Salesforce Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Salesforce Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Burlington, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Pretty standard interview, phone screen with recruiter, google hangout with hiring manager (he was traveling otherwise would of been in house), in house interview with 5 people. The process was great, completely transparent when I asked about benefits the recruiter sent a link to all of the benefits which are out in the open for anyone to see.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions where hands on white board design questions. They are more interested in how you think and how you approached a problem and solved it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initially it was brief call with recruiter and she referred me to other teams.One team was interested in interviewing me .I had phone call interview with Director , then 2.5 hours Remote test and then onsite of 4 rounds.Each round had 2 people and finally I had call with VP of Engineering before they made me offer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter inviting me to apply for the position. Had 1 phone interview of 90 minutes with the hiring manager and two engineers where I was ask behavioral questions and write code online. Two weeks after I was invited onsite and had a 5 round interview (Technical / Behavioral) and lunch with hiring manager.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through a referral, and a recruiter got in touch with me to set up a phone call with him. He briefly described the position, asked me some career questions, and then asked when a good time to schedule a technical phone screen would be.

Phone screen was standard -- easy-to-understand problem statement, code a solution using a collaborative editing session. Problem was easy/medium difficulty. I got the sense that the solution wasn't as important as my rationale, demeanor and questions I asked. Phone screener was very nice, knowledgable, prompt, and patient with the many questions I had for him about the job.

Next step was a remote programming test. I demurred a little, because I hate take-home tests on principle (of coding for free, with typically a vague problem statement that could take anywhere from 2-10 hours). However, I was alright with this one because it had a strict two hour limit. A different phone screener sent me the problem, then called me to answer any questions I had. He then said he'd call back in 2 hours and ask for my solution. The problem was fun to work on, and I think very appropriate for a two hour window. I liked the timebox because it forced me to work in priority order -- first get it working, then refactor, then try to clean up the code.

After the remote test was over, they wanted to fly me to the office. Recruiter was very helpful taking care of all the details, and prepping me on what to expect. At the office, I had five interviews with six different people and a lunch (which I see as a personal interview). Questions all involved some form of whiteboard coding, as well as open-ended design questions. Some questions were quite difficult, and I know I didn't answer them 100% correct. Again, I think solving the problem was of 2nd importance, behind demeanor and communication.

Recruiter followed up after about a week and a half to extend an offer, and I said yes after some negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Call with recruiter then 45 min call with architect. 2.5 hrs rpt
    Then i was invited for onsite.
    5 rounds with 1 hour lunch.

They haven't booked meeting rooms. Was searching around for meeting rooms.
    The interviewer don't tell us upfront how many coding questions they are going to ask etc
    Only one of them told me that he is going to ask me 2 coding question one easy and other one hard.
    for the last round of interview, the interviewer was remote.
    Very hard for her to explain me her question and hard to show my thought process.
    Was standing whole day in front of whiteboard holding marker.

All rounds went well except last one.

Interview Questions

• All datastructures and algorithms ques.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

Began with a phone interview with a Salesforce recruiter to determine basic background and interest. That was followed a few days later with a technical interview with the hiring manager, which went into more detail regarding technical background and skillset. Finally, an onsite interview with the product manager, other team members, and hiring manager again, along with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Perform whiteboard code for basic algorithm problems (Fibonacci sequence, palindrome checker, etc)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I was referred, and hiring agent contacted me with bare-bones emails, not much of a hint about preparation except for "look our product and check interviewer profile in LinkedIn". CAREFUL, if you are referred, seems like they skip introductory interview and go directly to technical. Or was it just my interviewer? After all he did not reveal much of a consistency in other aspects. Introduced himself, said it'll be 45min, asked about my experience, but tend to skip unfamiliar technologies, back to alertness when I mention Oracle and than... ADVICE: never take phone interview on the street or just stepping out from your office. Plan in advance to have quiet room, enough time and to be undisturbed. The guy asked me simple question about tree vs HashTable. I've explained how HashTable works (buckets, than traversing), mentioned O(lg n) for tree and blurted out O(n) for HashTable. The interview stops right there. I mean seriously, I've been in engineering 15+ years, you ca guess from resume about number of passed interviews, do you really think you have to ask this?? I must say he was polite enough to ask me if I have questions. That's good because I've figured out I won't regret missing this opportunity: 1) he wasn't positive on Macs for developers; 2) they tend to use Eclipse as IDE because "they have plugins"; 3) they are "not using nosql database because Oracle gives them logging, stats, etc" (and this is for product which deals with unstructured data (CRM)!!!). Which tells me they are rather "sandbox" shop in terms of technologies, i.e. rather use what they know vs reaching out and invest in research. Too bad for engineers.

Interview Questions

• Q: Explain Encupsulation
      Q: Inheritance vs composition
      Q: What's the difference between tree and HashTable :))
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

This was a long interview process. 5 weeks from start date to onsite. Started with typical phone interview, recruiter said don't need a computer but good thing I had my computer with me because the first thing the guy asks me involves coding up a solution for a binary tree problem. He kind of expected me to know what the problem statement was and didn't even go through proper introductions. Also asks me to create classes for file system API.

Next up a remote programming test which involved coding up a working solution to a full problem including input parsing from file and writing unit tests within 90 minutes. Recruiter kind of kept me hanging for a week after the test with no email and finally said I was selected for on-site interview.

For the on-site they put me in a shady hotel, I couldn't sleep in the night because there were loud construction going on next door. Included 4 interviewers(including last minute change to a video conference for one of them). First interviewer asked me to code up on the whiteboard typical data structure and algorithm problems(hint: involves queues) and questions involving multi-threading. I had a really good time interacting with this person and towards the end we were talking about problems that we come across in real life work. Next up the hiring manager lunch interview, same guy who did my phone and reviewed my RPT. We had a really good lunch convo going over my interests and what he was trying to build, I couldn't really eat much so we headed back to the interview area and since we had extra 15 minutes he decides to throw a dynamic programming problem at me, again expecting me to already be familiar with problem statement. I couldn't get to the solution since I hadn't done DP before and he moved on to thread problems which I was able to answer. Next up was coding a solution for a design problem which I was able to answer to my satisfaction. The interviewer was very helpful and made no assumptions about the problem area and gave me good set of requirements to work with. The first three interviews was the most coding I had done on a whiteboard in a single day. Next up was a remote interviewer who threw me a complex network planning problem with the disclaimer that it was a open ended problem and was looking at my thought process. I wasn't satisfied with my responses, next he started grilling me on distributed systems questions (distributed file store), how do I create it, maintain it, keep it highly available so on. I was satisfied with my overall responses.

After this it was back home in an overnight flight that made the next day at work pretty hard. I followed up with the recruiter today(she said they would know the same day or morning after) and she said there were 2 candidates being considered and they chose to offer the position to the other candidate. Kind of a bummer but oh well.

I feel the recruiter could have been more responsive and better on-site experience please?

Interview Questions

• Threads, algos and ds, design problem, distributed systems. Lot of white board coding, they don't care about syntax just correctness.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

People and managers are very nice and helpful.
    Applied for two teams, had two phone screens , one remote programming interview and onsite to head quarter for 7 rounds of face to face/group interviews.

Interview Questions

• Some array question and some data structure/algorithm and design questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Talked to the hiring manager and was asked to do the two hours RPT. After the recruiter got back to me and asked to come for on-site with all team members (5). The on-site went well except for one the sessions that I could not understand a non-native team member's accent well and made a dumb mistake on the first question, resulting in him questioning my skills. Followed up with the recruiter after two days and she conveyed the message.

Interview Questions

• Java, SQL, data structure, and algorithms questions   1 Answer