Sandia National Laboratories Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2015.

Interview

They asked very relevant questions regarding my technical expertise, my skills working on a team, and my work ethic. I knew from the interview exactly what I was getting into. I was treated with respect and they catered questions appreciative to my experiences to gauge my effectiveness.

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a dispute between yourself and another member of your team.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sandia National Laboratories

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Livermore, CA).

Interview

The interview process took quite a long time. I applied online, and got a phone screen from a hiring manager within a week. After the phone screen, he decided that he wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. By the time I finally got the in-person interview roughly 6 weeks passed.

As part of the in-person interview I was told that I needed to do a 30-45 minute technical presentation. I decided on doing one from grad school rather than one from work since I didn't have to worry about potentially revealing proprietary information about work. The day started around 8:30am and lasted until about 3pm. It consisted of 1:1 interviews with the hiring manager, as well as other hiring managers who also expressed interest in possibly hiring me. The people were quite friendly and professional the entire time.

After the interview, I was offered a position about 1 month later from a different hiring manager than the one that brought me in. Unfortunately, it was not the compensation that I was looking for so I decided to turn it down. I tried to negotiate with the hiring manager but the salary was a set number.

All in all, my experience with Sandia was positive. There are some really nice people there and if the numbers worked out, I would've been a part of it. Eventually, I could see myself possibly re-connecting down the line with some of the people there.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work experiences and what you've accomplished so far.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in March 2015.

Interview

I initially had the interview at a job fair at a university. The interview went well and I was invited to Sandia and have my second interview. For the second interview they had a scheduled from the time I got there (8am) to when I left (2-3pm). It was a total of 5 interviews or so, one with my future work group, another with my future manager, and several with other mangers and technical staff. They asked your typical questions and some technical questions but all in all I feel like they were just making sure you were someone they can work with.

Interview Questions

• typical interview questions, how well do you work in groups, how do you handle problems   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

Interview process usually starts with a technical presentation such as PhD or Master's research projects, followed by interviews with several members of your technical group. At least one of these is usually from outside your research area and will ask you about broader themes such as the research community, research processes, conferences etc. The interviews are usually very relaxed with the emphasis on you explaining ideas or research areas you are familiar with rather than question-based driving toward a single "correct answer." My experience was that staff were really trying to explore you thoughts and ideas. Knowledge of current research questions and themes helped considerably at this gave the interviewer and me something concrete to discuss. There was ample opportunity to ask the interviewers questions about the laboratories, the culture, the area (New Mexico) and research at the laboratory. I never felt that anyway was being hidden and I was encouraged to be open about what things I wanted to ask etc.

Interview Questions

• What area did I think the laboratory did not perform well in or an area where the laboratory could improve. This is difficult because of the obvious problem of being too critical. My experience here was to be open, explain that there are on-going challenges which require continuous improvements and explain how you could help there or what interests you bring to extend this in novel ways. The interviewer seemed very receptive to this conversation and was very supportive in exploring them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, felt the laboratory offered a good benefits package up front with opportunities for promotion in the future.

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in October 2014.

Interview

Timeline: the hiring process took almost three months. I was contacted for a phone interview two weeks after applying to the position online through Sandia's career website. The onsite interview was confirmed one week later, and took place four weeks after the phone interview. A verbal offer was extended seven weeks after the onsite interview. This longer than usual timeline was due to the holiday season and vacation. Communication and feedback were excellent throughout.

Phone interview: this was with an engineer with experience in the position and lasted about 30 minutes. It was very straightforward and casual: we discussed my interest in the position, qualifications, experience, biggest challange(s) and success(es) in my Ph.D. work, some details about how the group is composed, and life in Albuquerque.

Onsite interview: this was a full day, lasting from 8:30 - 4:30. First was an hour-long HR briefing with a few other interviewees at Sandia that day. I was then escorted to the group's building and gave a one hour seminar (50 minutes presentation, 10 minutes Q&A) on my Ph.D. research. This was surprisingly well attended by about 15 Sandians, about half of whom were not interviewing me later on but were just interested (this seems to reflect the atmosphere of the lab - learning and growth are definitely parts of the culture). The rest of the day consisted of a 30 minute 1:1, a 2 hour lunch with managers, two 1 hour 1:1s, and a 1 hour 8:1 group interview. Overall there was great balance between personal, technical, and behavioral discussions. I was given opportunities to show my expertise, sell my character and skills, and ask questions. All of the interviewers were positive and eager to both hear and talk about my fit within the group. I felt like they were selling Sandia to me as much as I was selling myself to them (what a relief this was!). The group interview was the toughest part, but that was expected: thinking out loud is hard for me in front of a group of people, but they understand it is stressful and helped me through parts where I struggled.

Overall: the entire process was a great experience. Logistical details were handled well and travel was easy.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about my research and I felt comfortable answering them after spending 5 years doing just that. There were a few unpredictable off the wall questions, the kind where sharing them does no good because they are random problems designed to see how you think.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary offer was higher than anticipated. I accepted without negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Kirtland AFB, NM

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Kirtland AFB, NM) in October 2014.

Interview

First off, I cheated. I have been a contractor at SNL for a few years. I had already developed a reputation and several professional contacts within Sandia before I applied.

1) Search for the job on Sandia's website.
    2) Apply for the job via Sandia's website.
    3) Discuss application with manager filling the position.
    4) Wait patiently for official email response from Sandia's hiring group.

Once I received the official email inviting me to an interview, I had a great deal of background paperwork to fill out. Most of this was easy, as I already carry a security clearance and had filled out similar paperwork two years before. Be prepared to detail everything about the last 10 years of your life.

I was also invited to a benefits meeting, where an HR rep detailed the benefits that Sandia offers.

Two weeks after the interview, I was given an official verbal job offer. Two days after that I received the official offer letter.

IMPORTANT POINT: The interview took place in the Limited Area. Do no take any personal electronics with you - no cell phones, mp3 players, cameras, etc. You will need to stay close to your escort the entire time you are in the Limited Area.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current position as a contract employee?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The hiring manager knew my current wage since I was a contract employee. This actually took a lot of the uncertainty out of the process. I was able to ensure a 13% increase in pay through casual conversation. This put me at just about the mid-point in the pay scale I was being hired into.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories.

Interview

Just like any high level scientific position. You give a talk about past work. A talk about future plans. And then meet with ~10-15 current staff scientists to discuss both their endeavors and your plans.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked for a sign on bonus and got one added.

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in February 2013.

Interview

It takes forever. HR briefing. Multiple interviews with technical staff. A "technical" presentation. Why do yo have a 50 word min Glassdoor?! bla bla bla bla bla bla

Negotiation

Painfully slow.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories.

Interview

Was an intern here so interview was mainly a formality. HR did their usual speech about what a wonderful place to work it is, but couldn't be helpful beyond that. Their moving package is handled by a third party contractor who has horrible web security, my personally identifiable information (SSN etc) was exposed by them which led to identity theft. The moving contractor employee I worked with went on vacation and never came back.

Interview Questions

• What was your worst course in college?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed. HR will low ball you and it's up to the hiring manager to reject it before he makes the offer to you, once your get the offer there is no negotiation allowed even if you have multiple offers. I had competing offers from LLNL and LANL and SNL wouldn't negotiate even though LANL's was higher.

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

First off your education accomplishments are highly regarded at Sandia. Even if you have many years of experience your grades will matter when you are hired. You also have to pass a very extensive background check which actually requires investigators to personally contact people you know. I was given a tour of the facility and shown several impressive technical achievements designed and built at Sandia. Then I was interviewed by 4 different managers to see where I fit best.

Interview Questions

• There were some very personal questions that I didn't expect. Technically the interview process was quite benign.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but was turned down.