Samsung Austin Semiconductor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.8

Quality and Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

A friend of mine helped me forward my resume to the hiring manager at SAS. I first had a phone interview with the hiring manager, where she asked me about my background and some basic Quality Engineering questions. She then invited me over for an on-site interview.

In the on-site interview, I spoke with two panels. The managerial panel consisted of high ranking managers in the Quality section. They asked detailed questions regarding my previous work and tried to see which position I would be best suited for. Be sure to have good stories and specific examples to recount in case of behavioral questions. The managers were not very responsive to what I was saying, and quite possibly made me screw up half my answers. They made the atmosphere pretty uncomfortable for an interview.

The technical panel consisted of engineers (who would have probably been my colleagues). They asked me questions on my resume. These people were much more responsive and made me feel pretty comfortable.

Overall the interview was decent. It went on for two hours (one hour per panel). The questions they were asking were not exactly tough, but it really made you think very hard on the specifics of whatever you had done previously.

Interview Questions

• Explain a particular example of deviation analysis that you performed. Explain that in as much detail as you can, specifically focusing on what you, as an individual, contributed.   Answer Question

Material Owner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in June 2016.

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter after applying online. Passed the first round and then moved on to the next phone interview with the engineer. The interview was technical and was focused on previous relatable experience with statistical process control and problem solving procedures (8D etc). The interview was very monotonous and was a serious type of interview. Heavily focused on the 'how'.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you found a defect in the disc   1 Answer

CORP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

had three separate interviews within four hours. First was a group interview with four other candidates while the other two were with two engineers and one hr rep., each separate. first was the behavioral portion followed by the technical part.

Interview Questions

• behaviorial - typical questions you'd expect from any industry
      technical - asked specifically about senior design projects or any working on at the time
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

The day the interview was scheduled i went to the fab plant, First was the interview which took about 30 minutes, everyone else said they got easy question. There were 2-3 people interviewing you. Then there was a 45 minute tour around the facility which was quite impressive.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something you have done with your degree outside of school.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (Austin, TX).

Interview

I had a short meeting with an HR rep followed by a panel interview. That didn't go well, to put it mildly. Technical questions were easy and trivial however the personal ones were another story. I'm used to working in a male-dominated field and I'm often the only woman in a meeting room however nothing prepared me for a blatantly rude treatment I faced at Samsung.
    The interviewers asked many inappropriate and borderline discriminatory questions such as whether my husband agreed to move to Austin. The potential manager (an American, mind you) asked how many kids do I have. This left me wondering what kind of job I was interviewed for.
    Also, couple more things. They require you to submit a recent pay stub as a part of an application. I did because my pay is at the top of the grade. They couldn't match it, by the way. They needed to make a hire ASAP however they could only schedule a flight for an on-site interview in 2 weeks because of some silly company policy on advance ticket booking.

HVAC Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I had a 1 hour phone interview where i was asked to go into some detail with something i worked on. Then i was flown to Austin (all expenses paid for) to have an in person interview. I spoke to an HR for about 20 mins about the company and the city, then sat down with 3 senior members of the HVAC engineering team. I was asked again to go into great detail about any technical subject of my choosing, and they gave me a marker and white board to use. They would jump in with questions whenever they had them.

Interview Questions

• Give an explanation of any technical subject that you're familiar with and go into as much detail as you can.   Answer Question

Corp Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor in March 2014.

Interview

First, a phone interview where the recruiter asked me some very basic questions. I was then invited to an onsite interview immediately on the phone. They take you out to dinner and the interview is the following morning. The onsite interview included a panel interview with HR, another panel interview where I presented my senior design project, and a team interview.

Interview Questions

• If there was a more efficient way to do something and your supervisor instructed you to complete the task using a method that is obviously less efficient, how would you handle the situation?   1 Answer

SAS seems to hire a large class of engineers, but manages to have very high turnover rates. They have a reputation for working there incoming engineers long hours and sometimes on odd shifts.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (Austin, TX).

Interview

Group interview. one hour per group. Usually total of two groups. First group usually peer and immediate team leads and engineers, second group upper managers and MTS. Almost no technical questions at all, lots and lots of behavioral questions. Such as tell me a time where a project when wrong and what did you do? and etc How would you contribute to our team? how would you implement and integrate new things? What do you do when you are very stressed.

Interview Questions

Highest turn-over I have seen. People last only few months. Engineers during the interview were stressed and expressed that they are overloaded. From what I gathered, people have no personal life/. work hard but Koreans get all the credits.

Senior Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (Austin, TX) in July 2010.

Interview

Interview style was a "round robin" for an hour. Approxiamately 55 minutes of questions by four people ( 2 supervisors, 1 team leader, 1 dept director)

Interview Questions

• If you were a supervisor (TR), how would you disseminate or motivate your team to perform or complete an impossible task or objective assigned to you by upper management?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Was given the maximum they had for that position.

Senior Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (Austin, TX) in November 2009.

Interview

Tough questions from some of the best engineers in the field. Long interview day, but learning goes both directions. Good energy and fun teams.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with the latest technology, <blah>? (Such as latest C++ language specs, hardware designs, etc)   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was outstanding. No need to negotiate.