Salesforce Sales Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.6

46 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Principal Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Extremely friendly people, but there is no update on where you are in the process, and progress updates are not followed up on time. The mentor works with you through the process, and is willing to respond to you about any question and at any time.

Interview Questions

• What would you respond if the customer says the product you sell isn't worth the money?.   Answer Question

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

Amazingly organized, thought through, introspective and relevant process. It was a pleasure to go through it and was an opportunity to both understand the company and determine if the role was the right fit both both sides. Perhaps the best interview experience I've had with any organization.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (Houston, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Long and intensive process, very professional, I had about 6 rounds of talking to various people from different roles.the final panel was intense too, I had 9 people on the panel.

Interview Questions

• Could you describe the solution engineer? What is this job exactly?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Do you like wasting your time? Do you like begging for and receiving charity? Do you like dull managers? Do you like being low-balled on salary? Welcome to Salesforce.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone screen. Asked usual questions and came to my salary and would not budge when I said I don't feel comfortable sharing it.
    Recruiter: "Finance won't let me proceed on interviews without your salary, its just our standard process. I just can't let you proceed with the next interview without that information."
    Right from the start they make you feel like they are doing charity for you and attempt to bully you. I didn't cave in and kept deflecting for later discussion on salary.

Next had a couple of phone screen interviews followed by on-site with managers. Sales Engineering Directors were outright dull in their responses to my questions.
    Me: "What's your favorite part about working at Salesforce?"
    SE Manager: "The people are just so great. We work hard, we have fun, its a nice company."
    That's really your best answer and way to inspire me on joining the company? So at all the other companies people aren't great, don't work hard and don't have fun? haha all their answers were just as dull.

Next was the final on-site presentation. They give you a week to prepare for it. They attempt to throw you off with random questions during the demo and won't let you finish within stipulated time. I wanted to laugh at how lame some attempts to waste time are. Overall I've given over 1,000 demos, I'm used to it. I kept going and finished in time, gained consensus from the room that it went well. They wouldn't provide any feedback though and we were out of time so I left. I emailed managers and HR about it repeatedly but no feedback.
    You're the candidate. After you spent 1 week preparing for the interview, deliver it on-site, how dare you ask for feedback? You're just a candidate among many. You should feel privileged and feel our charity should we decide to proceed with you towards an offer.

What came next was so appalling I couldn't have predicted. Recruiter delayed for 2 weeks without responding. I got another offer with a deadline during this time. Recruiter calls me on the day of my other offer deadline saying they need to interview all other candidates before making a decision. Are you kidding me? No presentation feedback yet and now making me feel like they would select me from a list of candidates and do me an charitable favor that I need to wait for.
    Recruiter: "I can't tell you what to do with your other offer but this is our process and we will need to wait for other interviews to be completed before making a decision. We need to wait for 4 more days."
    18 more days pass and not a word. I have given up, not bothered to even reach out to them because why beg for charity? I assumed its over, accepted the other companies' offer and couldn't have been happier.

Funnily enough, I finally hear from the recruiter saying they want to give me an offer. Haha sounds like the process and other candidates all worked out well.
    The fun part was they decided to offer me less than my current salary. Remember I never gave them my salary? They decided to low ball me. I thanked her for the time and said I won't be able to accept it because its less than my current salary.
    Recriter: "Okay tell us your current salary and we'll match it". Nah, thanks, I don't need you to do anything.

Trust me spend your time elsewhere, its not worth it. I'm just disappointed that a well-known company can be so broken and depressing. I read elsewhere that Salesforce is not the cutting-edge place it used to be. Now I got to experience it first hand. Good luck to their team, hopefully they will improve in the future.

Interview Questions

• They will try to throw you off with random questions during the demo, just keep calm and deflect.   Answer Question

Salesforce Response

Apr 27, 2017 – SVP, Global Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your experience and bringing this to our attention. The etiquette and issues you encountered during your interview process are very disappointing. This review has been flagged... More

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Herndon, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

There was an initial interview with hiring manager to determine interest. Following that there was a one day series of interviews with six people to further vet my skills and for me to learn more about the role and expectations. Finally there was a panel interview where I had to prepare a presentation and demo. I presented to the panel while they asked questions. It was used to determine time management, people management and the ability to run a meeting.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the challenges you think you will face in this role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process took a bit a time and in depth. There was a fair amount of pre screening prior to talking to hiring managers. I talked to 3 or 4 hiring managers, who all interviewed a bit differently. Big focus on value selling and knowing the industry. The in person interview was in front of a decent size board (6-10 people) and covered something I was comfortable with and also demonstrating Salesforce in a customer situation. Great people and great guidance throughout the process. I love that they gave me a coach to help me prep the Salesforce demonstration.

Interview Questions

• Very deep industry questions.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online through SF's website and was contacted the next afternoon by a person from recruiting for an informational call about the position. Next step was a phone interview with hiring manager discussing position and my interests. Finally, I was asked to create a SF product to solve the issues presented in a case study. Then I had onsite interviews with various working level personal and team managers. The onsite interview ended with a full demonstration of the product I created in front of most of the product team.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (Denver, CO) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a series of phone interviews leading up to a final presentation/demonstration. The first two interviews were with internal recruiters, then an interview with the hiring manager. Subsequently I had calls with directors of sales engineering and then the VP of Sales Engineering for North America. After getting through those gates, I was invited to give a final presentation in role for the same people that I had phone interviews with.

Interview Questions

• Throughout the process I was asked about domain experience, technical questions, presentation style questions and many other questions related to the the day to day role of sales engineering.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I was first screened by a junior SF recruiter, then a senior SF recruiter, followed by the hiring manager, hiring manager's peer, North American SE leader, then was asked to deliver a f2f demonstration to a panel of peers using Salesforce software.

Interview Questions

• The interview focus was less on technical aptitude and more on business experience and sales approach, as well as willingness and interest in learning. SF values creativity and malleability more than deep technical knowledge.   Answer Question

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was a pretty easy interview. All we did was talk about my previous experience and life in general. You do not need to prepare for this one! It was a pretty easy interview. All we did was talk about my previous experience and life in general. You do not need to prepare for this one!