San Mateo County Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 20, 2016

2.9

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very formal, panel interview. Different than a normal interview at a private company. 40 minutes to answer 8 questions to the best of your ability. Not allowed to ask interviewers questions

Energy Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Applied online. took 1 month for response. Got a Phone interview. information on detailed day-to-day job responsibilities, moved on resume related questions, HR questions in the end.
    2-3 people asked questions.

Various Positions Throughout the Organization Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Typical civil service interview process: Supplemental questions and application, screening, panel interview, place on a list, followed by department interview. For a public service organization, and in comparison for neighboring municipal government (City and County) SMC works fast and does a great job of sending timely and regular communication.

Interview Questions

• What prepares you for this position?
      Situational and behavioral questions....i.e. tell me about a time when x happened and how you handled it, what the outcome was, etc.
      Closing statement - opportunity to share final thoughts and information about yourself with the interview panel.
      Answer Question

Office Assistant II, Extra Help Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was typical for government agency in CA. Panel interviews-usually 2 or 3 people ask a series of predetermined questions. General questions regarding type/length of experience in government agencies, amount of public contact in past jobs, computer proficiency.
    A question about work/life balance issues and then a final one: is there anything you would like to add? All in all, just what I expected.

Interview Questions

• We will soon be migrating from our current GroupWise E-mail software to using Microsoft Outlook. Do you have experience with MS Outlook? Are you comfortable using it?   2 Answers

Appraiser Interview

Interview

Initial screening with a test, then several rounds of interviews. The 1st interview is in front of a panel of 3 supervisors with laptops and notes; serious business. Interview was formulaic and stern. They want to see how well you can verbally explain your experience with analytical work and customer service. I didn't make it past the first imterview, so I'm not sure how the 2nd one is like.

Interview Questions

• Describe a work experience that required analytical thinking.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Your application, resume, and supplemental questions will be given a point score according to how many of the agency's criteria you meet. Only those who score above a certain threshold will be invited for an interview. In the next stage of the process--the interview--you go before a panel and they ask you 6 questions, rapid-fire style, and your ability to move forward in the process is based SOLELY on how they feel you have answered these 6 questions...at this point, your resume, your long, detailed answers to the supplemental questions and everything else you've done up until now are irrelevant. This creates a huge disadvantage for anyone who is an introvert or not a strong public speaker, despite what his/her qualifications may be, and creates a slightly unfair advantage (in my opinion) for those who might be extroverted and/or very good at public speaking, despite potentially lacking in other important areas of the position (such as writing or technical skills--which would be key in this position). It seems that it would make more sense and be more fair if they could combine the application score with the interview score, or also offer a skills-based test to interviewees in order to even the playing field and ensure they get the best candidate(s).

Interview Questions

• The questions themselves are pretty fair and they are relevant to the position--no ridiculous ones such as "What is your greatest weakness" or "How would your friends describe you"...but expect a few behavioral/situational questions about your work history, especially regarding working with other people, etc.   Answer Question

Most Clerical Jobs Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Standard civil service test, panel interview , then department interview

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions, asked about experience, nothing really difficult   Answer Question

Criminal Records Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Application, test, interviews, background check

Poll Station Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Half Moon Bay, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Half Moon Bay, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied and was told to attend a training. This is not very applicable with the job that I held under the San Mateo County Elections Office as there was no formal interview. The application was as a student, and the acceptance conditions were largely based on the application.

Negotiation

This is not applicable with the job that I held under the San Mateo County Elections Office.

Human Resources Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Very strict panel interview process. I had an interview with 5 human resource division managers, and they each had a very detailed question for me. The process was more than 2 months long, and while the panel members were all very nice, it was a bit intimidating.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with Human Resources change management and systems integration.   Answer Question