San Mateo County Interview Questions | Glassdoor

San Mateo County Interview Questions

Interviews at San Mateo County

2.8

In Custody Case Manager Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County in September 2017.

Interview

You complete a long online application with approximately 5 multipart essay questions. HR then checks applications for minimum qualifications and schedules an "in person civil service interview panel/test". OK this is not a test in the normal sense but you are scored. Basically, I went in for the interview and it was the most impersonal and dehumanizing experience I have ever had. You are just a number in their long stack of people. You go into the room with 3 people (HR, hiring manager, and some other random person unrelated to the position). They only introduce themselves by name. There is no introduction of what they do or how their presence relates to the position. You have a list of 6 generic and unrelated questions to answer and you are supposed to provide specific examples even though some questions are not designed well and do not allow for specific examples. There is no conversation and no feedback. One of the panelist kept making faces, mostly a confused face. He either had no idea what I was talking about or that was his role in the interview. Then after answering the questions, they give an opportunity for a closing statement, which I knew ahead of time but found so weird. As I walked out, I saw the next person in line for the interview, Honestly, I felt like I was part of their chicken factory. In a chicken factory, your personality is irrelevant. They are not even interested in getting to know you. If that is the case then they shouldn't interview people, there should be an actual essay or multiple choice test to evaluate for competencies then bring people back for a real interview, which is a conversation between 2 people or a group of people not some chicken factory. This has nothing to do with unions because I have been on other union job interviews, which were a conversation and not some impersonal process. You are then rated and if you make it to the top 7, they may call you in for another "interview" or simply fill the position from the list of 7. I don't know the outcome of the interview yet but such a process makes a person question if they even want such a job.

Interview Questions

• What makes you an ideal candidate for this position?   Answer Question
    • What's a conflict that your handled well and another conflict that you didn't handle well?   Answer Question
    • What's a process that you improved?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep your motivation and maintain your work, when you are short on staff/resources?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle irate and angry clients?   Answer Question

RN II, ER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at San Mateo County (San Mateo, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

The in-person panel exam is 10 or 12 questions. There is a scenario, two drug questions, a couple of questions on what did you do that didn't work, what you did that didn't work.

Interview Questions

• You have phenergan 25 mg in 1cc. The doctor orders 20mg. How much should you give?   Answer Question

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at San Mateo County (Redwood City, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very formal, panel interview. Different than a normal interview at a private company. 40 minutes to answer 8 questions to the best of your ability. Not allowed to ask interviewers questions

Energy Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Mateo County.

Interview

Applied online. took 1 month for response. Got a Phone interview. information on detailed day-to-day job responsibilities, moved on resume related questions, HR questions in the end.
    2-3 people asked questions.

Quality Control Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at San Mateo County in October 2009.

Interview

San Mateo County (SMC) must follow strict guidelines from the SEIU union contract. All applicants must receive an equal interviewing opportunity, respond to the same questions, have the same tests, meet with the same type of interview panel. Extra points are assigned to those who are currently within the SMC, but outside candidates have nearly an equal shot at each position.

Interview Questions

• Several of the questions had multiple components. You had to remember to answer each of them, or to ask to have the question repeated. You are judged on your response, tech. knowledge, and ability to remember all parts of the questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Mateo County in October 2008.

Interview

I started as an office assistant first, so it was easy to apply for the screening assessment specialist. If you want to work for the county, just get your foot in the door anywhere. It is each to move to a different position/department. But research the job listing that you are applying to first. Talk about the agency's mission. Mostly behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• If you had a client waiting in the lobby, an appt to meet your supervisor and an angry client on the phone all at the same time, what would you do?   Answer Question

Revenue Collector Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at San Mateo County in December 2008.

Interview

I was asked what kinds of experience I had with skip tracing along with taking a collection phone call. I was asked to describe a situation where I was forced to deal with an irate customer. The interview consisted of three people who were very straight to the point.

Elections Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at San Mateo County in October 2011.

Interview

The initial application process was simple. I filled out an online questionnaire which included 5 essays. I was contacted with an interview date about three weeks after the closing date. I spent about 1-2 days preparing for the job interview mainly by reviewing the job announcement, my resume and preparing sample questions and answers for the interview.

I spent about 5-10 minutes discussing the interview with an HR representative before I was brought into the room. They asked me five questions and gave me an opportunity for a closing statement. After my closing statement I engaged in an extended conversation with the hiring official.

A week after my interview, I was contacted by email and told that I ranked in the top 5 based on my interview score. Two weeks later I was notified by HR that the position had been filled and another candidate selected.

Interview Questions

• As per the rules you are not allowed to disclose interview questions.   Answer Question