Samsung Electronics Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.9

80 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter Bangalore contacted me through a job portal and asked me for my profile. After that he asked me to schedule a phone interview, once I asked for convenient dates, he dint reply for 20 days. After that he called and asked to schedule a face to face interview at San Jose, California . He clearly told that it will be a discussion with HR.

Once I traveled there, he called me(The HR had come from India to USA just take interviews or may he wanted to come to USA so he made up a reason in front of his higher management) and told that he had left a "voice mail" on my phone about the interview time which was much earlier than the time we decided via email few days back. I somehow ran to the Samsung research at Mountainview and made it on time. After I go there, he said the interview is delayed by 30 mins and made me roam around from building to building. Finally, when the interview started, they told me it will be a TECHNICAL interview(for which I was not at all prepared for). It was a 3 panel interview, one guy was not at all interested in the interview, he left after 20 mins. Other guy, the HR, came after 40 mins to the interview. The third guy whom I interviewed with was not aware about which area to focus on so he just started asking questions about what he knows. He was focused on the areas I am not interested in and courses that do not belong to my field of interest. Frankly, he was trying to show off his intelligence than understanding my profile and expertise. At the end, When I asked him about the Harman aquisition, he asked me "Oh, when did that happen?". So you can imagine the type of expertise he had in interviewing candidates.

I literally felt like there was absolutely no management at all. Even a kindergarten kid would have done a better job than these guys. No clear communication, no action plan and no one knew what they were suppose to do. It was the most disgusting experience ever.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Samsung Electronics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a phone interview two weeks after I applied. Phone interview was simple. It includes some basic algorithm concepts and knowledge about python (I told him I am familiar with Python).
        Invited to the on-site interview a few days later and scheduled it one week later. There were five white-board interviews, about one hour each. Four of them were Leetcode questions(medium to hard) or similar. One was just asking some ideas about the technology field.
       Rejected one week after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Merge k sorted linked-list
      2. Search in rotated sorted array
      3. Design LRU system   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics.

Interview

After getting contacted by the vendor, I got scheduled for the interview. It was a panel of 3 people asking on various technologies. The first round was a phone call and the second round was skype call. Interview went great. Lot real time scenarios have been asked.

Interview Questions

• Design and Development of REST API.
      Scaling large scale websites.
      Complex MySql Queries etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics in January 2016.

Interview

Applied at a job fair and heard back about two months later. The interview was for an internship with the GearVR group (Computer Vision and Graphics). The interviewer was very polite and called on-time. Questions weren't to specifically solve a problem or implement an algorithm, but more general questions about Java and C++ such as threading and memory management.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between Java and C++. Describe Java's garbage collection. A bunch of questions about threads   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics.

Interview

Apply online, got call from recruiter, Easy process, easy people to meet, the overall interview process is pretty smooth, met a few team member, manager, they seem pretty nice, get the offer later, would recommend to other applicant

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics.

Interview

At first they ask to give a written test. which is based on aptitude test and coding skills. and number distribution is 50-50. after passing the written examination, they ask to attend the technical viva, which is pretty much based on string related problems, oop concepts etc.Last part is slotted for an HR interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which your work was criticized.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics in May 2014.

Interview

I was taking a phone interview for internship. Asked questions about projects experiences in resume. One question is what is the most successful project you did and what is the most unsuccessful one? and some other questions like why choosing Samsung and Java languages.

Interview Questions

• Ask me details of what project I think is most unsuccessful.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics.

Interview

Applied in the college career fair, it took several weeks to get back to me. There are 2 rounds of phone interview, and coming after that is 1 onsite interview. It's located in south bay area. The interviews are not so difficult. One need to be very familiar with what's listed on the resume. Moreover, some basic programming questions and knowledge questions are also asked. The onsite process is long, so have a good sleep before it comes!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics (Chennai (India)) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview was online and the interviewer asked me to write a program which I have done but the complexity of the program was O(n^2) and he asked me to do it in O(n) which I was not able to. And then he told me to wrap up the interview and I was not able to understand how he is able to judge me by asking only one question. However, I thought okay, no problem and I have asked him about the solution of the problem and I was surprised to hear his it because it was also O(n^2) but since he is an interviewer I can't argue with him.

Interview Questions

• Problem was to create an array from one input array where every element in output array is the next biggest element from that element.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bhopal (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Samsung Electronics (Bhopal (India)) in December 2016.

Interview

Coding Question for Shortlisting:

Given a graph, find out if it can be colored using 2 colors. Different colors for alternate nodes (3 hours) people who passed all 10 test cases were shortlisted.

Note- You can compile your code as many number of times as you want, but a maximum of 5 submissions were allowed to test on the given test cases.

Interview Questions

• Round 1 (Technical around 50 mins):

1. Introduce yourself.
      2. Went through my CV, asked me questions about my Experiences, Projects, Courses (specifically Networks).
      3. Which language are you comfortable with, I said C++.
      4. Wrote a few codes on run-time polymorphism and asked me to write the outputs.
      e.g. virtual destructor, inheritance with virtual keyword.
      5. Asked me what pure virtual classes are?
      6. A few codes on pointers, asked me the outputs.
      e.g. const pointers and pointers to const.
      7. Asked me how I solved the coding round question- I said BFS, didnt ask about it any further.
      8. Asked if I knew Dijkstra’s Algorithm, I said yes, asked if I could write the pseudo code- I wrote it fast, Asked to explain why Dijkstra’s algo fails when -ve weights are there in the graph.
      9. Asked to write my own typedef operator- I used function template to write a generic function.
      10. OOPS-
      Critical Section, Mutex , Semaphores, Paging, Techniques to swap out pages (Least recently used, least frequently used).
      11. Do you have any questions- I asked about ongoing projects, and R&D work.   Answer Question