Samsung Research America Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.6

Product Innovation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Samsung asked me to do a 10-20 slide PowerPoint presentation (for FREE).

They told me to "leverage whatever data you have at your disposal to support your argument." I spent two weeks on the deck only for them to tell me it was a "data dump."

Samsung claims to be an innovative company, yet they ask candidates to do work for free. Scandalous! I regret not telling this company my true feelings. No other company has asked me to do "homework" during the interview process except Samsung.

Interview Questions

• Question 1: If you were to develop a category called “Smart Home Appliances” from scratch, how would you define “smart” appliances and what types of concepts come to your mind (at the platform level?)

Question 2: The refrigerator is traditionally not thought of as a technology product but as a key appliance used by the entire household, it occupies a central role in the kitchen. Are there opportunities for the refrigerator to become a technology appliance as well as a home appliance? What consumer benefits/scenarios should we support and what technologies (hardware and/or software) are needed to enable this to happen?

Question 3: One of the most polarizing “innovations” to cooking has been the microwave oven. Despite widespread adoption, many professionals despise them. Present your point-of-view on the impact the microwave oven has had on modern cooking and then introduce a lifestyle trend that could influence the evolution of the microwave. Then present your idea for the microwave, evolved.

Question 4: Samsung currently manufactures large scale appliances. Do you think there is an opportunity for Samsung to play in the small appliance space? If so, what do you see as the market and product opportunity?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

four tech rounds and one round talking with hr. SRA is more like Korean company. Everything is serious, clean and well organized. One interviewer is not so good, the others are pretty good. HR is kind.

Interview Questions

• Permutation of one array ang many basic java knowledge.   Answer Question

Software Development Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had applied online.I had a brief call with a recruiter where in she told me to give a codility test.The codility test had 2 programming questions.I got a reject after a week.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

1. Applied through LinkedIn, was contacted by HR
    2. Phone interview with a team of 3 or 4 people, questions were focused on my background research and skills listed on my resume, my LinkedIn and my home page.
    3. Passed the phone interview and went onsite. Unlike all other major companies I had interviewed with, this interview started around noon with a lunch. After that, I had to present my work for about an hour. After that, I had 4 or 5 sessions of interview sessions talking with groups of people working in the same team.
    4. Got no feedback, heard nothing back from them which is very unprofessional and sad IMHO. After reading reviews here, I now know that's either that's their style of doing things or too busy taking care of Galaxy Note, Washing machines, etc malfunction.

Fun fact: during one of the group interviews, one of the engineers mentioned that: "... reviews on review websites do not reflect how OUR TEAM works... don't trust them and yada yada".

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were focused on my resume.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I think companies forget that their recruitment staff is the "face" of the company for candidates. That means that in this current environment for the fight for talent, companies should also be putting their best foot forward to impress potential candidates (as well as the candidates themselves). It speaks volumes when the recruitment staff has no common professional courtesy to let candidates know their interview status in a timely manner. If they treat you like this in the courtship, how do they treat you once you're an employee? After reading the reviews from current employees, not hearing back from the recruiter seems to be a godsend. Definitely the worst recruitment experience of my current interview slate.

Interview Questions

• First interview is a generic phone interview screen before moving onto onsite.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied this position in April. The HR team is very professional, patient and fast in the entire interview process.

HR contacted me about one week after I submitted my application, and asked me about my background, basic behavioral questions, and compensation expectation.

One week after the talk with HR, I had the phone interview with the Hiring Manager. No any behavioral question, all questions are focusing on the design, coding and previous projects I did. It took about 70 min.

One week after the phone interview, I was asked to take a coding assessment online. 70 min for 2 puzzles. I feel like one is medium level, and one is hard level.

One week after the coding assessment, I got the chance to take the on-site interview. HR team scheduled the on-site, booked the flight, rental car and nice hotel.

On-site interview: 6 people in 7 hours. Lunch with one of the employees. Most people asked questions related to their daily works. Thus, if your background is a great match to the job description, then you get a great chance to get the job, but you definitely need to carefully prepare and know EVERYTHING mentioned on your resume. On-site white board coding questions are easier than the round-3 online coding assessment.

Two weeks after the on-site, you should be able to get the result.

Interview Questions

• Round 1: behavioral questions with HR
      Round 2: phone interview with hiring manager. 70 min technical interview.
      Round 3: online coding assessment, 70 min 2 puzzles.
      Round 4: on-site, 6 people in 7 hours. Technical interviews. White board coding assessments.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with an introductory email from the Talent Acquisition team briefing about the position and whether I would be interested. Samsung is one of my dream companies and I replied back with my resume and the required details.

This was followed by a programming challenge test at Codility. The test consisted of 2 simple coding problems which can done on choice of your programming language. I signed an NDA and I cannot disclose the actual programming questions.

After a week, I was contacted by the recruiter informing that I have cleared the codility test and would like to schedule a technical telephonic interview with the hiring manager. The recruiter was super helpful, answered my questions and was very professional and responsive in each step of the interview process.

The telephonic interview with the hiring manager was more focussed on the prior projects, domain knowledge and basic test of programming skills which went for almost an hour. Within 4 hours, I received an invite from the recruiter for the in-person interview at Mountain View Campus. The travel arrangements, accommodation and other expenses were completely taken care and was really well planned being the fact that I travelled from east coast to west coast.

At onsite interview, Initially I was briefed about the interview process which would consist of 4 technical rounds and a lunch interview with the hiring manager. The main focus on all the rounds was on prior work experience, programming and design skills. The most important thing they were evaluating was the thought process and the programming problems had to be solved on the whiteboard. The interviewers were technically smart, collaborative and understanding. Each interviewer provided me oppurtunity to ask questions at the end of the interview.

After a week I received a call from the recruiter saying that I cleared the interview and would like to proceed with the offer. Overall it was a pretty good interview process and I really enjoyed it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. One phone IV with team lead, then onsite in Bay Area. There were five interviews. All asked mostly questions about my work, and some basic programming questions. All grilled me on register allocation. If you work in a specialized field, don't expect to be treated like a new grad. Research the subject matter outside of your bubble at work and things will go more smoothly. Make sure you can generalize without referring to your team's specific data structures.

Interview Questions

• You have a dump of last 48 kb of instruction memory (not necessarily instruction-aligned, but ends at the last instruction). 16b instructions start with 0, 32b instructions start with 1. How to decode this?   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Contacted by an external recruiter about the position right before leaving for a one month vacation. Informed recruiter that I would be unable to interview prior to my vacation. The recruiter informed me that was OK and I can interview for the position when I return from my vacation.

Fast forward one month and sure enough they brought me in for an interview. I was a bit surprised that they waited for me, but the recruiter assured me that they were very interested in me and would interview me when I was back in town.

Had onsite interview with the Director of the department and two other managers who would be my peers. Interview went well as stated by my recruiter. I was asked to fill out a job application and return for a follow-up interview with the Director of the department. Interview went well. I described to him some new, best practice processes that I wanted to implement there. He was very receptive and there was much positive back and forth dialog. The Director asked me when I can start working there. I indicated three weeks to allow my current employer time to transition to a new replacement, but that I could start earlier if need be. He assured me that three weeks would not be a problem. I gave him my application at the end of the interview and the interview was over. I walked out of that interview thinking I had secured that position.

After this, I never heard back from either Samsung or the recruiter. I attempted to contact the recruiter many times and she never responded. Not cool at all. During the entire process the recruiter kept assuring me that Samsung was very interested in me and the interview sort of confirmed that. The whole process took two months from the time of the first recruiter contact until the final meeting with the Director of the department.

Something weird happened in the first interview too. During the interview, the manager takes a call from an employee at a remote site - San Diego, I think. He speaks Korean to this employee during the phone conversation so I don't know what was said. They seemed to be very Korean-centric when I visited there. Maybe it's different now. I have absolutely no problem losing out to another candidate during an interview, but the company should at least inform me that I didn't get the job. Send me an e-mail, letter or phone call letting me know. Very unprofessional on their part.

Interview Questions

• Have you had to fire another employee?
      Explain how you manage systems currently across your Enterprise environment.

Untitled Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

(sorry, I don't want to exposure too much detail, my boss will know)
    One single interview, 1 hour, 1 person, asked questions related to the skills that benefits to the project

Interview Questions

• algorithm, graphics, project dependent questions   1 Answer