Sanford C. Bernstein Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sanford C. Bernstein Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

Equity Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in March 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with 3-4 people from associate to analyst to director of research. Very friendly and very thorough. Mostly fit questions and not many technical questions. Each ended with a market sizing case study. Only one asked for a stock pitch. They are looking for intellectual power and commitment to equity research. Almost everyone I spoke with had some consulting experience in the past.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through university, teleconference with a very senior person. The person was late for almost half an hour. HR gave out instructions on interview that is mostly centered around case studies, however, the actual interview has nothing to do with case studies. It was quite misleading.

Institutional Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY).

Interview

I came into the interview process at the later stages, and missed the initial round screening. The first interview consisted of 20-30min interviews with 4-5 members of the sales team you would be supporting. Each asked basic behavioral questions, and nothing too in-depth. I was selected to come back in for a final round interview. This interview consisted of 10 minute interviews with each of the same sales personnel. This round I was asked to make a pitch, as the assistant role is designed as a pipeline into a full sales role.

They really harped on the fact that the role is very administrative in nature. I would be careful about how much you emphasize the institutional sales side of the job, versus the admin side. It's a difficult spin to offer both a forward looking interest, ie. that it leads into a sale position, while concurrently an administrative interest.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you have that would make you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

First round on campus interview. 2 interviewers. Background questions + behavioral + market sizing. There are follow up questions on market sizing, for example, how a new product may change current market size and why

Interview Questions

• Strength and weakness; Give an example that demonstrates intellectual curiosity; market sizing - $ market size of US TV market   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Interview

On-campus mix of interview questions. Mostly revolved around market sizing question (total market for animated movies). The overall interview was routine, went through question by question. It seemed to go well but then the case question took a while to get through. They don't seem to be looking for equity research analysts as much as they're looking for consultants who didn't get a job in consulting so they turn to research...

Interview Questions

• What class did you enjoy the most, what do you do for fun?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY).

Interview

I had couple rounds of interviews. First round was two back-to-back interviews with senior analyst and director of research in HK. They invited me to participate a super day interview in New York to meet couple senior analysts and I was asked to finish a test (Very challenging from my perspective). After couple days they asked me to sit in the office to listen to a conference call and develop a research report, which mocked the real-time business situation. I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral questions in the interview.
      They used case studies which were similar to interviews for consultants.
      5 hard core questions which covered the knowledge of financial statements analysis, modeling, writing, stock pitching, math and brain teasers.
      A one hour writing test to develop a research report after a conference call.
      Answer Question

Trading Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted my resume online and within a few weeks had a phone conversation with what would be my boss. The conversation was just a general description of the job and discussion of my background and interest in trading. It was fairly easy.

Next, I was invited for a day long interview. I talked to my future boss, his subordinate, two other directors in the trading group and the manager of the entire trading floor. Most of the interviewers just wanted to know about my background in general and computer science in specific. One manager gave me a few easy problems to solve. It was a marathon process of 6 hours (with a brief lunch break and a break to receive a phone call).

Two days later I was asked to submit some sample code and answer a few questions about it. Two weeks later I received an offer. We negotiated for about a week after that.

Interview Questions

• Given this graph of a stock's price over time, can you find any patterns that we may exploit to execute a large sell order? What might be causing this pattern?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein.

Interview

Short process and very professional from first phone conversation to the two interviews over a week long period. The company failed to mention all women had to wear skirts only and they provided (actually mandated) breakfast and lunch and you were never really able to leave the office until the end of work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sanford C. Bernstein (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and received a phone interview with the Head of HR. The interview was straight forward. Started with an intro about myself and then dived into a market sizing exercise.

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

One 30 minute interview - half fit and then a case. One HR person and a business analyst interviewed me, which was different than most other firms. They wanted me to forecast where Chipotle will be in ten years. You have to have a good handle on economic forecasting and business sense.