Sagence Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sagence Interview Questions

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sagence

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sagence.

Interview

First I had a phone screen with the Recruiting Director. About a week later I had a phone interview. A week or two later I had three in-person interviews -- one case-type interview and two more behavioral-type interviews.

In general, the interviews were very conversational. The process was very quick (from first conversation to offer was about 1 month) and communication with Recruiting Director was easy and I was kept up-to-date with next steps at all times. There was little to no wondering about when I would hear back or what to expect from a conversation. Overall, it was a quick, smooth, process that allowed me to learn quite a bit about the firm and present myself well.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to walk though a conceptual data issue for an industry in which I have no professional experience, but am at least aware of.   Answer Question

Jul 7, 2015 – Recruiting Director

It's great to hear you had a positive experience during the interview process. Our goal is to always provide a seamless and transparent process for all of our candidates regardless of the outcome... More

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sagence (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The initial interview process was with HR over the phone. The interview with HR was very straight forward and more of a basic screening. After being interviewed by HR, I was set up for 3 more interviews with local consultants. The entire interview process went smoothly and I felt well informed of each step. HR in particular was very helpful in making sure I understood with whom I was interviewing and what to expect. The 3 interviews with consultants was with different levels of management which seems pretty standard. The interview themselves were very fair in terms of questions and the interviewers all came across as well spoken and bright people which made me want to work at Sagence more. The last interview was a situational interview but not one of those situational interviews that ask very strange or purposely challenging questions made to test you in some area that you were not expecting. The situational interview questions were very relevant to my field and past experience. After the interviews, I heard from HR shortly after. Everything seemed well run and there was no prolonged delays or bumps in any part of the process.

Interview Questions

• What are three things you would like me to take away about you from this interview?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Sagence? How do you think you would fit in?   Answer Question

Jul 7, 2015 – Recruiting Director

Thanks for the positive feedback! We're happy to hear your interview experience with Sagence was a good one and we're thrilled you've come to work with us!

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sagence.

Interview

Hiring process was quick and efficient. Consisted of multiple one-on-one sessions throughout the entire process. Lead recruiter was quick to respond to questions and was really helpful during the process; provided a glimpse of what one can expect during the interviews. Interviews were very conversational, which was a plus. Overall, everything was complete in about a month.

Interview Questions

• What are your hobbies? How are they related to your work ethic?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sagence (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

My experience interviewing with Sagence was very positive. At every stage of the process, I felt very informed of my status, completely aware of the next steps, and truly engaged with the hiring manager and interviewers. As all jobseekers are well-aware, those feelings are almost never experienced in a job search. With larger firms, the interview process makes you feel as though you are just another applicant in a pool of hundreds, but with Sagence, you feel as though you are the most important applicant.

With all that being said, Sagence runs a very thorough vetting process. Considering its size, Sagence puts great effort in the interview process to ensure that the candidate is a good fit for the firm and that the firm is a good fit for the candidate. My interview experience consisted of an initial phone interview with the recruiting manager, a phone interview with a senior manager to gauge industry knowledge, and a full day of in-person, hour long interviews with two partners and an associate. One of the full-day interviews included a situational case-study that was used to see how the applicant thinks through business problems. Whereas other firms might ask how many shoes are sold in the US each year, Sagence's case study puts you in a real-world data situation and sets out to test your analytical skills, ability to ask the right questions, and propensity to frame problems appropriately.

After completing the interview process, I immediately received feedback and an offer from Sagence. Reflecting back on my interview experience, I truly am grateful that the interview process was challenging, direct, and open. For both the company and applicant, fit is the most important factor. Sagence does a great job of honing in on fit for the betterment of the firm's success and the applicant's career.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging interview question was the case study. My case was both data- and industry-specific. Applicants are not given the information ahead of time, but you are provided with tips and suggestions on how to be successful in the case interview.   Answer Question

Jul 7, 2015 – Recruiting Director

We are thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience throughout the interview process. It's good to know that our interviews are both challenging and informative. We recognize that... More

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sagence in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process at Sagence was incredibly thorough, informed and communicative.

For some context, I'd heard about the firm through a former colleague, who had worked with a principal on some projects. My first interaction was with this principal. The conversation was relaxed, two sided and engaging; it was as much about my experience and credentials as it was about the company, their niche, and their plans for new hires.

After that initial call, I had my first chat with the in house recruiting team. Again, it was a relaxed and engaging conversation where my questions and worries had as much air time as was required. What struck me after this call, and after all of my subsequent interview rounds, was the feedback given. Later in the day after my chat with the recruiter, the principal who had been my contact reached out and let me know what I had done well on. I'd never had this happen before; it struck me then (and continues to be confirmed with my employment) that this was a firm and culture that valued communication and feedback in all things.

The formal interview process was three rounds; a phone call with a partner, a super day consisting of hour long interviews with two partners and a manager, and a final chat via phone with another partner. The sheer number of heavy hitters during the recruiting process tells you a lot about Sagence; they care about the people they onboard, and partners of all types and experiences want to make sure that people are good cultural and skills fits. As mentioned, after each round of interviews, I received calls from the recruiter and my contact (the principal) giving me progress reports, feedback, as well as insights on what would happen next. At no point did I end one of those calls without a clear understanding of what was going to happen next, whether it was an additional scheduled call, or an email confirming questions I had, etc. That clarity of process alone was reassuring.

A brief note about the super day; it was three one hour interview sessions, one on one, with one being a case study that was slowly unveiled by the partner conducting the interview. Very much unlike a McKinsey or BCG case, where materials are received before hand and deliverables are part of the interview, it was more of a conversational thought problem, with elements continually unveiling themselves as the dialogue progressed. Very fun as an intellectual exercise, and a good way to see if the candidate has the ability to ask smart questions, frame problems and understand the various components of the case.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult piece would have to be the case study; as I understand, it changes every time, and you don't know the premise before hand. Sagence isn't Google; they won't ask how many golf balls will fill up a 747. But they do expect hires to have an understanding of a certain industry, a certain amount of knowledge about 'data, etc.' and/or a demonstrated ability to ask smart questions and frame problems. That's the purpose of the case, and it varies according to candidates.   Answer Question