San Mateo County Interview Questions | Glassdoor

San Mateo County Interview Questions

Interviews at San Mateo County

2.8

OFFICE SPECIALIST Interview

Interview

Civil service interview. Panel Interview that range from about 10-30 minutes long depending on the position. General set of questions that will be asked to all other candidates. After the questions, you will get a chance for a closing statement where you can summarize your skills and qualifications. After interviews, raters tally up scores and a numerical list is created. Top candidates move on to departmental interview.

Education Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Was told I would be given 35 minutes for the interview. Was NOT told there would be a panel. (Surprise!) Questions were given in order by each panel member. Interview went very well; it was clear 2 panel members impressed with me. However, I made the mistake of not deferring enough to the YOUNGER hiring manager/supervisor. Received a form-like rejection email and she wouldn't return my phone calls or emails asking for more information.

Employment Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

Positions are listed on County of San Mateo HR website. The classification Employment Services Specialist II (they don't hire ESS I's only II's?) are exclusively contained within the Human Service Agency (thus can't really transfer to another County Dept within that classification) either CalWorks Dept, Vocational Rehab Dept. or Workforce Investment Agency. You complete a standardized county employment (they take fingerprints and do background check against criminal record and drug test but not credit checks) application. As part of the application you will be required to complete supplemental questions usually 4-6. Based on your relevant work experience and how well you answered the questions you will be invited to move forward in the process. Next step oral interviews with a panel of 3 interviewers they are often called Subject Matter Experts but they most often are not just a supervisor that did the job previously if your lucky. If not it maybe a individual who holds a supervisor classification but may oversee a program outside the one you are interviewing for. Preference point are added to your overall score if you are a veteran or a current county employee. It is really hard to out score people with these preferences but it is possible if you have a fair amount of private sector experience in a closely related field like HR or a recruitment background. Lastly, the candidate scores are ranked 1-25 or group 1, group two. regardless of how they share the rankings if you are not in the top 7 you almost never offered a job. The gid news is that the list is only good from 6monts to a year so once a year you should able to retry for the list and the process and often the querstions will be very similar if no the same so SAVE YOUR Work!

Interview Questions

• All county employment reardless of classification utilizes situational based interview questions like "please describe a time when you provided excellent customer service to difficult client".   1 Answer

Negotiation

not really there is range based a steps A, B, C, D. E. You get a step increase to the next step once a year independent of performance. Request a C step if you feel like you are qualified if not be happy with the A step. they almost never volunteer starting at anything other than A. So ask, it can't hurt the worse that can happen is they can say No. but you still get the job.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

two people panel. nurse manager and director of health. Takes months between applying and being hired. They are always looking for Nurses as the personalities there are difficult. I applied in January, interviewed in May, offer in June, start in July.

Interview Questions

• Scenarios: Here are a set of vital signs, what do you think is going on?
      Someone asks you to do this, what do you do?   1 Answer

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Your application, resume, and supplemental questions will be given a point score according to how many of the agency's criteria you meet. Only those who score above a certain threshold will be invited for an interview. In the next stage of the process--the interview--you go before a panel and they ask you 6 questions, rapid-fire style, and your ability to move forward in the process is based SOLELY on how they feel you have answered these 6 questions...at this point, your resume, your long, detailed answers to the supplemental questions and everything else you've done up until now are irrelevant. This creates a huge disadvantage for anyone who is an introvert or not a strong public speaker, despite what his/her qualifications may be, and creates a slightly unfair advantage (in my opinion) for those who might be extroverted and/or very good at public speaking, despite potentially lacking in other important areas of the position (such as writing or technical skills--which would be key in this position). It seems that it would make more sense and be more fair if they could combine the application score with the interview score, or also offer a skills-based test to interviewees in order to even the playing field and ensure they get the best candidate(s).

Interview Questions

• The questions themselves are pretty fair and they are relevant to the position--no ridiculous ones such as "What is your greatest weakness" or "How would your friends describe you"...but expect a few behavioral/situational questions about your work history, especially regarding working with other people, etc.   Answer Question

BI Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

They seem to have a very inefficient interview process. After you have applied online and answered screening questions in the application, they still have in-person screening "interview". They were expecting knowledge in a lot more areas than the title or job responsibilities would indicate. Also someone in the interview panel appeared to be too quick to come to their conclusion.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at San Mateo County in January 2016.

Interview

No Interview Process. Just show up on your first day. I don't remember having any drug test considering it is government. Their new policy now requires an actual interview and a written test. You will be meeting all the employees of the department but not the contractors.

Human Resources Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

The initial stages of the interview process went smoothly with excellent communication from HR regarding the process. There was a moderately difficult written exam including an exam on Excel. I was brought in for a first round interview, and passed on to the second round. Since I live out of the area and wasn't able to make it in person due to my work schedule, they were extremely accommodating and allowed me to interview via Skype. But after the interview, there was literally no communication. I never received follow up from HR or the Hiring Manager. I think their process with notifying candidates needs significant improvements, or they need to be more clear with candidates about the process up front.

Human Resources Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Very strict panel interview process. I had an interview with 5 human resource division managers, and they each had a very detailed question for me. The process was more than 2 months long, and while the panel members were all very nice, it was a bit intimidating.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with Human Resources change management and systems integration.   Answer Question

Crime Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applications were submitted with a supplemental questionnaire that included essay questions. The next step was a written test, in person. If you move forward, they have an interview panel, and then a final interview panel for those in the final round. Offers are then conditional since you have to do a background investigation and polygraph (this took a long time!).