Salesforce Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Salesforce Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview and onsite.Questions are related with data structure and algorithms, also asked questions about projects and experience on resume. The process is really nice, and interviewer is kind...
Still need to be prepared, especially the algorithm questions....

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

I applied online and also recieved an employee referral. I was contacted by a recruiter and I was told about the different areas that Salesforce was working on, as well as their interview process. After a few days they contacted me for a phone interview. Nothing too difficult, but there were brain teasers involved.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

The recruiting process was fairly straight forward. I submitted my resume along with my application to their careers portal. I am a university student in my third year.

I received an email from the recruiter about 3 weeks later asking for a phone call. This first phone call was to get to know me better, identify my strengths and weaknesses, and to see whether I would be a good fit for the company. This is important because if you are looking for work in a certain area and the company doesn't have work in that area, then they'll just end the recruiting process here. It's also to see which teams you would make a good for. From here I got an email that I had made it to the first interview.

The first interview was a phone interview with an engineer. 1hour in length. Average data structures and algs questions. If you've done acm competitive programming, these would be like the questions towards the beginning of the packet. No dynamic programming questions. I got an email that I had made it through to the next steps.

The second and third interviews were supposed to be onsite. Salesforce had a hiring day where they flew out all candidates and interviewed them. I couldn't make it so they set up video chat interviews for me. I had two 1-hour long interviews with two engineers. The second interview was more involved than the first. He asked a dp problem but he just wanted to you to explain the dp solution, not actually code it since it was rather long. He asked about building certain data structures using others. Asked a couple of easy os questions. Really focused on alg complexities and java specific implementation. The third interviewer asked me some behavioral questions. Asked more networking related questions since I was interviewing with the Infrastructure team. Asked more tricky questions that weren't difficult to code up but just required knowing some tiny detail to unlock the answer. I received an email that I made it past this stage that same day.

The next day my recruiter called and said they were glad to make me an offer. Housing was included and the salary was very competitive for an intern. I was pleased with the offer and accepted. I don't think they have any wiggle room with the offers, you either take it or you don't. You also get placed on a team and you can't really change that later on. Everything is final, take as is.

The entire process took about 3 1/2 months, granted it was during xmas/new years so that factored in too. Recruiter was very speedy and professional. Interviewers were on time for interviews and they ended them on time too. Overall this should be the standard for how a company interviews for Software Engineering Interns.

Negotiation

There isn't a negotiation phase. You either take it or leave it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

I was referred by my friend for summer internship. It took less than 1 week to process and arrange an phone interview. It started from talking about my resume and experience, and followed by algorithm test. But I haven't got any response for around 2 weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2017.

Interview

It all started with multiple conversations with the HR recruiter about different teams and roles across couple weeks. The recruiter was very knowledgeable about what different teams are working on along with technical skill the team needs at the moment. I was phone screened and then called for an interview on site. A team of four people interviewed me for my technical as well as behavioral skills. I was asked about how I responded to work challenges under different circumstances. I was asked various kinds of technical questions on algorithms, hashing, etc. but not limited to computer science. I did a whiteboard test as well. Everyone on the team was very knowledgeable about their domain. I learned new things other than answering what I knew at the moment. Overall, I enjoyed being interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview Questions

• What is MD5?, Is hashing reversible?, What are some ways to avoid collisions faced with hashing?, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (New York, NY).

Interview

Connected to Salesforce through my university, along with a handful of other students. I went through four interviews which, from hearing stories of friends who have had internships with the company and other students who were in the process of interviewing, is a little unusual. The reason I went through so many interviews is because the team I was originally interviewing for had already filled their intern spot, so I continued interviewing for the same cloud (Sales Cloud) but with a different team.

First interview was an onsite interview, where the first half was behavioral, asking me what my interests are, and the second half was relatively technical (though not much), asking me to rate my proficiency in Java, to design a plan for creating a Snapchat-like application.

Second and third interview were online technicals that lasted about 45 minutes, conducted on an online coding environment. The fourth (and last) interview was a Google Hangout with two engineers that was briefly behavioral and mostly technical, where I was asked to talk through my solution rather than actually coding it.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a team of seven to build a Snapchat-like application?   1 Answer
    • Given two arrays, create a new, shuffled array containing all elements from both arrays.   Answer Question
    • Given a sorted array, where each element but one occurs only once, return the element that repeats. (For example, given 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, return 3. Given 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 6, 7, 8, 9, return 6.)   6 Answers
    • Create a data structure that runs in constant time when inserting, removing, searching, and return a random element.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Indianapolis, IN) in January 2017.

Interview

The hiring process is pretty smooth and fast, Hr sets you up with all required information, planning is quite impressive. Interviewers like when you explain answers with examples. Some quuestions are based on you knowledge of technology and many questions are based on testing your approach towards problems.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was asked to complete a programming exercise on my own time and upload to github, which was then reviewed. Then I was brought in for an interview. I was greeted by the recruiter and given a quick tour of the office. The interview was broken into four, one hour sessions with pairs of employees, consisting of a mix of engineers and management. Everything was smooth and timely. Interviewers tended to ask similar questions each session. I was asked about my experience, languages and databases I've used, and asked to complete a few whiteboard exercises. The whiteboard exercises were mostly solvable with basic concepts like recursion, but were complex in that there were different logical subparts of the problem. Don't be afraid to ask for some help if you can't figure out the patterns.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had conflict with a coworker. How did you go about resolving that conflict?   Answer Question
    • What's the most common positive feedback and most common area for improvement you receive on performance reviews?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiters were more than accommodating and helpful. They were very friendly and responding within 24 hours. As for the interviews themselves. I had one phone interview and one Google Hangouts Interview. The phone interview was with the hiring manager which wanted to acquire a sense of my personality. The video interview had 2 technical questions that weren't difficult. The whole experience was smooth and fun.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in January 2017.

Interview

Had two intervals, both were phone calls. First call was behavioral with the engineering manager and second call was technical with an engineer in the team that I was interviewing for. Both interviewers were very friendly and nice. I talked about my background and did a few simple technical problems. The interviewers were actually interested in my background, so we had an actual conversation instead of the typical "solving this problems for me".