SamTrans Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

2.8

Public Affairs Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SamTrans (San Carlos, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of two parts: interview and presentation. I was given a topic to cover and given 20 minutes to prepare to give the presentation to a panel of three interviewers. The panelists listened to the presentation and then asked several questions. Once the presentation part was done, the interview lasted 45 minutes. The questions were pretty straightforward and all of the interviewers were friendly and engaging.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a question from a resident in a public forum that you were specifically directed not to answer?   Answer Question

Principal Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SamTrans in April 2016.

Interview

Pretty sure that the interview was skewed to limit the potential candidates needed. At the same time, some of the questions pertained to experience, ethics, and reviewing projects and their deliverables.

Interview Questions

• Do you apply honesty and ethics in communicating your program details (with management and outside stakeholders)   Answer Question

Principal Or Senior Transit Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at SamTrans (San Mateo, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

A board of three interviewed me. Only one member of the interview board was from Sam Trans and the others were from CalTrans and (I believe) San Mateo County. It took about 45 minutes. This was a Skype interview. It was 58 days between the application submission date and the interview and I have not hear back on the result several months later. I only assume that I didn't get the job.

Planning Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at SamTrans in May 2015.

Interview

Standard, 3-person panel in a closed-door session. Lasted 25-30 minutes. Interviewers were very cordial and friendly, was not intimidating at all. Be prepared to show past examples of previous work (e.g. GIS experience), even if not asked directly for it.

Interview Questions

• They're very interested in your background in transportation or city/regional planning, and why you choose to pursue that career choice in the public sector.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SamTrans (San Carlos, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very pleasant. The interviewer was very professional and friendly. No trick questions. Just the typical interview questions. The interviewer thoroughly went over the job descriptions and responsibilities to make sure that you fully understand each responsibilities. Make sure to ask a questions.

Graphics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SamTrans (San Carlos, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of 5 in the department in which I would be working. Each person was prepared with a list of specific questions. They were very warm and friendly, which put me at ease. I felt comfortable despite the unavoidable age difference. I brought a few printed samples of my work which they looked at with interest. They were not yet sure how many other applicants they would be interviewing, and consequently not sure of when I would hear of their decision.