Sam Ash Music Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sam Ash Music Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2017

2.0

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I filled out my application online and within the week I received an email inviting me to the store for a group interview. The hiring managers invited us into the employee break room where we continued to be interviewed as a small group (3). Were given short quizzes in order to test our knowledge in our desired department and then were asked a simple question to conclude the interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a bad sales experience? What would you have done differently?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

First applied online, real quick I got an email response with another online questionnaire, a couple of days after that an email to schedule an appointment with the sales manager in 5 days, and after that another interview with the general manager in another 5 days. It turned out well, pretty straight forward about it, if you evidence enough knowledge, disposition and understanding that it is a job with minimum salary plus commissions, you'll be fine.

Drum Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Absolutely embarrassing. Came into interview early, at 1PM as discussed through email. Told front desk that I was here to see manager, which front desk person let manager know I was there. From then on. Nothing. They ignored my presence. I walked around the store, after standing near the front as to make sure they knew I was there, and pretended to be an interested customer. I was not even approached by any sales personnel, greeted, or even acknowledged. Pathetic. If this is how you run a company, then count me out. The so called "customer service" of this store is non-existent. After an hour of waiting, I left. Do yourselves a favor and forget this company exists.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music.

Interview

They needed bodies. The turn over is incredibly high. Associates are hired part time and are given 12 weeks to prove their worth. After that, they are written up for failure to perform and asked to resign so that unemployment benefits do not need to be paid.

Music Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music (San Diego, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

It was cool. Andrew was legit, but if I would have know how crappy the pay was, I would have never applied. What a waste of time!! I make more money jamming out on a corner, without having to deal with bum musicians.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been teaching.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Instrument Repairer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

He basically just asked me what I knew and had me go into the shop to show the other techs what I know. He really didn't want to be a part of the interviewing process, he just wanted someone hired quickly to get the job done.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have repairing instruments?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music (Buffalo Grove, IL).

Interview

Picked up paper application and dropped off same day. Received a call back in less than 1 week for an interview. Received job offer a few days after interview. Interview was sitting in a back room with the sales manager for about 20 minutes while he asks questions. Nothing hard or unexpected.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with music, have you done any sales before, etc... basic stuff.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be aware, you will make hourly minimum wage and have to earn your bi-weekly minimum wage in commission before it starts to build up your paycheck. That means you have to earn your whole paycheck in commission before you see any extra. Very hard to do unless you work in the sheetmusic/band instruments side of the store

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

- Called
    - Invited for interview with studio manager
    - invited for meeting and interview with store manager
    -Discussion, no real "questions".
    - It was more me interviewing them. It does not pay much and they need good very qualified reputable instructors so the ball is pretty much in your court. However, the corporate policy regarding pay and so forth is what it is.Not nearly what a professional stand alone music school would pay.

Negotiation

easy no issues

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty quick and easy. I was asked about my musical background and sales experience. From there, I was hired on but originally worked at the front door as a greeter.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sam Ash Music (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

After submitting the application, you are sent a very brief personality test. It asks you to check boxes of qualities you see yourself possessing, and then shows the same qualities asking what you think Sam Ash is looking for. It's pretty simple to know they are looking for "self motivated" and not "lazy."

I called immediately after submitting my assessment to follow up and scheduled an interview for the next day. They do move quickly with these hirings. One 15 min interview later I had the job and started 2 days after that.

Interview Questions

• How do you approach individual customer service, from cultivating the lead to following up on the sale?   Answer Question