San Francisco Public Utilities Commission Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 10, 2017

2.7

IT Operations Administrative Support III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

From applying to the first exam/interview date was about 2-3 weeks. Interview had 4 sections, 1 panel interview of 3 interviewers asking a set of 10 questions, mock phone call from user needing help, written exercise on writing an email, and 1 laptop exercise. Total time was about 2 hours

Interview Questions

• Laptop exercise: Connecting to a specific hidden wifi. The laptop had the physical airplane mode button switched on, WAN turned off, and the wireless service was turned off too   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.

Interview

Applied online. It took 2 months from submission to getting a call to schedule an interview. I was told the interview would be an hour long and I'd have to prepare a presentation. I presented to an executive panel and the process was very formal. Was called a day after first interview to schedule a second interview with AGM.

Public Service Aide Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.

Interview

Got a call from HR after four or five months of applying. Ten minutes to prepare for pre-set questions and twenty minutes of interview. Mostly behavioral questions. Interviewers were not very serious since this was not a permanent position.

Interview Questions

• A challenging situation you have encountered in your previous workplace.   Answer Question

Utility Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Starts with fairly standard online application through the Department of Human Resources website/ job postings board. If you get past that initial round, then you take the Civil Service Exam. If you score within the top 10, then you're on a list and departments can call you for interviews as they have openings.

Interview Questions

• 30 minute analytical test done on Excel, asking business analytics questions regarding energy procurement, planning, finances, etc. Should know difference between kW vs mW vs kWh etc. pretty well.   Answer Question

1824 Administrative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a panel of three people from three different divisions of the company. There was a fourth person from HR there to observe the proceeding. Also, you can challenge the interviewer if you fee that person will not be a netural party, ie., if you had a bad interaction or previous interaction with that person.

Interview Questions

• Each person on the panel asked 2-3 questions, ranging from contract admistration, budgeting, or bidding process.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the senior electrical engineer. The questions were more personal than technical. Don't forget to smile because the interviewer will think you are in a bad mood and that you don't really want the position being offered.

Technology and Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied in late December and did not hear until February. In general it was fast punctuated with periods of complete silence.

I was surprised to receive a call scheduling an interview without a phone screening interview. I was asked to prepare a set of recommendations based on a social media report put together by an intern based on their 2014 results.

A panel of 3 people with a prepared set of questions asked me questions related to the job and my experience. Pretty straightforward. They were prepared and the whole thing was quite efficient. The only thing that became slightly apparent was that this position went beyond the digital and social media to include some publication-related work: annual reports, newsletters, the web, PLUS bring in innovation from the outside: new tools, platforms etc. I was overprepared for the social media portion and not sure anybody really read my 2 page document with recommendations. In any case, the interview was enjoyable and had a good and productive conversation—I was able to present my ideas.

I was scheduled for a final interview (the week after the 1st one) with the direct supervisor of the position and the corresponding AGM. They called me on a Monday for a Wed interview. I made arrangements and had a pretty low-key talk. I expected a much tougher set of questions but overall it was rather easy I would say. In hindsight, maybe they already had a favorite candidate in mind.

I was asked to provide references 24 hrs later, which I did. They did talk to one of my references and played phone tag with another. I followed up via email but never heard back. I guess somebody else got the job.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with a panel of three people about the position. The interview lasted approximately 45 minutes in which the three members took turns asking questions they had previously come up with. At the end of the interview they requested a writing sample. They were very quick in setting up with interview after I initially applied, however they never bothered to let me know the outcome afterwards, even after I tried to reach out to them.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a person resistance to change that change is necessary?   1 Answer
    • How would you conduct data analysis on data you collected?   Answer Question

Student Design Trainee III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (Orlando, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed at a conference after meeting one of the recruiters during the conference's career fair. I was interviewed by two people and it was a very comfortable, standard interview. The interview was during the career fair, but they held it in a private booth. My interviews were very friendly and made me feel calm.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know my strengths and weaknesses, how I dealt with a problem and overcame it, and projects I worked on.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.

Interview

Hiring process took almost 2 months. After signing up on jobaps, got a call to come in for an interview. Interview was with a supervisor/clerk/accountant and a 1654 Accountant III. Interview was very straightforward, nothing unusual. After the interview, it took the city over 1 month to get me in for fingerprinting and picture id.