Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Interviews at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US)

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Senior Storage Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

1 phone interview, then onsite. 5 back-to-back round, can ask for a break if needed. No launch due to COVID19. Notify the result in 1 week.

15 min-30 min of behavior question, past experiences, and project listed on resume. Then Easy-Medium coding questions on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• LRU cache, add two numbers (in linked list), design a balanced tree.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

Two phone interviews; A screening call with HR and another with the hiring manager. Was scheduled for a onsite shortly after the second phone interview but a month out. The interview consisted of a presentation of previous project followed by 5 hours of 1-on-1's.
    Was completely ghosted after that process. All follow up e-mails and phone calls with no response. Samsung hasn't compensated me for any of the travel expenses I incurred either, which they said they would. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

About average call with a recruiter first, then interview with the hiring manager or team member (wasn't made clear). I was asked if I was Korean, which felt very discriminatory of them to ask me and should be illegal to ask if it isn't already. The individual could not communicate the technical questions very well and when asked to clarify they would just repeat themself and swap one example noun for another. I now understand why several former colleagues that went to Samsung left after very short stints. I was offered an on-site but declined. I won't apply here again and I would not recommend others to apply here.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

Phone screen with a few technical questions. On-site with 5 one-on-ones. No response regarding acceptance/rejection afterwards. Was provided hotel and flight; was promised reimbursement for rental car but was ghosted after the interview.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I applied for a position in Memory solutions lab in San Jose. I talked to the director of the lab over the phone. He went over the work they were doing and my research interests. Then, I was invited to the onsite interview. I was asked to give a presentation followed by 3-4 rounds of technical questions - some related to my Ph.D. work others and others were programming puzzles - nothing more than Leetcode medium difficulty. They take forever to get you an offer, the whole process is not very transparent and sort of unfriendly. And they lowball you a lot and put pressure to decide soon.

RF Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Initially senior manager emailed me for phone interview, it went well after that it took two weeks for a recruiter to give a call and schedule interview. I was interviewed for mmwave design engineer at Samsung Semiconductor San Jose.
    Started at 9am,
    Initial 30min with recruiter - she explains about company etc(she reads a script)
    Then next rounds will be with directors and hiring managers and senior engineers till 4pm each of 30min.
    Directors are so dumb and not technically sound in Samsung San Jose. The interview process itself was very slow. They didn’t prepare for interview to ask questions. Dumb questions from resume and few RF basics. They have all PhDs and The overall interview process is not planned and organized. You see lot of Chinese are Koreans interviewing you but all the so called senior directors didn’t sound knowledgeable. They see more behavioral . By the end of my interviews I got to know that to start a career in RF this is not a place. Hope by reading this feedback they should change their hiring process to be more effective and interesting.

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Headline: Fishy and dishonest

Recruiter set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. He missed the first appointment. We spoke on the second try and immediately he seemed impressed with my experience, in fact recommending that I should put more of my experience on my resume. I had the scientific and the business background they were looking for. However, he mentioned he just started his search and to be a little patient.

Needless to say -- I was surprised to get an email from HR that he decided to go another direction.

Seems a little fishy and I'm not appreciating the dishonesty here.

Senior Firmware Engineer- IoT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

HR scheduled a phone screening with Lead Engineer. He asked all the questions as that is irrelevant to the job description. As per job description, a company is looking for a person who has a good knowledge in MCU, ARM processor, and C/C++ embedded system programming. In phone screening, Lead Engineer asked about Linux based question (There is not mentioned anything about Linux). Then I told him that I don't have good experience with Linux then he said ok and asked more questions about Linux system. I feel that there is not a single question about firmware engineer position or microcontroller or C/C++.

The funny part is that this position is from Samsung Strategy & Innovation Center (SSIC) which has a team of innovators that design next-generation products. An Innovator never asked a silly question, an innovative person reviewes other person's work and asked a question that challenges person's ability to think something creative.

Samsung has to understand that with kind of this engineer they are going backward not in forward.

Interview Questions

• Explain interprocessor communication in Linux System?   1 Answer

Purchasing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

General Questions for the first interview on the phone with the recruiter.
    it took about 30 minutes.
    First, my introductino to him. And was asked about my strength and weakness. And why this company?

Associate Manager, Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Semiconductor Inc (US) (San Jose, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

One day I received a quick call from some recruiter telling me that someone else may email. That someone else emailed me to setup an onsite with only the hiring manager. That someone emailed me for an associate position which was different than the manager role I had applied for. So I asked her for confirmation and correction. Which she did.

Surprising that I never interviewed on phone with a recruiter or even a hiring manager. The onsite interview went well and the hiring manager mentioned that she liked me. Then I was invited for another round with 2 more people followed by an "Excel" test which was a breeze. The 2 people didnt have great things to talk about the company "Korean" culture.

The hiring manager told me that she liked me a lot and that she would work with HR to get my "offer" sped up because I was about to received an offer from some other company.

I never heard back from them after repeated emails. Then later the careers website showed that they had downgraded the position. Looked like they wouldnt have been able to afford me or the fact that I was way more experienced - because the Excel test was for an hour and I completed in less than 30 min.