San Mateo County Interview Questions | Glassdoor

San Mateo County Interview Questions

Interviews at San Mateo County

2.8

Analyst Interview

Interview

The hiring process was long and drawn out. Hiring process took 6 months start to finish. Basic civil service exam. Wasn't told my ranking. Panel interview with dept. heads.

Appraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Before actual interview, there is an exam to write. The exam main focus on basic asthmatics calculations as well as some civil servant ethics.

After passing the exam, interview is scheduled . Time from application submission to actual interview is about 2 to 3 months.

Appraiser Interview

Interview

Initial screening with a test, then several rounds of interviews. The 1st interview is in front of a panel of 3 supervisors with laptops and notes; serious business. Interview was formulaic and stern. They want to see how well you can verbally explain your experience with analytical work and customer service. I didn't make it past the first imterview, so I'm not sure how the 2nd one is like.

Interview Questions

• Describe a work experience that required analytical thinking.   Answer Question

IS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

On the internet, we can always tell the truth. Civil service with the county must be the most backward, ugly , and stupid system on earth to hire people. Some of these jobs involve Hospital, public safety, doctors and nurses.
    1. Applications. list all your training, education for the past 40 or more years. who on earth remembers what they actually studied 40 years ago but it will add up points to get the interview.
    2. Panel interview 20-30 minutes. this panel interview system is just backward and ugly . Just 4 to 6 questions. Rater will rate you based on what you say. it takes 5 minutes to read the questions /5 minutes to think about the questions /10- 15 minutes to answer the questions. Answer the question and use key -words. Say the right thing. /get a high score /say the wrong the thing, get a low score. this system is ugly and backward but it is mandated by the union. This system is like USSR or communist cuba. it is a 100% a test of your public-speaking skills. you could be lazy bum, do nothing /know nothing but if you are a great public -speaker , you will get a high score. County needs to use a Half /Half or 50.50 point. 50 points for education /experience. 50-points for interview for a total score of 100 points. Using the 100% oral exam as the final score just shows the county as LAZY LAZY LAZY . the county does not want to do the work needed to bring great people.
    LAZY LAZY LAZY LAZY, repeat county that uses 100% of the oral -interview as the final score. this is tax money at work. people need to contact the Board of Supervisors /County Manager that HR is just lazy and does not want to do the work needed to bring the right people in. LAZY /INCOMPETENT HR DEPT. Public -service is important for the health /safety of the county and HR needs to do a better job.

Interview Questions

• What education and qualifications makes you qualify for this position.   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

The process had good and bad points. I applied for two positions. The first was very impersonal but the second was friendly and great, and that was the job I ended up accepting. I went to the office and was interviewed by two managers. The feel was very calm and lighthearted. I could tell they were passionate about their work.

Interview Questions

• What is a situation in which you have resolved a problem in a team?   Answer Question

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very formal, panel interview. Different than a normal interview at a private company. 40 minutes to answer 8 questions to the best of your ability. Not allowed to ask interviewers questions

IT Analyst Interview

Interview

Apply for the position online. If you application is selected, in few weeks time, will get an email showing screening committee selected the application inviting for an interview with a panel board. Self-schedule your interview time from the given time schedules.
    The interviews last approximately 25 minutes at the county office. Set of 4 same questions asked to all candidates and at the end, the panel let candidate to do a concluding statement.
    If passed the interview,
    the score result along with your position in the list will be emailed to you in few days time. The department will contact the top ranked candidates from the list when they are ready to fill the vacancy.

Interview Questions

• explain the requirement, education and work , how does it fit with the requirement.
      other behavioral questions...   Answer Question

Energy Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Applied online. took 1 month for response. Got a Phone interview. information on detailed day-to-day job responsibilities, moved on resume related questions, HR questions in the end.
    2-3 people asked questions.

Fiscal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Submitted an online application. then , I was scheduled a test. if you pass it, you will be received your test score ranking. When there is a vacancy in a department, they will call you for an panel interview.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview was highly structured, with panel of interviewers. Interviewers only read what was on the script. I first submitted a written set of answers to questions online, and then based on points received, I was invited for an in-person interview. Then I had a second in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• They let me know in advance in general what the questions would be, and didn't pose any trick questions. Very direct questions asking to state all academic and professional experience that would relate to the job. Also asked to describe a difficult work situation and how it was resolved.   Answer Question