San Diego Gas & Electric Interview Questions | Glassdoor

San Diego Gas & Electric Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (San Diego, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online on the website, 2 weeks later got an email from the HR to fill their online application and took a behavioral test. Eventually, 3 month later, got an email from one of the senior engineers ( barely 30 yrs old) to set up an interview. The interview was the stupidest interview I've ever had (and I have done many interviews for governmental jobs!!) It seemed more like they were getting pledges for their fraternity. They literally say it in your face that we don't care about your technical knowledge and qualifications, we are looking for some one who can entertain us. It was obvious that from the beginning they know who they were going to hire; they just wanted to interview X number of people for the sake of HR and paperwork. But I totally understand, because the kind of work that civil/structural engineers do at SDG&E is pretty simple! they basically do minimal design work and they have standard designs. Not much left to figure out and to be challenged! So good luck getting into the CLUB if you don't have connections with the VIP members .

Interview Questions

• Just google behavioral questions.
      What is it about you that makes you different and special?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (San Diego, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process began when one of the recruiters came to my school campus and gave a presentation, accepting resumes afterwards for interviews the next morning. The interview entirely behavioral and make sure to practice the STAR interviewing technique. If you get past that interview you will receive an online behavior quiz. After that they flew me out to San Diego all expenses paid for the second interview. The second interview took up most of the day it included seven one on one interviews that all lasted about half an hour with 15 minutes in between each. There was a complimentary lunch in the middle somewhere. The questions were mainly based on my resume and my experience with some technical questions sprinkled throughout, but nothing too difficult. Overall the interviewing process was extremely enjoyable as everyone at the company seemed to be enjoying their work.

Interview Questions

• Explain positive, negative and zero sequence impedance and it's importance.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you dealt with conflict in a team environment.   Answer Question

Compliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (Escondido, CA).

Interview

The first step was to apply online. After that, candidates are screened by HR and promising applications are sent to the hiring manager. The hiring manager coordinates with HR to schedule interviews after reviewing applications. The interview was in person. The entire process took several months.

Interview Questions

• Generally, the questions asked related to the ability to apply knowledge and work through problems.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Very detailed and overly invasive application process including off site tests, very long and extensive online applications, and reference lists all required to be submitted before you ever meet anyone face to face. I would have thought I was applying to the FBI or CIA with all the information they requested from me. Interview was brief and information discussed so general I feel like it could have been done over the phone or in person. Vague descriptions on timelines of when you will hear back in the application process. Most detailed interview process I've ever been involved in during my many years in the workforce. Disappointed I wasted hours of my time. Process way too involved and the whole ordeal could easily be streamlined.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

This entire process was a waste of my time starting with the 200 question personality test, then the solo electronic self interview. This company can't even allocate an actual human being to facilitate the interview. Then I guess I did well enough on that to be selected for The green battery exam (a collection of computer software ability and basic math ability tests) which took approximately 4 HOURS to complete. Then It took me over an hour to get home when I only live 35 minutes from the testing site. After all this, I never heard from the company ever again-not even the decency to send a rejection email. I contacted the only point of contact I had, who initially invited me to take the interview and test, multiple times and it wasn't until my third email to her over a month later that she actually got around to telling me they were still making a decision. This company does not respect is applicants or their time. If you have to choose between applying for this job and another one just go to the other one and save yourself the headache. I will never bother with applying for another SDGE any position ever again.

Interview Questions

• How do you monitor for air is one sending correspondence?   Answer Question

Senior Transmission Compliance Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a panel interview with 4 managers. Didn't know if it was casual Friday but they were all in jeans. Met me on time. Went through the process of entering a secured facility but once I say down...I had to ask what was the emergency response procedures. None of the interviewers looked like me. I really had a hard time understanding the only woman on the panel.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about only being an individual contributor at this stage of your career? What have you heard about our company? How do you keep up with advances in technology? Tell us some of the Standards that you have worked with? Tell us a few of the organizations and their relationships to the industry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with them at a career fair. Got called about 2 weeks after to fly over there and do a second interview. Laid back interview, didnt feel like an interview at all. Got called around a month after. Had to meet with around 7 people from the company 30 mins each. went to lunch and then got taken out on a dinner with another associate engineers.

Energy Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Recruiting process was fairly easy and quick.
    Completed assessment online.
    Was contacted by a third party company to then test some even more at a different location.
    Passed all tests, then had to fill out a job application online and reference checks.
    Finally I was contacted by a Recruiter who asked questions about my work history and set up an in person interview.

Now this is when it gets really disappointing and frustrating.

I interviewed by 2 females. Both of them seemed not friendly and very rushed. Asked the same questions as other companies hiring for customer service positions.. Tell me about a time yada yada yada..
    The older lady with the glasses first started rambling about the company and the position while the younger female was taking notes.
    While I was answering the older female questions she was yawning and making it seem that she was bored and she wanted to just leave. Mind you I had some great answers and examples from previous interviews that were much complex that this one.
    The interview lasted about 10 minutes if so. The older lady escorted me out of the room and she blurted ..Good luck to you! Which by this point I knew for a fact that I wasn't right for them.

I actually thank them I didn't get the job. I would have probably hated it. This Call Center jobs are for introverts and people with no personality whatsoever, being miserable and angry all the time.
    That is not me unfortunately, I just wish they would have never wasted my time taking all the tests, driving to external locations etc if they were going to just treat me like nothing during a professional interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you provided excellent customer service   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric (San Diego, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Onsite interview at San Diego Office. There were two people during the interview, one mainly asked questions and one mainly took notes. All the questions are HR questions, and no technical questions. After the interview, they pair you up with an engineer who both interned and worked there. You basically talk with him and ask questions and then you're free to go.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the most interesting project that you worked on?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at San Diego Gas & Electric in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was really laid back, asked mostly behavioural questions like situations when you had to work as a team, how to handle conflicts. Next you'd get invited to HQ for a full day of interview with managers and team leads for a mix of technical and behavioural questions.

Interview Questions

• situations when you had to work as a team, how to handle conflicts, etc   Answer Question