Sam's Club Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.9

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Wheeling, IL).

Interview

In the same day, in-person interview with HR, then with the front end team lead, and then with the front end assistant manager. Asked questions to get a feel for who I was and my prior experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were presented with a challenge and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bentonville, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Bentonville, AR) in March 2017.

Interview

Lack of consistency and adherence to company policy observed in interviews for multiple Associate Buyer roles. Use of interview packet seems to be optional, it is not. Observed closing and reopening of positions until the "chosen one" was in the pool.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you supervised a difficult associate/manager.   1 Answer

Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sam's Club in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online. I passed leadership assessment. I received a call 2 weeks later. I missed the call and had to try on 4 separate occasions to call back over the next few days. I was put on hold a total 15 minutes over the span of those 4 calls before I got a manager to schedule a interview.

I showed up to the interview and the hiring manager didn't even know I was coming in. And the only positions they had available were cashier and cart attendant.

I know for a fact that I ONLY applied for leadership/ management positions. Terrible experience.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in being a cashier or a loader?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Fresno, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I submitted an online application and came into the store with a resume in November. I was told they don't accept Resumes in-store. I called later that week to speak with a manager and was told it would do no good. I called back several times over the month of December and was finally told they weren't hiring until January, though I was eventually called back on December. The call went to my voicemail and I called back within 30 minutes. When I called back and they said they were getting the hiring manager, I was put on hold for 45 minutes, then hung up, another 30 minutes on hold, hung up, another 30 minutes on hold. Called back the next day and same thing. Decided to just go into the store in person and ask for the hiring manager. I went to the counter and they had me go speak to her in the restricted area in the back of the store. She told me I never tried calling her back and I told her that her staff was incompetent and I called back right away and explained how long I was put on hold. She said ok, and told me she'll consider that my first interview, and to come in next Monday for the second. I came in 30 minutes early and awaited my interview at the food tables where I was told to wait. an hour later, she's still ignoring me. I walk up to her and she immediately tells me there's been a delay in my interview because they were so busy. Maybe three checkstands were open. She told me it would be another hour and a half, and to wait until then. I went shopping for that time, mostly just walking around. When the time came, we sat at the table and she immediately told me that even though I have cashiering experience that this job is completely different. She said it was primarily a sales position, even though in none of my shopping trips a single cashier has ever tried selling me anything. I looked around and all of her employees are wearing dirty, untucked shirts and mismatched clothing like they just rolled out of bed, and she's asking me why I feel I qualify as I'm wearing business attire and polished shoes. After this, and the stupid pen spiel, we go meet the store manager and she likes me, so I go upstairs and they hand me a paper to take a drug test. They tell me because it's so late, I have less than an hour to get to the facility on the other side of town or I will fail, as the test must be taken today. I ask when I can expect to hear from them, they tell me when the drug test is completed. I ask when that might be, they tell me not to worry about it and to just go take the test. I go to the place, with is a drug rehab clinic of some sort, and go through a large assortment of very particular tasks to take a simple urinary drug test. I head home, wait a week, and call, since I sill hadn't heard back from anyone. I was told I need to be patient and stop bothering them, and that the results would come when they come. At my last retail job, the drug test was done in-house via a cheek swab and took five minutes. It's been over a month now and I've yet to hear back from anyone. I've never done drugs, so I know I didn't fail the test. Honestly, after I've seen how the store is ran, and how they select their applicants, I would never want to work for this place.

Interview Questions

• To sell them a pen, even though it's a cashier position and I've never once been sold anything by their cashiers.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sam's Club in January 2017.

Interview

They asked too many personal questions and they were very unfriendly. They also seemed in a big hurry to get the other applicants in and just didn't take their time. I felt they don't care much on who they hire. They are not consistent on the questions asked.

Greeter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homewood, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Homewood, AL) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied to Sam's Club, about 1-2 months ago. I got a phone call Friday about doing an interview. While on the phone, the lady asked my availability (even though she was looking at my application while on the phone with me). I told her I was currently working, but was looking for something FULL TIME. She then goes on to say "well we can't even go forward because you don't have open availability". So she then schedules me ANYWAY. Fast forward to the day of the interview, I get there 10 mins early and I still had to wait an extra 15 mins before the interviewer was ready. She didn't even acknowledge me, she had an employee (who was sweeping the floor) tap me on the arm and point at her. She then proceeds to walk at a fast pace, and I damn near had to jog to catch up to her. I introduce myself and she didn't even say anything. We take the stairs up and then she taps me on the shoulder and says "we don't wear our arms out, that's inappropriate". I am looking at her crazy, because my shirt was a professional shirt, it was a sleeveless blouse. So we sit down and yet again, my availability is brought up again EVEN THOUGH I discussed this with the previous lady. So then she says with an attitude "well we don't need someone with a set schedule, and I'm not going to even interview you because it would be wasting my time and yours". I felt disrespected and it honestly was a waste of my time because I actually came prepared for an interview. This is the LAKESHORE SAM'S CLUB (HOMEWOOD, AL). Terrible interviewer!! You can't treat someone who doesn't even work for you like that. I will never shop at that location again. Thanks for reading!

Overnight Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Beavercreek, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied for the job last Friday. Got a call yesterday for an interview. Went in today and it was pretty straight forward. Their system was down so we did the interview in the cafe. He only asked like three questions so it was a pretty easy and casual interview.

They had several people interviewing for the position so I'll find out within the next few days if he wants to hire me on or not.

Interview Questions

• What past work experience have you had?   Answer Question
    • If you had multiple tasks to get done, how would you prioritize what gets done first?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled the problem.   Answer Question

MIT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Little Rock, AR).

Interview

2 interviews, 1st one with the a club manager that was doing all peoples applications that were picked out for a chance of getting position. Then top 3 of 1st intetviewed were interviewed by HR and Market Manager for final approval and pick!

Interview Questions

• STAR System used by 1st interview and was asked about 6-7 STAR questions   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sam's Club in August 2016.

Interview

Generalist called and obtained basic information and shared general requirements and potential pay range and other benefits. Then specialist coordinated phone interview with hiring manager. Hiring manager was 15 minutes late calling, and didn't excuse themselves for being tardy. Additionally it seemed like they had never leafed over my resume. In the the process of answering questions, they talked negatively about other departments prior actions/roles. They never closed the loop.

Interview Questions

• General "tell me about"... None of the questions indicated any knowledge of applicants experience.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sam's Club (Lubbock, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I received a phone call to schedule an interview. We agreed on a specific date and time and that was that. I arrived at the store 10 minutes early for my interview. A worker told me to wait in the cafe area while they go get the manager. I waited for an entire hour until I asked another worker to ask for the manager. That worker told me, again, to wait in the cafe area while they went to go get them. I waited another 30 minutes. Again, I asked an employee for the manager. That employee said the manager was out for the day.

So all I have to say is "Thanks, Sam's Club for wasting 2 hours of my day for no reason!"

Interview Questions

• "Hi, what can I help you with?" (Greeter)   1 Answer
    • "Can I help you?" (Random Employee)   1 Answer
    • "How was your experience at Sam's Club today?" (Greeter as I was walking out the front door)   1 Answer