San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency Interview Questions | Glassdoor

San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2017

2.9

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.

Interview

It's a panel interview. Seven questions within half hour. Some technique questions about specific projects. Few questions about background, experience, or behavior questions. Interviewers were having poker face during the whole period.

Interview Questions

• If SFMTA want to replace some off-street parking with bike lanes, how do you deal with neighborhoods?   Answer Question

Student Engineer Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied in February, heard back a few weeks for a phone interview. In April I had a in-person interview. Two weeks later I heard that I was selected by phone and email. I lived in Southern California so I had to drive over twice for the interview and then for the finger scan. However, you can request another phone interview and wait to have the finger scan the first day of employment. That's what other interns did, but I enjoyed the drive over to the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a sheet with five questions when I sat down. Great because you can quickly look at the sheet and prepare all your answers in your head. They asked what CAD experience I had, describe a difficult moment at work, how do I work with others, and what are my interests in engineering. I can't remember the fifth one but the questions are not curve balls. Just prepare well for the common questions like about yourself, weaknesses and strengths, project examples, and behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Transit Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Took a two hour test for SFMTA and within 60 days I was taking the pre screen for the position. Very strict meeting points have to be on time. Based on customer service, Driving skills and knowledge about fares. How to operate a bus properly and several questions about common sense that has to do with the position you are taking and or applying for.

Public Aide Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.

Interview

Standard interview and testing with DOJ and detailed government background check. Panel interview with three personnel-two ask questions and one takes notes.

Once a decision is made after several weeks, you are notified for testing.

Project Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Despite all the details describing recruitment process on their web site, it turns out that it is all "just theoretical, and not to be taken as stated". You do not know how many rounds of interviews could happen, you do not get information about progress.
    You do get notification that an interview will take place, and then you better jump, for whichever round it may be.
    If it turns out that you have some other commitment, well, bad luck.
    Process can take months and quarters, while seasons are changing. If you have happened to plan your vacation, well, bad luck if you cannot get to the interview.
    If you happen to travel to the interview for, say, 2000 miles, interview can get cancelled on very last day before the interview. Bad luck, again.

You may be left hanging for months and quarters without any notification about progress of the process. That means, it is hard to plan anything or rely on anything.

All in all, it is hard to believe that many people will be able to go past all such "bad luck" obstacles. You would pretty much have to put everything on hold for quite some time in order to be sure that you would be available for next step.

As for interview details, you are not allowed to pass any information to anybody.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.

Interview

Panel interview with 5 employees. No time to get to know them or know you, just basic behavioral interview with canned questions. Just prepare some answers about past projects you've worked on, problems you've solved, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Student Design Trainee III Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position in February and received an email in March notifying me of an interview that would take place during spring break in March. The interview consisted of a piece of paper on the table with 5 questions on it asking about various transportation-related problems and skills that you have. Pretty straight-froward interview, just study up on some of SFMTA's projects such as Vision Zero or SF Park. 2 weeks after my interview, I received an email about placement and pre-employment steps.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience in Adobe CS, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, or GIS?   Answer Question

Student Intern II Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (New Brunswick, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

Skype interview for 30 mins after the initial online application process. There were 7 questions and there were 3 interviewers on the panel. They also give you a chance to choose divisions and interview time as preferrances.

Student Design Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.

Interview

Had to apply online through their website, very straight forward. Panel of three or more people, typical government no smiling and only reading the questions back policy applies. 30 minutes maximum with no outside documentation allowed for screening.

Auto Service Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

email of test date followed by results a month later followed by 1 interview 2 months later followed by a phone call for a background check and drug test 2 weeks later, followed by hire 3 weeks later, followed by my first paycheck 3 weeks later

Negotiation

no negotiation