Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 12, 2017

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute

Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough. I first had a phone interview. Then I was called in for a group interview. My references were thoroughly questioned as well and told me they felt like they were being interviewed. I consider this a positive thing though. I think interviewers should really try to find a good match for each position and ask a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a lot of "HR type questions" that did not really pertain to specific skills. A lot of "what-if", character questions.   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through Craigslist and received a phone call from the business inviting me to come in for an interview. I arrived and was interviewed by a Customer Service Representative and she asked me the standard questions. I was able to get the position offered to me, but I accepted the one at SBP instead.

Senior Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (La Jolla, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

It took 6 months to get the job. Started with a phone interview with HR, then a phone interview with a team member, then an in-person interview with the VP and another team member (different than the phone call), then I heard nothing for 2 months, then I was brought in to meet with the 2 more team members and a writing prompt before an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• They asked me questions based on how I would react to a stressful, deadline driven environment.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (La Jolla, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

One short interview, 20 minutes, with professor just to make sure science and personality all in the same page. Then a week later I was invited for a seminar, 1 hr with presentation plus questions. Questions ran as presentation was going and continued after. Then everyone in the room except the professor left and we talked for another 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• All related to science, from controls to data interpretation to future perspectives, mostly I didn't detect any tricks.   1 Answer

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (La Jolla, CA).

Interview

I was working at Sanford Burnham at the time and looking for a different job. I found the staff scientist position on Burnham's job page. Submitted my resume online and called up the person who was hiring. Got an interview right away. I had to wait for a couple of months until I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected part is that I was given an interview when I was only trying to find out more details about the job and not prepared at all.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

was a very confortable interview where the people that interviewed me wanted to know me, to know my goals, interest, etc. I had to present my previous work to prove my skills

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (La Jolla, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Personal meeting with PI and lab memebers

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Post Doc Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (La Jolla, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

One hour research seminar with future group members plus 30 min interviews with group members and PI. Lunch with lab members included.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute in April 2009.

Interview

A typical postdoc interview: consisted of a presentation followed by one on one interviews with other postdocs in the lab, other PI's, and the hiring PI.

Interview Questions

• What research question would you like to pursue?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Consisted of asking for a higher salary. Publication track record gives more leverage to a higher salary.