Sam's Club Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sam's Club Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Fresno, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I submitted an online application and came into the store with a resume in November. I was told they don't accept Resumes in-store. I called later that week to speak with a manager and was told it would do no good. I called back several times over the month of December and was finally told they weren't hiring until January, though I was eventually called back on December. The call went to my voicemail and I called back within 30 minutes. When I called back and they said they were getting the hiring manager, I was put on hold for 45 minutes, then hung up, another 30 minutes on hold, hung up, another 30 minutes on hold. Called back the next day and same thing. Decided to just go into the store in person and ask for the hiring manager. I went to the counter and they had me go speak to her in the restricted area in the back of the store. She told me I never tried calling her back and I told her that her staff was incompetent and I called back right away and explained how long I was put on hold. She said ok, and told me she'll consider that my first interview, and to come in next Monday for the second. I came in 30 minutes early and awaited my interview at the food tables where I was told to wait. an hour later, she's still ignoring me. I walk up to her and she immediately tells me there's been a delay in my interview because they were so busy. Maybe three checkstands were open. She told me it would be another hour and a half, and to wait until then. I went shopping for that time, mostly just walking around. When the time came, we sat at the table and she immediately told me that even though I have cashiering experience that this job is completely different. She said it was primarily a sales position, even though in none of my shopping trips a single cashier has ever tried selling me anything. I looked around and all of her employees are wearing dirty, untucked shirts and mismatched clothing like they just rolled out of bed, and she's asking me why I feel I qualify as I'm wearing business attire and polished shoes. After this, and the stupid pen spiel, we go meet the store manager and she likes me, so I go upstairs and they hand me a paper to take a drug test. They tell me because it's so late, I have less than an hour to get to the facility on the other side of town or I will fail, as the test must be taken today. I ask when I can expect to hear from them, they tell me when the drug test is completed. I ask when that might be, they tell me not to worry about it and to just go take the test. I go to the place, with is a drug rehab clinic of some sort, and go through a large assortment of very particular tasks to take a simple urinary drug test. I head home, wait a week, and call, since I sill hadn't heard back from anyone. I was told I need to be patient and stop bothering them, and that the results would come when they come. At my last retail job, the drug test was done in-house via a cheek swab and took five minutes. It's been over a month now and I've yet to hear back from anyone. I've never done drugs, so I know I didn't fail the test. Honestly, after I've seen how the store is ran, and how they select their applicants, I would never want to work for this place.

Interview Questions

• To sell them a pen, even though it's a cashier position and I've never once been sold anything by their cashiers.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Sam's Club

Anonymous Employee in Hermantown, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Hermantown, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

Extremely laid back, couldn't of gone any better. Very nice interviewer, the questions he asked were pretty simple and easy to answer. He immediately offered me a job after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one thing that you have done in a past job that required you to go above and beyond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Evansville, IN).

Interview

They needed help at the time. Pretty standard interview. Was asked about my prior work experience, and asked several questions about how I would respond to certain scenarios of questionable ethics.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which a coworker was stealing from company/breaking law etc?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sam's Club.

Interview

I did the application online. Took about a month to call me They make u wait in the cafe for 10 min than interview in the cafe for 10 min,. Came back a couple days later for orientation they walk u around the store show u around they make u watch a movie after that they make you take test on the computer n u can't start till u pass them all and took me bout 3 days to finish my Cbls that's Wat they call it

Interview Questions

• Lots of Tell me about a time .....   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sam's Club (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online and it took them a week to call me for an interview. HR manager had me wait in the break room until one of the managers came in to give me an interview. She arrived and had me do the interview in the conference room. All I had to do is make sure the info on my application is correct and she asked me three questions. I made sure that my answers weren't short. After that, I was sent to speak with HR manager, she explained the position to me and I accepted. I did my background check and drug test the next morning and one day later I was called in for orientation. Overall, this was an easy experience for me and both managers were very nice.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Sam's Club and name a time you had to handle a difficult situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Carol Stream, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Carol Stream, IL).

Interview

Overall the interview process was fast and simple. First you get interviewed by a supervisor a manger and finally the store manager. The store manager calls your references and if they check out you got the job. Don't forget they'll ask if you can sell the plus memberships which is an extra $45 dollars from the basic membership. The answer you should give is yes you can sell it.

Interview Questions

• Can you sell plus memberships   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Morgantown, WV) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online on a weekend. Got a call Monday afternoon to set up an interview. Got there early and was told to sit in the cafe area. The store wasn't very busy so we just decided to have the interview there. It was very informal. Just talked about my past jobs and if i could lift 50 lbs. No difficult questions were asked. No situational questions. After the interview i was given a form and told i had 24 hrs to complete a drug test. Did it the next morning and the rest was history.

Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Fountain Valley, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online to several locations. I have a couple of them call me back. I met with a manager of one of the stores. He explained the cashier position and he used the opportunity to tell me that the position he had called me about was for part time. I said OK. Then, the most important part came out = the pay. He said the pay was going to be $10.50. For me, this was a deal breaker. I told him I couldn't do it for this low minimum wage when the job was demanding during the Christmas holidays. He said for 6 months I'd have to stay in the position before I could apply for full time. I declined the offer right then and there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sam's Club (North Canton, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

I was actually really unimpressed by my interview. I think I waited longer for the manager than the actual interview took. She really did not seem all that invested or interested, she was supposed to ask me (only) 3 questions and only asked 2 because the last was "silly". I was offered the job on the spot without even learning what position it was they were offering or any job description (because I marked several areas of interest on my application). She didn't know the wage either or how many hours/week. I asked if it was ok if I went home to talk about it with my husband before I accepted, she said yes but that I needed to call by 7 that evening. Way too rushed.

The whole thing just seemed like they were desperate for help, and I definitely got the impression that as long as you weren't completely socially inept they would take anyone. If they are this uninvested in their interview process I wonder what it's like being an actual employee. I turned the job down.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where a customer was upset and how you solved the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Tampa, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and called a few days later, on a Thursday. HR asked me about my availability and loosely my experience. The computer system was down (there was a storm) so she told me to call back on Monday. I called Monday shortly after they opened and they scheduled me an interview at noon. I talked to a front end supervisor and she also brought in a member services worker. They were friendly and really wanted to make sure I was comfortable selling credit cards and memberships while I checked members out and also that I could lift up to 50 pounds sometimes. Be friendly, be someone they want on their team!
    I left after the interview because the manager wasn't there. But they called me 20 minutes later with a job offer. I did my drug test that day and am waiting for the clean results!