Samsung Research America Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 29, 2017

2.6

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Had the worst interview experience ever. I have interviewed with the top and the small sized startups. However, the experience in this case was incredibly awful.

If you are applying here, DONT !! Respect your time.

I got contacted by a recruiter to join Samsung Pay team. Lets call this recruiter Mr. Incompetent. We fixed a time to have an initial conversation over the phone. First phone call and Mr. Incompetent was late by 2 hours. He called me at an odd time during which i was busy but still went on to talk even when i said i cant. We did not talk about the team or role or requirements at all.
    Mr. Incompetent sent a codility test link. There were 2 questions and they were very easy. Total time limit was 12 hours, however i completed in 1 hour.

Few days passed by and i did not receive any feedback at all. I sent emails to Mr. Incompetent, about the feedback and he used to reply after 12-20 hours. Finally I got a confirmation about the test results and was called for onsite.

I wanted to know about the team, requirements, and the role so that i can prepare for success and hence "tried" setting up a phone call with Mr. Incompetent. After 2-3 days and regular follow up my request was answered and we set up a time to talk. My emails were replied only after following up 2-3 times. Not even the president of the country is as busy.

As usual, Mr. Incompetent did not show up for the call. I sent an email about the whereabouts, to which a reply came after 1.5 days, that he had forgotten about the phone call. We set up another time to talk.

To fix for the second appointment, i used to be prompt in sending my availability but never got a reply within 10 hours. Finally we set up another time to talk, which Mr. Incompetent again missed.

This time I got pissed off and asked him to pass me to another recruiter or his manager. Which recruiter misses calls with a potential candidate? Which recruiter does not check emails during the work day? Mr. Incompetent !!

I used to get cold emails at a particular time from him, to get in a call in next 5mins. He thinks he is the only one busy. Then on, i just scheduled the onsite without talking to him.
    Even the onsite schedule email confirmation was so erratic and incomplete. The onsite confirmation email had only the time range. No slots, no names of the people interviewing me, no information about the areas i would be tested in and by whom. After another 5 follow ups, i got that information.

a week before the onsite interview, i get email from Mr. Competent saying that he is canceling the interview based on how I approached him in the emails and he would not like to bring that in the team. What a joke !! If this was the case, i wonder how did he get hired in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Coding: Array problem to find max distance amongst elements based on some criteria   Answer Question

Social Media and Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I received a call 2 days after applying for the internship. The interviewer was very friendly and highly complimentary of my resume and work experience. She was quite enthusiastic about my candidacy and I believe she strongly implied that I would be selected for this internship.

The next day I received a call from her letting me know that another candidate had been selected. It was a considerable disappointment, and a bit of a shock given the degree of interest she expressed the day before. Most disappointingly, I was never given the opportunity to visit the Samsung campus and present my portfolio and speak for myself in front of her team. To her credit, she was very apologetic and compassionate when giving me the news. Apparently, she wanted to select me, but her team felt stronger about another candidate overall.

Although I am grateful to be recognized by Samsung, I think the interviewer mislead me and gave me way too much false hope. After our conversation, I was so excited because I felt certain that I would at least get the opportunity to visit the Samsung campus. I am a strong interview, and I believe being able to speak for myself in front of her team would have made a big difference. I don't think it's fair to speak so enthusiastically to a candidate (a college student, nonetheless) without the intention of even bringing them in for an interview. I suggest toning down your approach during initial phone screens if you can't really follow through with what you're implying or hinting at.

Interview Questions

Samsung Research America Response

Sep 22, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your honest review and feedback. We are so troubled to hear about your frustrations and overall negative experience. At SRA we are constantly striving to create a positive and... More

HR Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by on-site interview. Discussions around the role, the team, and company culture. Many questions regarding relevant experience and how it would impact the organization. Positive, professional and responsive recruiter and coordinator.

Interview Questions

• Hiring manager has experience in personality profiling, which made the interview a bit more tense when they shared this information.   Answer Question

Promotions Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me describing the job description and going over my experience. She worked for Axelon and was extremely professional and helpful throughout the entire process. I got a phone interview with the manager and she mainly went over my experience and some problem solving questions. I ended up getting an in-person interview. It was all problem solving questions asking what feature I would add to solve this problem and how I would implement it to a developer team. I thought it went well and after answering her last question she asked if I wanted feedback now or later. I have never had an interviewer ask me, but of course I wanted to know what she thought. She told me that I was in her top three candidates and my answers were very good, but there was a candidate that had developing experience, where I don't have much of a technical background. She told me that if she doesn't end up giving me the job and I want a career in tech, that should work on being more technical, such as read every day about the industry. I have never had someone be so honest with me and offer me advice to help me get a job in the future. I didn't end up getting the job, but it was good experience and gave me something to work on.

Interview Questions

• Name an app that you do not like and how would you change it to be more successful?   Answer Question
    • What feature would you add to the Samsung Pay app to acquire more customers? Draw out a screen flow chart of your vision.   Answer Question
    • A developer is already working on a project and says he does not have time to take on your new project, how would you convince him/her that your project is significant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

1st round senior product manager. Ask about data analysis and some questions according to resume. 2nd round data scientist asked about thread safety and some ML algorithms 3rd round coding assignment.

Product Innovation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Samsung asked me to do a 10-20 slide PowerPoint presentation (for FREE).

They told me to "leverage whatever data you have at your disposal to support your argument." I spent two weeks on the deck only for them to tell me it was a "data dump."

Samsung claims to be an innovative company, yet they ask candidates to do work for free. Scandalous! I regret not telling this company my true feelings. No other company has asked me to do "homework" during the interview process except Samsung.

Interview Questions

• Question 1: If you were to develop a category called “Smart Home Appliances” from scratch, how would you define “smart” appliances and what types of concepts come to your mind (at the platform level?)

Question 2: The refrigerator is traditionally not thought of as a technology product but as a key appliance used by the entire household, it occupies a central role in the kitchen. Are there opportunities for the refrigerator to become a technology appliance as well as a home appliance? What consumer benefits/scenarios should we support and what technologies (hardware and/or software) are needed to enable this to happen?

Question 3: One of the most polarizing “innovations” to cooking has been the microwave oven. Despite widespread adoption, many professionals despise them. Present your point-of-view on the impact the microwave oven has had on modern cooking and then introduce a lifestyle trend that could influence the evolution of the microwave. Then present your idea for the microwave, evolved.

Question 4: Samsung currently manufactures large scale appliances. Do you think there is an opportunity for Samsung to play in the small appliance space? If so, what do you see as the market and product opportunity?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

four tech rounds and one round talking with hr. SRA is more like Korean company. Everything is serious, clean and well organized. One interviewer is not so good, the others are pretty good. HR is kind.

Interview Questions

• Permutation of one array ang many basic java knowledge.   Answer Question

Software Development Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had applied online.I had a brief call with a recruiter where in she told me to give a codility test.The codility test had 2 programming questions.I got a reject after a week.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

1. Applied through LinkedIn, was contacted by HR
    2. Phone interview with a team of 3 or 4 people, questions were focused on my background research and skills listed on my resume, my LinkedIn and my home page.
    3. Passed the phone interview and went onsite. Unlike all other major companies I had interviewed with, this interview started around noon with a lunch. After that, I had to present my work for about an hour. After that, I had 4 or 5 sessions of interview sessions talking with groups of people working in the same team.
    4. Got no feedback, heard nothing back from them which is very unprofessional and sad IMHO. After reading reviews here, I now know that's either that's their style of doing things or too busy taking care of Galaxy Note, Washing machines, etc malfunction.

Fun fact: during one of the group interviews, one of the engineers mentioned that: "... reviews on review websites do not reflect how OUR TEAM works... don't trust them and yada yada".

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were focused on my resume.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I think companies forget that their recruitment staff is the "face" of the company for candidates. That means that in this current environment for the fight for talent, companies should also be putting their best foot forward to impress potential candidates (as well as the candidates themselves). It speaks volumes when the recruitment staff has no common professional courtesy to let candidates know their interview status in a timely manner. If they treat you like this in the courtship, how do they treat you once you're an employee? After reading the reviews from current employees, not hearing back from the recruiter seems to be a godsend. Definitely the worst recruitment experience of my current interview slate.

Interview Questions

• First interview is a generic phone interview screen before moving onto onsite.   Answer Question