San Mateo County Interview Questions | Glassdoor

San Mateo County Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

2.8

Fiscal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Submitted an online application. then , I was scheduled a test. if you pass it, you will be received your test score ranking. When there is a vacancy in a department, they will call you for an panel interview.

Medical Office Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

A panel interview with two of the department leaders.
    There was a predetermined set of questions and the interview took about 30-40 minutes.
    Questions were not difficult and they did not ask anything besides those questions.

Interview Questions

• There are two tasks that are given, You will not be able to finish both of them by the deadline. What would you do?   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

I applied for the job online. Later, I received an email informing me that I needed to take a series of exams to make sure I qualify for the position. After the exams, I went in for the first panel interview. This interview consisted of sitting down in an office with myself and three others. After this interview, there was another panel interview, again consisting of myself and three others.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to prepare for this office assistant position?   Answer Question
    • Name a time where you had a disagreement with a co-worker and how did you resolve said conflict?   Answer Question
    • How comfortable are you in working with the public? If someone in the public started cursing at you, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Education Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Was told I would be given 35 minutes for the interview. Was NOT told there would be a panel. (Surprise!) Questions were given in order by each panel member. Interview went very well; it was clear 2 panel members impressed with me. However, I made the mistake of not deferring enough to the YOUNGER hiring manager/supervisor. Received a form-like rejection email and she wouldn't return my phone calls or emails asking for more information.

Analyst Interview

Interview

The hiring process was long and drawn out. Hiring process took 6 months start to finish. Basic civil service exam. Wasn't told my ranking. Panel interview with dept. heads.

IS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

On the internet, we can always tell the truth. Civil service with the county must be the most backward, ugly , and stupid system on earth to hire people. Some of these jobs involve Hospital, public safety, doctors and nurses.
    1. Applications. list all your training, education for the past 40 or more years. who on earth remembers what they actually studied 40 years ago but it will add up points to get the interview.
    2. Panel interview 20-30 minutes. this panel interview system is just backward and ugly . Just 4 to 6 questions. Rater will rate you based on what you say. it takes 5 minutes to read the questions /5 minutes to think about the questions /10- 15 minutes to answer the questions. Answer the question and use key -words. Say the right thing. /get a high score /say the wrong the thing, get a low score. this system is ugly and backward but it is mandated by the union. This system is like USSR or communist cuba. it is a 100% a test of your public-speaking skills. you could be lazy bum, do nothing /know nothing but if you are a great public -speaker , you will get a high score. County needs to use a Half /Half or 50.50 point. 50 points for education /experience. 50-points for interview for a total score of 100 points. Using the 100% oral exam as the final score just shows the county as LAZY LAZY LAZY . the county does not want to do the work needed to bring great people.
    LAZY LAZY LAZY LAZY, repeat county that uses 100% of the oral -interview as the final score. this is tax money at work. people need to contact the Board of Supervisors /County Manager that HR is just lazy and does not want to do the work needed to bring the right people in. LAZY /INCOMPETENT HR DEPT. Public -service is important for the health /safety of the county and HR needs to do a better job.

Interview Questions

• What education and qualifications makes you qualify for this position.   2 Answers

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very formal, panel interview. Different than a normal interview at a private company. 40 minutes to answer 8 questions to the best of your ability. Not allowed to ask interviewers questions

Energy Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Applied online. took 1 month for response. Got a Phone interview. information on detailed day-to-day job responsibilities, moved on resume related questions, HR questions in the end.
    2-3 people asked questions.

Various Positions Throughout the Organization Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Typical civil service interview process: Supplemental questions and application, screening, panel interview, place on a list, followed by department interview. For a public service organization, and in comparison for neighboring municipal government (City and County) SMC works fast and does a great job of sending timely and regular communication.

Interview Questions

• What prepares you for this position?
      Situational and behavioral questions....i.e. tell me about a time when x happened and how you handled it, what the outcome was, etc.
      Closing statement - opportunity to share final thoughts and information about yourself with the interview panel.   Answer Question

Office Assistant II, Extra Help Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was typical for government agency in CA. Panel interviews-usually 2 or 3 people ask a series of predetermined questions. General questions regarding type/length of experience in government agencies, amount of public contact in past jobs, computer proficiency.
    A question about work/life balance issues and then a final one: is there anything you would like to add? All in all, just what I expected.

Interview Questions

• We will soon be migrating from our current GroupWise E-mail software to using Microsoft Outlook. Do you have experience with MS Outlook? Are you comfortable using it?   2 Answers