Sandia National Laboratories Interview Questions in Albuquerque, NM | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 28, 2016

3.1

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied in February, but position closed due to internal problems. It reopened and then I received an email from the person who would be my supervisor to apply. I did, and then a phone interview was scheduled. During the phone interview, discuss some work ethics, the nature of the project, the goals of the project, my contribution in lab, salary range, etc. I wrote a quick email in thanks and waited two weeks. About one month later, I was scheduled to fly in for on-site interview. I gave a seminar and then met with 11 people that day from different departments.

Fire Protection Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

I had a very positive experience over all. Truly the biggest part of the interview was the 15 minute presentation that was required. No less than ten and no more than 15. Laying out the details of my education and describing 20+ years of work experience in relevance to the position was tough with the time limit. With that said....they need to stick to that format. It gave me an opportunity to highlight my skill set, education and ability to communicate all in one setting. They were professional, polite, open minded and just plain nice. After meeting the team it just increased my desire to work there.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to further your education towards obtaining a Masters and seek PE certification?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in September 2015.

Interview

Informal phone interview to describe the job specifics. Then a phone interview with the department manager. Next, an onsite interview where they flew me out to ABQ; this took all day (basically exposing me as much as possible since I lived so far away). This consisted of a 1 hr panel interview and several small interviews and tours from 7am-4:30pm, along with lunch with the manager. Everyone was extremely friendly and receptive. Overall, a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Nothing terribly difficult, mostly resume and school project questions.   Answer Question

Business Support Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

I was flown into Albuquerque for a one-hour interview. I found it strange that they flew me in for just one hour, because it was a management position which typically involves multiple interviews. After the interview, I discovered I was the token external candidate, so they could freely hire their preferred internal candidate. If that wasn't bad enough, I also discovered that the interviewers already had a congratulatory lunch planned for the internal candidate on the day I was there. I had wanted to work at Sandia for a long time, but this experience soured me on ever working there.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge you see for coming on board?   Answer Question

Semiconductor Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was with a panel of 8 people who asked a variety of fairly difficult questions. However , the overall process was somewhat ruined as they didn't get back to me at all for 3 weeks and probably wouldn't have at all had I not asked. It just seemed quite unprofessional in my opinion to fly a candidate out for an interview and to then not notify them at all.

Interview Questions

• They asked several technical questions about content on my resume totally unrelated to their field. Delving in depth on a few in ways that were unexpected.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in February 2015.

Interview

First had two phone interviews with different hiring managers in related departments. The in person interview was about 6 to 7 hours long. The first part was an interview with a hiring manager outside the department I was interviewing with. Then I gave an hour long presentation on my graduate research. Then a 1 hour panel with about 4 interviewers and a bunch of 1:1 interviews, a short tour of the department's lab, and a lunch interview. Overall, the interview was pretty standard for engineers just getting out of graduate school and applying to national laboratories. The rejection phone call came within the time period they projected. I was disappointed that the hiring manager stated he was unable to give feedback to me because of some corporate policy.

Interview Questions

• What was one major problem or hurdle you had to overcome in graduate school? They also asked about teamwork and leadership experience.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2014.

Interview

Interview day began with an HR briefing. Was picked up by group admin. assistant and taken to site for interview. Later, there was a team interview that included a person from outside the hiring group or its principle customers. The intent was to ensure the candidate could fit in well in other areas and was a cultural fit. There were five behavior-based questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had a customer with an impossible request or need. How did you handle it.   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied for position in August 2013. Received a phone call about 3 weeks later, and was interviewed on-site in September 2013.

I was interviewed by 3 panels of 2 people each. First was the hiring manager and a manager from another department. The hiring manager was a young guy, and came across very immature. I answered the questions honestly and with enthusiasm, which they responded positively.

The next panel was a pair of interviewers who recent joined the group. One of the people was someone I had actually gone to school with. The other individual simply stared at me with a odd look for the entire hour. Aside from that, it went okay.

The last panel was a pair of interviewers who had been at Sandia for 10+ years each. They were pretty nice, but kept trying to emphasize they weren't government employees and there was no way they could be furloughed.

The following week, a government shutdown occurred, and I was informed by the HR contact that they HAD been furloughed. One week later they emailed me saying I was a fantastic candidate, but had decided to cancel the position. I contacted the hiring manager several times when the government shutdown ended, and did not get a response.

Interview Questions

• So....you applied online? You must have been the only person to do so. (I should have realized at that point they either were just fishing for resumes or already had an internal candidate in mind)   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in June 2013.

Interview

This was a group interview in panel of five; approximately 2 hours in length; most questions were scenario based questions; During interview, it didn't appear I was the type of candidate they were looking for so I was somewhat confused as to why I invited to interview. I found out final determination about two weeks later.

Quality Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in May 2012.

Interview

Initially spoke with recruiter at a career fair. Applied online. Phone interview with hiring manager. Brought on-site for two days of intense interviews. Consisted of hour-long interviews with a variety of people from the hiring organization and outside the organization. Also had a group presentation and round table Q&A with area managers. All of the staff were excellent people who would be great to work with. Excellent benefits, great work culture, nice location.