Salesforce Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Salesforce Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Salesforce (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I applied online, and a recruiter reach out after a few weeks. I did 2 initial phone screens, a technical phone round and an onsite interview. Everyone was very friendly and professional throughout the process.

My overall impression regarding Salesforce's technical interviews is that they are software engineering focused, and interviewers are looking for systems-level thinking, knowledge of your claimed languages, and good coding practices more than just textbook computer science. Contrast this to Facebook, Google where you may be an accomplished engineer but get dinged in your interview for not having memorized the optimal implementation of heapsort.

Interview Questions

• OOP: how you would design a certain game   Answer Question
  • algorithm question: dynamic programming problem involving phone pad   Answer Question
  • domain expertise: describe and illustrate your projects in detail   Answer Question
  • systems design: how would you build a scalable data ingestion and reporting system   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Take home project, phone interview, then on-site. I thought the process was well organized. The phone interview went a deep dive in the take home project, which was expended into an algorithm interview. The on-site was with 4 groups of 2 each, structured as design, algorithm, scala/spark, and date science. For the algorithm and the scala/spark interview, I was asked to go through the solution on the white board first and then actually coding on a macbook. The interviewers were very knowledgeable in the respective areas, professional and easy going. It felt to me that they were genuinely interested in learning my abilities and what I can offer if I joined the team. Although I went through a lot in 5 hours, it did not make me feel exhausted.

Interview Questions

• Mostly very practical questions that related to their daily work related to data science and scala/spark. As to algorithm, the question was something I never seen exactly before, but the solution was typical dfs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

My overall interview experience with Salesforce was very pleasant. There was one phone screen and one remote programming test. I was called onsite where the interviews lated for 6 hours. Overall there were 7 rounds and mostly focusing on designing and programming skill. After the interview got an offer after 1 day.

They pay decently and seems like a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn for researcher position, and after 1-2 days get a technical phone interview. The phone interview was properly organized by reviewing my background and research work in PhD. I felt that I did well, and quickly get the onsite interview request the same day. The onsite interview was perfectly organized for a researcher position by presenting my research to the whole team and several one-to-one interviews afterward regarding brainstorming and possible area to work on. I felt really well that this would be a perfect place for me.
    I was right and I was notified that there will be an update quickly and I did get the offer.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied through a friend to employee referral. Had 4 rounds: basic object oriented design questions with recruiter, technical phone screen with the hiring manager, remote programming test and finally an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of 4 45 minute sessions (design & testing process; data & sql; object-oriented design; algorithms) with team members and an hour lunch with the hiring manager. Everyone I spoke & met with was very nice - the sessions felt more like technical discussions with colleagues than being grilled over a set of questions. The overall process was slow, but communication was excellent - I always knew what was going on when.

Interview Questions

• Design a set of tables for a particular data set, write queries for returning results & updating.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter contacted within a week later . I had telephonic interview. Interviewer asked about SDLC, and basic question about Big data Technologies(Which I applied) . Later they scheduled 2.5 hrs Remote Programming Test. I was not able to finish the program on time.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Tampa, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

Consisted of 3 interviews: 1. general programming questions 2. Actual Complex Coding 3. Onsite with technical and conceptual question

Took about 1 month but communication was great and the questions were hard but fair

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had 2 rounds of phone interview with this company. A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and the process started. The first round was a list of java questions asked by a recruiter. I found that a bit strange as she could not quite catch my answers and was typing it verbatim. I had a 2nd round of phone screen with the hiring manager. It was a pleasant experience. I liked the way some questions were targeted around situations and behaviors like how did you resolve a difficult problem etc. There was one algorithmic question for which I had to answer over phone. Collab Edit would have been more effective as they can see what ure typing. But this was over phone you had to explain the algorithm. Next I had a Remote Programming Test. The interviewer was on a got-to meeting. She gave me a zip file that had the problem statement. The write up was about 2 pages long with inputs, conditions and expected output etc. She dint go over the problem with me. She said, go through it and ask me if you have questions. Your time starts now, I will need your code in exactly 2 hrs. It took me a while to understand the problem, the conditions and figure an algorithm. The question was about building an installer that had components dependent on one another. You cant install a component unless its dependents are installed. Likewise you cant remove a component, if there is another component dependent on it. The problem wasn't hard but certainly it was challenging to produce clean code in the given time. I started the algorithm and debugged my APIs as and when I built. I ran out of time to hook up with the given input etc. I couldn't finish it , couldn't comment my code well or review the APIs etc. I was not selected for the next round. I dint get a proper feedback from them either....except that my code doesn't match their job role.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult in terms of the interview questions as such. The rpt test could have been better where the interviewer ran over the problem first with me and then started the clock. I lost time in understanding the question myself. A 10-20 extra minutes would have helped me produce cleaner code. In fact, I spent an extra hour after the interview and completed it incl testing with the given inputs and conditions.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in February 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a Salesforce employee, spoke with a recruiter in a few days. A day later I received both an email and a call from a R&D technical recruiter and was invited to a tech meet up where I met with hiring managers. I took the 2 hour remote programming test and was scheduled for my on site the following week. The recruiter got back to me a day later. Very efficient!

Interview Questions

• standard computer science and data structure questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in September 2015.

Interview

First, I emailed with a recruiter who I'd been referred to. We talked about potential positions then she arranged for me to talk with one of the hiring managers. Although I was told I'd be able to talk with other managers about other teams, that never ended up happening. I felt like I was funneled down to this particular team right away.

After talking with the manager about the team, he arranged a coding interview screen over the phone. The screen involved getting the problem then working on it for 2 hours on my own before sending it off to the interviewer.

I was then brought on site for 5 45 minute interviews. Several were done using Google hangouts since the team is split across Seattle and San Francisco which seems pretty common there.

I received a verbal offer from the recruiter the next day.

Interview Questions

• Coding screen question was to write a command line program for managing component dependencies.   Answer Question

I was looking for somewhere less corporate and smaller. Employees talked more about how it's a great company and less about having interesting and challenging work.