me to come to newcastel for 3nd round of interview with director and hr business partner. But not willing to pay for train expense from london to New Castel to attend the interview. So i requested if 3rd round can be done via skype as i don''t want to pay either most companies pay for interview travel expenses. HR never got back with reply and i never went for round 3. Looks like they don't have budget.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sage (Newcastle, England (UK)).

Interview

Phone interview on general high-level programming concepts then an on site afternoon consisting of two 1.5 hour sessions, one with two developers on the team i would have been placed on consisting of more nitty gritty technical questions. The second session consisting of a higher level organisational/company fit session again with the team i would have been placed on. The on site interview session was on a friday, i heard back from the recruiter on the following Tuesday, cant commend the quick feedback enough!

Interview Questions

• Current role, interests and experience.
      Standard programming concept questions.
      E.g. Difference between abstract and prototypical inheritance.   Answer Question

AI and Bots Apprenticeship Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sage (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

A group of 6 of us were brought up to one of the meeting rooms and introduced to 3 casually dressed members of staff. We were walked through the current projects they are working on and the ethos of the company.

The interview was a genuinely enjoyable experience with some brilliant interviewee's who very quickly removed the feeling of formality that comes with Interviews.

The two tasks we were judged upon were our ability to build an AI chat bot within the half hour time slot we were given (with half an hour beforehand to familiarise ourselves with the software) and the ability to work within a team.

A lot of companies could learn from this interview process and I consider myself lucky to have gained the position and to now be working within a company that can hold an interview of that calibre.

Interview Questions

• To create a solution for a current problem somewhere within the world that could be solved with the use of AI/Bots   Answer Question

IT Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sage (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The application was completed online and I attended their office for an interview. I was given some details of the questions I would be asked and prepared for these as well as looking for information online. The company seemed to be genuine as everyone working there was happy and no-one wanted to leave to work anywhere else. When I attended the interview I was treated courteously and told I could help myself to a hot drink from the machine. I arrived 15 minutes early and only had to wait that 15 minutes to be called in.

Interview Questions

• What did I know of their company? Had I researched the company online and what had I discovered.   1 Answer

Technical Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sage (Newcastle, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview, and then an in-person interview. The whole process was really quite laughable.

Firstly, whenever a company hires full-time recruiters, that should tell you something is very wrong with retention etc. They also get in the way of you and the people who want to recruit you and they fill the whole thing with endless amounts of 'process'. With hindsight, given there was no actual role they were recruiting for here this might all have been a recruitment and HR exercise to justify their existence. I'm being cynical, but it happens.

The telephone interview went reasonably well as an initial contact, but when you go to a formal interview you expect a company to have a reasonable idea of what role they would expect you to perform, and you know, actually read your CV. They should have prepared and known where I would fit in in advance. It became pretty clear that they hadn't done either and when that happens interviews usually come off the rails. I was asked a lot of pointless questions that bore little to no relation to what I would actually be doing in the job. I was informed they were hiring 'talent'.

I did think about attempting to get the interview on track by asking some pointed and awkward questions such as "Have you read my CV? The answer is on there if you'd read it" and "Do you know what position you are recruiting for?" but then I realised that was fruitless and I didn't really care at that point. I blundered through the rest of the questions until the end. At that point I had checked out of the role and the company.

On a more basic, and serious level, the interviewers couldn't dress appropriately for an interview. Given the environment things are obviously going to be more casual, but honestly, if you know you're meeting someone you don't know and you are creating an impression of you and the company.......leave the jeans behind for the day? This is high school preparation for the world of work.

I got a garbled voicemail from a recruiter who could barely speak English a couple of days later about 'giving me feedback', but I'd already started looking at other positions by then. A month later (yes, a month!) I then got told by e-mail "At this time we have decided to pursue another candidate for this current open position." This is the usual bunch of virtue signalling you get, and I would hazard a guess they haven't really recruited anyone.

When you see a number of red flags in an interview it normally means there are a lot more rotten things underneath. This company doesn't know it yet but it is already dead and the most likely outcome is a slow death as existing customers ebb away or a takeover by a company or investment group who will then finish it off over the next few years.

I'm sorry to say that if you have a lot of good experience and you actually have 'talent' this is a company to avoid, which is sad because they are missing out on a lot of good people. That will kill them.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a group of people to.....?   1 Answer

Title Withheld for Confidentiality Reasons Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sage (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)).

Interview

After my rather poor interview experience, I am not at all surprised at the 2.7 star rating this organisation has on Glassdoor. I performed an initial phone screen with the recruiter followed by an in person interview on the Sage campus. Zero guidance was provided in terms of the arrival process at the Sage campus, in terms of who to ask for upon arriving on site at reception. A very minor detail, but indicative of how the process would progress. On the day, I had an in person interview comprised of approximately 4-5 open ended discussion questions that did not seem overly applicable to the role I was applying for and seemed to be those of a generic standard issue. I was also asked what my salary requirements were and I quoted the maximum amount (including bonus) approved for this role (as I been provided with this figure by the recruiter). At the conclusion of the interview, which seemingly went well given the reaction of the individuals in the room given my response to the queries and my work experience, I was told I would hear from them within a week's time.

Some time comes and goes and I hear nothing from them. I sent a chaser to the recruiter and finally received a response two days later that they would not be proceeding with my application. Whilst I will take on board any development points provided to me, the decision made contradicted the takeaways and commentary provided by the interviewer during the course of the discussion in light of my work experience and responses. Rather insultingly, the feedback ultimately provided by the recruiter was of a fairly brief, generic nature (less than a sentence of proper, well articulated feedback). This is not consistent with the process followed by high performing organisations who will take the time to provide feedback verbally (or written) on the day that a decision, either of a positive or negative nature, is provided to a candidate. An offer was provided by the recruiter for a verbal discussion, however I would have needed to book in with them at a future time. In essence this came across optically as an attempt for Sage to cover themselves and to give them time to get their stories straight internally. Ultimately to the extent my experience was not as strong as that held by other candidates, this would have been identified prior to an in person discussion. To the uninitiated, it would seem that salary lowballing might well have been at play, but of course nobody can actually come out and say that.

In essence it left me with the sentiment that the process was neither overly honest nor transparent and seems generally consistent with the reviews left on this site. Whilst the process has left me generally disenfranchised with this organisation, I feel as I've managed to dodge a bullet as the culture of this organisation does not seem fit for purpose.

Interview Questions

Sage Response

Nov 25, 2016 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking time to write your review, I am following this up with the UK team, please accept my apologies for your experience. Please feel free to write to me directly with more information... More

Internal Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sage (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Quick four stage process: (1) 20 min HR/recruitment call. (2) Then half hour call with Head of department. (3) Next round was a F2F interview with Head of and business lead. (4) Final stage interview was 45 mins with senior business manager.

Recruitment agent was incredibly pleasant and informative throughout. All interviewers were engaged and asked challenging, probing questions. But as interviews were relatively short, it was difficult to get in some of my own questions.

All done in three weeks, however the very quick turnaround (final interview was held the day after confirmation at 8am) did slightly hamper my ability to prepare as thoroughly as I would have liked.

Generally a very positive interview experience, if a disappointing outcome from a personal perspective.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sage.

Interview

Natural and without pressure, it has been organized to make me feel comfortable. Things were clearly explained and it was the exact description of the reality. The interview has been leaded by the HR and the manager for the role, that gave more realism to put expectations realistic

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sage (Newcastle, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Telephone interview with recruiter. He explained the role, the company culture and the way the team was set up. From then had a short phone call with the hiring manager and then a face to face interview. Interview was around 1 hour and I had plenty of time to ask questions.

Enjoyed meeting the team and got a really good feel for the place.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Sage
      Talk me through your experience
      Technical questions