Sandia National Laboratories Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 1, 2017

2.9

Undergrad Interview

Anonymous Employee in University City, St. Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (University City, St. Louis, MO) in September 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by a group of gentlemen who really knew their stuff. They really let me run the interview. They first introduced themselves, then after a few basic questions, asked me about my personal projects, those associated with my school and my own pursuits. I probably talked back and fourth with them for 45 minutes (It was supposed to be a 30 minute interview) and at the end I really felt like they were happy to have interviewed me. I heard back from the interviewer within a day with an offer for a job. Overall, great experience, but the interview was by no means easy. If I hadn't been able to show off my work, lots of technical work, and use and understand the terminology that is typical in this field I would have been kicked to the curb in seconds.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about these projects that you've listed on your resume.   Answer Question

Member Systems Engineer (Research & Development) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online in May. Received phone call in July to set up an interview in August. Had Face-to-Face Interview in August.

Half day series of interviews. Started with 30-45 minute technical presentation (did mine on project from grad school) in front of a couple department managers (including hiring manager) and staff members. Followed by panel interview with dept managers (including hiring manager) and staff members. Followed by interview with out-of-center department manager. Finally, lunch with hiring manager and a couple of staff members.

Interview Questions

• Questions during 30-45 minute presentation. Mostly behavioral, past experience, and resume/cover letter questions. Try to answer questions in STAR format (Situation or Task, Action you took, Results you achieved).   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Livermore, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I have a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview lasted approximately 1 hour, and it was mostly about my research, and skills. I was also asked if I was fine with working on NW. I was then invited to an onsite interview. The interview was from 8 am to 4 pm, nonstop. I had to give a 1 hour seminar at the morning, and then met individually with everyone that attended my seminar. I had 30 minutes interviews with staff withing the group I would be working with as well as people outside of the group. Questions were mostly about my research, and technical questions related to my research or the work I would be doing if I would get the job. Everyone was nice, and answered all of my questions. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but overall it was fine. I still don't know if I got the job or not.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories.

Interview

The interview process was good. I first had a phone interview during which they asked me various questions. After the phone interview I was flow to their office and asked to present on a technical topic during a brown bag. Finally, I had several in person interviews assessing my job fit and technical skills.

Interview Questions

• If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Appointee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was an formal meeting with staff members followed by technical presentation for 40 minutes. The event was a whole day , I had an opportunity to interact with most of the members in the energy storage program at Sandia.

Program/Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Livermore, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very lengthy and inefficient interviewing process. The process was not explained upfront and it kept on changing and morphing into several interviews along with one high pressure group interview. A great amount of documents, forms, along with pay stub, tax information, and college transcript dating back to 15 years ago were requested. At least three weeks of full time work are needed to fulfill Sandia hiring process requirements. Sandia totally ignored contacting me with result of their decision until I contacted HR few weeks later. Very unprofessional HR. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received a personal email a couple days later asking when I would be free to talk about the position and my interests. Had a fairly informal phone interview the following week: mostly talked about the various projects I had on my resume as well a couple typical behavioral interview questions. Also got the chance to hear more about the specifics of the position

Interview Questions

• What do you consider to be your greatest strength and your greatest weakness?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about some of your past research, projects, or classwork   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you've had a disagreement with a team member, and how you handled it   Answer Question

Clerical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in April 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by 3 ladies. They had a document of prepared questions that mainly asked about your skills and other behaviors. I enjoyed the interview and it was not a difficult process. The most difficult part is waiting for the background check to be complete (which takes 6-8 weeks).

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?
      What are your strengths?
      What do you know about Sandia's Internship Program?
      1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Livermore, CA).

Interview

A team member called up and immediately launched into the phone screen. This was followed up a couple weeks later by an interview with the hiring manager and the HR rep. A month later I was called in to present a one hour presentation on a topic of my choosing. About 20 people were in the room. The remainder of the day was one on one interviews with several of the people in the room.

After that, it took several months for them to extend an offer as the position (budget? job description?) was off again - on again.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the specific questions. They focus on behavioral questions - "Tell me about a time when ......"   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories in March 2016.

Interview

I received an email approximately one week after submitting my application on the company's web-based job portal. I was notified less than one week after my phone interview that they would like to fly me out for an interview. They wanted to fly me out in about three weeks but accommodated my schedule and allowed me to schedule the in-person interview approximately six weeks after the phone interview. The offer was made verbally two to three weeks after the interview, and my response was requested within a few days of the verbal offer. Once I accepted the offer verbally, the formal offer in writing was received via mail in a few days. I've been pressured to start asap even before verbally accepted the offer. Additional procedures were required, e.g. transcripts prior to interview, pre-employment background check, and enrollment in the GSA's security clearance identification processes, throughout the interviewing/hiring/on boarding processes.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any problems working with nuclear power?   Answer Question
    • Do you know of any reason you might not be able to receive a security clearance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was allowed to counter offer, but was told that any adjustments would be highly unlikely.