Sagence Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Sagence

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sagence

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sagence in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process at Sagence was incredibly thorough, informed and communicative.

For some context, I'd heard about the firm through a former colleague, who had worked with a principal on some projects. My first interaction was with this principal. The conversation was relaxed, two sided and engaging; it was as much about my experience and credentials as it was about the company, their niche, and their plans for new hires.

After that initial call, I had my first chat with the in house recruiting team. Again, it was a relaxed and engaging conversation where my questions and worries had as much air time as was required. What struck me after this call, and after all of my subsequent interview rounds, was the feedback given. Later in the day after my chat with the recruiter, the principal who had been my contact reached out and let me know what I had done well on. I'd never had this happen before; it struck me then (and continues to be confirmed with my employment) that this was a firm and culture that valued communication and feedback in all things.

The formal interview process was three rounds; a phone call with a partner, a super day consisting of hour long interviews with two partners and a manager, and a final chat via phone with another partner. The sheer number of heavy hitters during the recruiting process tells you a lot about Sagence; they care about the people they onboard, and partners of all types and experiences want to make sure that people are good cultural and skills fits. As mentioned, after each round of interviews, I received calls from the recruiter and my contact (the principal) giving me progress reports, feedback, as well as insights on what would happen next. At no point did I end one of those calls without a clear understanding of what was going to happen next, whether it was an additional scheduled call, or an email confirming questions I had, etc. That clarity of process alone was reassuring.

A brief note about the super day; it was three one hour interview sessions, one on one, with one being a case study that was slowly unveiled by the partner conducting the interview. Very much unlike a McKinsey or BCG case, where materials are received before hand and deliverables are part of the interview, it was more of a conversational thought problem, with elements continually unveiling themselves as the dialogue progressed. Very fun as an intellectual exercise, and a good way to see if the candidate has the ability to ask smart questions, frame problems and understand the various components of the case.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult piece would have to be the case study; as I understand, it changes every time, and you don't know the premise before hand. Sagence isn't Google; they won't ask how many golf balls will fill up a 747. But they do expect hires to have an understanding of a certain industry, a certain amount of knowledge about 'data, etc.' and/or a demonstrated ability to ask smart questions and frame problems. That's the purpose of the case, and it varies according to candidates.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sagence

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sagence (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

My experience interviewing with Sagence was very positive. At every stage of the process, I felt very informed of my status, completely aware of the next steps, and truly engaged with the hiring manager and interviewers. As all jobseekers are well-aware, those feelings are almost never experienced in a job search. With larger firms, the interview process makes you feel as though you are just another applicant in a pool of hundreds, but with Sagence, you feel as though you are the most important applicant.

With all that being said, Sagence runs a very thorough vetting process. Considering its size, Sagence puts great effort in the interview process to ensure that the candidate is a good fit for the firm and that the firm is a good fit for the candidate. My interview experience consisted of an initial phone interview with the recruiting manager, a phone interview with a senior manager to gauge industry knowledge, and a full day of in-person, hour long interviews with two partners and an associate. One of the full-day interviews included a situational case-study that was used to see how the applicant thinks through business problems. Whereas other firms might ask how many shoes are sold in the US each year, Sagence's case study puts you in a real-world data situation and sets out to test your analytical skills, ability to ask the right questions, and propensity to frame problems appropriately.

After completing the interview process, I immediately received feedback and an offer from Sagence. Reflecting back on my interview experience, I truly am grateful that the interview process was challenging, direct, and open. For both the company and applicant, fit is the most important factor. Sagence does a great job of honing in on fit for the betterment of the firm's success and the applicant's career.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging interview question was the case study. My case was both data- and industry-specific. Applicants are not given the information ahead of time, but you are provided with tips and suggestions on how to be successful in the case interview.   Answer Question

Sagence Response

Jul 7, 2015 – Recruiting Director

We are thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience throughout the interview process. It's good to know that our interviews are both challenging and informative. We recognize that... More