Salesforce Business Development Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Salesforce Business Development Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2017

3.4

Business Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

Applied through a employee referral. This process took about a month from application submission to offer.
Process was 2 calls and an onsite interview. 1st call was with a recruiter located at the headquarters and is more to go over your resume and see why you are interested in the company. 2nd call was with a BDR recruiter located in the onsite office. This was another time to get a feel for your background and see if you would be a good fit for the company and that particular office. That went well so we scheduled an in person interview with 2 BDM's and 2 BDRs currently in the position. Meg was my recruiter and made sure I was prepared for the interview by providing me with tons of helpful content to study. Went into the onsite portion feeling very confident because of her help. The onsite dove more into past sales scenario and how they would translate and what you could add to the team.

The time spent studying the products and preparing is what makes this lean toward difficult rather than average but if you put in the time you see the results so it is worth it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very quick. In one week, I received the first email from the recruiter, spoke to him, and was connected to a second recruiter before coming into the office the second week for an onsite interview. The recruiters were very direct and transparent, asking me questions directly related to my previous experience and performance. They also asked me to speak to them a bit more about why I want to join Salesforce, and, immediately invited me for an onsite. The onsite was a two part interview, first with BDRs and second with managers. They asked very straightforward questions about my experience, deals I've funneled, my experience with different lead qualification methods, my understanding of the Salesforce ecosystem, among others. They were honest about the exigencies of the job and the challenges that come with the BDR role, along with the many different perks.

Interview Questions

• Why sales? Why Salesforce? Where do you see yourself in a few years? What is something about you not on your resume? What was a deal you worked on? What would you do differently if you could go back and work on that deal?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Salesforce (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

This was far and away the best interview process I have ever gone through. I'd like to think I've cast a pretty large net and have gone though some of the hardest interviews out there in terms of tech. I currently work for a large Fortune 500 company and have worked at smaller sales organizations as well. The Salesforce interview process was a dream. I reached out to recruiters was contacted very quickly and given very clear next steps through the entire process. I'd say all in all it took about a month from the initial phone call to the signed offer. (Granted I had been working with other recruiters for a couple months in other offices) However, my entire Chicago process took about 4 weeks. Initial 15 minute phone screen. very light get to know you kind of questions. Then she scheduled me for more of a deep dive call with a different recruiter. This was about 30 minutes diving deeper into job functions, abilities, interests, and finding a good fit at SF. It's just a conversation, don't forget that. On that call I was invited in person to the Chicago office. I was greeted in the main lobby by the recruiter and walked up to the meeting room. She sat with me for 5-10 minutes just talking about normal day to day and welcoming me to Chicago. Very bright and bubbly personality! You could tell she was very happy to be working for Salesforce! Next I met with two hiring managers who sat with me for 1 hour and engaged in a fantastic discussion. They were very welcoming, professional, knowledgeable, and conversational. Very cool people! It was nothing like a traditional interview with plain old questions one after another. It was honestly a conversation with a few questions sprinkled along the way. Now, please understand that I came very well prepared. After the second phone call the recruiter had sent me a TON of helpful SF information to study up on. I hit it hard, very hard. Even wrote it all out on note cards and stored it to memory. Therefore, walking into the meeting I knew that I had brought my 100% so my perception of the "conversational" interview style might be the result of the prep work. It's not rocket science, it is challenging but its fun stuff and they really prime you for success. I feel that its honestly up to you to get the job or not. They give you all the right things and an invite to the dance. You just have to show up and perform! After spending 1 hour with both hiring managers I was able to sit with a rep and senior rep from the team in the same room for 30 minutes. This is the time to pull out the day to day questions and get a feel for the culture and team environment. Save the big picture questions for management. However, don't discount the reps sitting in front of you. Their opinion of you, as well as the recruiters, holds great weight and is a part of your overall "score" if you will. All in all, everyone I worked with showed great passion, respect, and care for the process. I left feeling rather confident but still hopeful for the chance to join the sales team there. I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to go through the process and look forward to a bright future ahead.

Interview Questions

• One question that surfaced a few times in different forms was my prospecting approach. I also enjoyed a curve ball they threw once. What was a question that you wish we had asked you but didn't.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I received a recommendation from a friend at Salesforce to apply for the Business Development Representative role through the employee referral option and I submitted my application. I received a call back from my recruiter, Meg Lowecki, and we had a 30 minute conversation about my career. She was very easy to talk to and confirmed this role to be the right fit for me. I live in a different state than the office I applied to and she made it easy for me to schedule an in person meeting after taking a phone screen interview with a Director. I was scheduled for a two hour panel interview in-person two weeks after the Director Screening. Before the interview, Meg sent an email that included many helpful articles and a set of instructions for how to best prepare. I also received an email with the agenda and instructions from the interview coordinator. The process was very clearly defined and answered any questions I would have asked. In the interview, I spent the first 45 minutes with two current BDRs and we spent the time getting to know one other. They asked me questions and I had time to ask them very specific questions about the position. It was laid back and comfortable and I found that to be helpful before I met with the BDR supervisors. I was given a 15 minute break to prep for a mock cold call before the supervisors came in. I was interviewed by 3 supervisors and they asked me questions for about an hour and we went over my resume. I was also given time to ask them questions at the end of the interview. Overall, this was one of the best interview experiences I have ever had because Salesforce clearly defines the process and you are always instructed about what the next step is. The team of recruiters are very skilled and personable. I would rate the interview as difficult due to the length of time it took and the amount of preparation I had to put in but in the end I see that as a positive. Salesforce is very particular about who they hire and I appreciate how thorough they are and that they focus on finding the right people who fit their culture.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Salesforce (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied through the Salesforce website and got an email the following day for an interview. 2 recruiters actually contacted me. I spoke to the first recruiter and was later contacted to schedule an in person interview. I received an email with the names of 2 manager and 2 business development reps.

I was excited for the interview and specifically applied to the Business Development Rep position so I can get a job at Salesforce and later move on to a Solutions Engineering role. I wanted a foot in the door with a position I thought I was going to get. I have done tech sales for other companies and prospected, cold called and did the entire outside sales thing. I’m 5 years over qualified for the role but I just wanted in.

I created a quick portfolio of my work. I included my resume, cover letter, work history timeline, and marketing work I created. The 2 managers came into the room and sat down. They had high energy and talkative, which was comforting. I like high energy because I communicate in that fashion so it worked for me. The first thing they said was why I didn’t apply for the account management role. They told me I have the years of experience and I explained to them why I didn’t apply to the AM role. I actually wanted to learn more about the CRM product. Both managers started to talk among themselves out loud and say they would put me on a ramp up training so I can be promoted. They basically told me I got the job, then and there. They made me believe I got it. They ask various questions and I referred to my work timeline and explained my prospecting, sales, leadership and account management experience.

I am then asked to role-play and pretend they are the customers and sell the product. I paused a few moments and just thought of something to say. One manager said “wow, that was pretty good off the top of your head”

Overall, I really thought I had the job. Both managers practically told me I had it and even said they were going to put me on a “ramp up” to an AM. I emailed the initial recruiter the next day for contact info for all that interviewed me. I didn’t get a response. I wanted to send thank you emails. Since the recruiter didn’t answer I hand wrote 4 letters and was about to walk out the door when I received the phone call saying I did not get the job due not having prospecting experience. She told me I have a great personality and I fit in the Salesforce culture. I was then advised to get more prospecting experience from the position under the business development rep role.

I’ve worked full time throughout college managing multi-million dollar stores on Michigan Ave, have 5 years outside tech sales experience and I have about 7 years working with non-profits. Not one of the other business development reps I met with even come close to the experience I have (I looked them up on LinkedIn along with the managers). I even had more experience than 1 of the managers.

I told the recruiter how I thought the interview went and even told her what they said. The recruiter then told me that’s what they do, they have “poker faces” and didn’t mean it. This was a shock to me, why anyone would do that? Why would the 2 managers tease me about a job?

The recruiter said she would help me. I accepted the fact they wanted to place me in a lower position and asked me to apply when I see a posting. I applied to the sales development position and emailed the recruiter. She never responded.

I am a firm believer everything happens for a reason. I am not dwelling on not getting the job. Of course it’s not a good feeling being rejected from a company I’ve wanted to work for since college. However, I do not like the lack of professionalism of the management team “poker faces” and the recruiter didn’t even email me back.

I noticed something else in the office and all 4 people who interviewed me. All 4 interviewee’s were white women. I do not want to make this an ethnicity issue because I am not sure it was. It probably wasn’t. My point in this statement is the lack of diversity in the office. I walked home after the interview and was excited because I thought I had the job but couldn’t help but think how everyone that interviewed me were white women and how white the office was. Whether it was unconsciously or consciously done, I should not have felt that way but I did.

If psychologists have studied people’s biased tendencies on interviews based on ethnicities, why wouldn’t top companies like Salesforce have more of a diverse interviewing team to eliminate biases? For example, if people tend to pick others with similar features and backgrounds, why wouldn’t the management team be diverse to bring in others? I thought that what Salesforce is about equality? There wasn’t anything equal about that office. Just a thought…

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was referred to the position by an employee. There were two initial phone screens followed by a final in person interview. The in person interview consisted of two one on one's with current business development representatives. I then met with two managers from both the commercial and enterprise side of the business. The process was great and they were very upfront with their expectations from the beginning.

Interview Questions

• Describe Salesforce as if you were talking to a friend   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

There was a lot of transparency in the interview, which was very helpful. The entire process took one week, including one phone screen, a second phone call that was meant to prepare for the onsite interview, and the onsite itself. The recruiters provided lots of materials to prepare me.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process lasted a little longer than I originally expected, but it was very enjoyable and detailed. My interview came from an employee referral. It started with multiple phone screens with recruiters, managers and then an in person interview with managers and the team. I was given an offer and accepted the same week.

Business Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in March 2017.

Interview

Started with an initial phone screen, then had two in-person interviews. The whole process took only a month.

The only hiccups I had were that the recruiter didn't know the details of the incentive comp (the hiring managers were able to explain this), and that I received my offer letter only two weeks before my proposed start date... They had to do this to send me to "boot camp" in San Francisco with the other reps, but it would have been nice to have more flexibility on the start date.

Overall, the interviews were very conversational. You are expected to have questions for them so come prepared! The whole process was pretty easy and straightforward, and my recruiter was really helpful!

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

A 2 hour interview with 4 different Salesforce employees in the Business Development space (2 Managers, 2 BDRs). Each interview was a 30 minute breakout asking about experiences with work and then they allowed 10 minutes for me to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• Walk you through your accomplishments at previous stops you were at   1 Answer